Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

kdwentworth

Re: Does K.D. still come to the forum?

Postby kdwentworth » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Just wondering.

Yes, I'm here every day like the Guardian of Forever, waiting for a question (that I haven't already answered). {g}
KDWentworth

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:52 pm

kdwentworth wrote:

Yes, I'm here every day like the Guardian of Forever, waiting for a question (that I haven't already answered). {g}

Well, (heehee since you offered) a question was raised in the thread "Quoting vs Plagiarism" ...

So since it has been asked before, technically speaking ... maybe it doesn't apply here?

Several folks offered our insights, but it was also suggested that maybe it wouldn't be laid to rest by our mere opinions ... since it touches not only upon WOTF contest rules but also a nuance of interpretation. :?:

It boiled down to this:

Based on my admitted twin raging demons of Paranoia and Legalism, however, I guess I ask wishing to be reassured that (given the WOTF rules that define 'plagiarism')

Using "public domain" material that is indeed credited ...
but for which 'written permission' is impossible ...
isn't
a technicality that would force WOTF to reject an otherwise winning story.

Contest rules, like Supreme Court technicalities of procedure, sometimes force the hands of Judges who could otherwise be free to obey their higher natures and own common sense.

These obscure issues just pop out at me unbidden, I swear.

I have a character who quotes Scripture, a lot, as part of his character's motivation and thus drives the story.

[ETA] In full disclosure, there are a few actual uses of Scripture (not spoken by a character) used as independent paragraphs between fiction/story scenes. Fully credited by chapter and verse, etc ... but 'third party' poetry, where no 'permission' is available, obviously.

It seemed to me (and I could be being, as admitted, overly-legalistic and paranoid here) that a Judge could feel themselves bound by the mere technicality of a rule to reject a story based on such a use of 'third party' public domain quotes.

Is that a danger, in your opinion?

Just wondering. As I suggested, it's mostly a paradox of nuance and interpretation, respectful of the fine contest's fine rules, and easily settled, if one cares to.

I mean, when a Theban Sphinx asks to be asked a question, one wishes to have a question to ask! :D
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 am

I just read WOTF Vol 13

The Winds by Heidi Stallman

quotes a few lines from a poem by Robert Burns.

I presume Public Domain comes into play....

For what it's worth

Steve

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:35 am

OK, thanks K.D!
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

kdwentworth

Postby kdwentworth » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 am

soulmirror wrote:
kdwentworth wrote:

Well, (heehee since you offered) a question was raised in the thread "Quoting vs Plagiarism" ...

So since it has been asked before, technically speaking ... maybe it doesn't apply here?

Several folks offered our insights, but it was also suggested that maybe it wouldn't be laid to rest by our mere opinions ... since it touches not only upon WOTF contest rules but also a nuance of interpretation. :?:

It boiled down to this:

Based on my admitted twin raging demons of Paranoia and Legalism, however, I guess I ask wishing to be reassured that (given the WOTF rules that define 'plagiarism')

Using "public domain" material that is indeed credited ...
but for which 'written permission' is impossible ...
isn't
a technicality that would force WOTF to reject an otherwise winning story.

Contest rules, like Supreme Court technicalities of procedure, sometimes force the hands of Judges who could otherwise be free to obey their higher natures and own common sense.

These obscure issues just pop out at me unbidden, I swear.

I have a character who quotes Scripture, a lot, as part of his character's motivation and thus drives the story.

[ETA] In full disclosure, there are a few actual uses of Scripture (not spoken by a character) used as independent paragraphs between fiction/story scenes. Fully credited by chapter and verse, etc ... but 'third party' poetry, where no 'permission' is available, obviously.

It seemed to me (and I could be being, as admitted, overly-legalistic and paranoid here) that a Judge could feel themselves bound by the mere technicality of a rule to reject a story based on such a use of 'third party' public domain quotes.

Is that a danger, in your opinion?

Just wondering. As I suggested, it's mostly a paradox of nuance and interpretation, respectful of the fine contest's fine rules, and easily settled, if one cares to.

I mean, when a Theban Sphinx asks to be asked a question, one wishes to have a question to ask! :D

Quoting from the public domain should never be a problem.
KDWentworth

Prisoner

Postby Prisoner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 pm

nice TOS reference there, but rather self-deprecating.

I've seen photos of you and you're much prettier than, well, :oops: :oops:
a big hole.

But then so are most of us, I hope!

My latest entry is a long one, for which I can only say...suffer.

:D

Prisoner
6xHM blog

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm

kdwentworth wrote:Quoting from the public domain should never be a problem.

Thanks for the answer! That's good to know, saves a ton of "but ... what if's" etc! :D
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

kdwentworth

Postby kdwentworth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:23 pm

For those of you in the Austin area, I will be at Armadillocon this weekend. On Saturday, Aug. 15th, we'll have a "Writers of the Future and Other Contests" panel at 9 P.M. Come and hang out!
KDWentworth

Return to “Interviews: Entrants, Judges, Past Winners”