Worldcon for Beginners

Interviews with Contest judges, past winners, current winners, and entrants
Mike Resnick

Re: Worldcon for Beginners

Postby Mike Resnick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm

I can't speak for what anyone else is doing, but I know I'm doing the folloing:

-- a presentation of 5 short films made from my stories (about 2 1/2 hours)

-- a 110-photo slide show - "Baby Photos" - showing a bubch of beardless and braless wannabee
young writers, juxtaposed to the decrepit, withered, incontinent superstars they've become

-- a Guest of Honor speech. I've never spoken from a text or notes, so I won't know what it's
about until I open my mouth. If it'll make you feel any safer, Hugo-winning File 770 has
declared that Silverberg and I are the best public speakers in science fiction's history.
(I've told the elegant Mr. S to scratch and grunt a lot that weekend, so the GOH doesn't
look too bad by comparison.)

-- a panel featuring hilarious and embarrassing stories from science fiction's past that never
made it into the history books or fanzines, with me, Joe Haldeman, Bob Silverberg,
and Gardner Dozois

-- a panel with a number of my book, movie and short story collaborators, including your
own Brad Torgersen

-- a panel on science fiction and fantasy in the musical theater, with me, Laura Turtledove
(Harry's wife, and my bootleg Broadway video trading partner, who has written a wonderful
book on musicals), and the Female Person From Colorado (Connie Willis, for the uninformed).

-- a panel with a number of my European publishers and collaborators on the sf scene over there

-- a 90-minute reading. 3 stories: one hilarious, one charming, one grim.

-- a mass autograph session for WIN SOME, LOSE SOME, the GOH book featuring 30 of my
Hugo nominees and winners, each introduced by a different pro. About 20 will be there
to sign along with me.

I know I'm forgetting a panel, and I'm sure there's other stuff. but that's the bulk of it.

I'm tired already.

-- Mike
Hugo & Nebula multi-award winner
Writers of the Future Contest Judge
www.mikeresnick.com

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Mike Resnick wrote:I see Chicon 7 is up around 5200 members. Should be pushing 5600 or so by the time it starts. They tell me that
the schedule will be posted on the web page early next week. The committee has not only rented out the Adler
Planetariun for Thursday night, but they've also bought 75 seats to a Cubs game, which they'll distribute among interested members. (As a kid who grew up on the South Side of Chicago, I of course abominate the Cubs, but it's a thoughtful gesture anyway.) :-)

Mike

South side! I have family that grew up there. They're Cardinals fans for good reason though (they moved to St. Louis and they wanted to root for a winner). And can't wait for Adler, though I wish I could get tix for my fam for just that night since they're not going to the Con and are just seeing the sights while I'm there. Their loss! wotf008
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

Mike Resnick

Postby Mike Resnick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Makes sense to root for the Cardinals if you're a South Sider. Reason: long before that football team out
in Arizona was the Cardinals, they were the St. Louis Cardinals, and if you go back to pre-history
when I was a kid, they were the Chicago Cardinals and played in Commisky Park.

Mike
Hugo & Nebula multi-award winner
Writers of the Future Contest Judge
www.mikeresnick.com

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:03 am

The signups for a pro critique are up on the Chicon website. I signed up.

http://www.chicon.org/writers-workshops.php
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

Return to “Interviews: Entrants, Judges, Past Winners”