Got problems with submitting? Need help with the forum? Anything else?
Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Avatar Trouble

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:11 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
amoskalik wrote:I have to hatch my own personality before I can hope for an alter ego. Trust the process, right?

Indeed. Erm. wotf005

Gator started out as a mere avatar, then became so much more... wotf019
In fact, she wasn't so much hatched, as bought. Even though it was 8 years ago I vividly remember buying her. Her mugshot was displayed on a wall in Second Life, alongside the mugshots of a whole range of other googly-eyed animal avatars by the same maker. The frog was quite nice too but there was no doubt in my mind she was the cutest. But did I really want to be an alligator? Who on earth wants to be an alligator? I knew nothing of alligators. I'm British, I don't even remember seeing a real life alligator. Surely they're just these crude, cruel, stupid, aggressive, giant, ugly things that sometimes eat people? (Wrong, of course, I know better now, they are complex creatures, are rather timid, have their caring side and even use tools! wotf006 ) Hmm, but being a gator could be amusing, said a small voice somewhere. So I bought her. And so it began.

I'm smiling here. Such a great story!
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:
amoskalik wrote:I have to hatch my own personality before I can hope for an alter ego. Trust the process, right?

Indeed. Erm. wotf005

Gator started out as a mere avatar, then became so much more... wotf019
In fact, she wasn't so much hatched, as bought. Even though it was 8 years ago I vividly remember buying her. Her mugshot was displayed on a wall in Second Life, alongside the mugshots of a whole range of other googly-eyed animal avatars by the same maker. The frog was quite nice too but there was no doubt in my mind she was the cutest. But did I really want to be an alligator? Who on earth wants to be an alligator? I knew nothing of alligators. I'm British, I don't even remember seeing a real life alligator. Surely they're just these crude, cruel, stupid, aggressive, giant, ugly things that sometimes eat people? (Wrong, of course, I know better now, they are complex creatures, are rather timid, have their caring side and even use tools! wotf006 ) Hmm, but being a gator could be amusing, said a small voice somewhere. So I bought her. And so it began.

I'm smiling here. Such a great story!

Yes, just be sure not to repeat it in front of her majesty. She doesn't remember that day, or so she claims. She thinks she was hatched like a regular gator. wotf017
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:15 am

Thanks for the help guys. I finally found something that loaded but it shows an ad now and then.
It's a start of a learning curve I'm sure.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 am

storysinger wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I finally found something that loaded but it shows an ad now and then.
It's a start of a learning curve I'm sure.

oh it's a real ad -- I just thought it was hipster irony!
wotf019
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:09 am

Ok, most pics I have online are on Facebook, but it doesn't seem to want to let me link there. Any suggestions?
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:49 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Ok, most pics I have online are on Facebook, but it doesn't seem to want to let me link there. Any suggestions?

Photobucket tends to work for me.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Ok, most pics I have online are on Facebook, but it doesn't seem to want to let me link there. Any suggestions?

I used a Twitter picture, but Facebook should work the same--if you right click on the image, you should get the option of "Copy image address." You can then paste it into the "Link off-site" on the avatar section of your control panel. If I remember correctly, I had to specify the dimensions (100x100) in the provided boxes to get it to work.

You might run into problems if the image isn't public on your Facebook page, but I'm not sure.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:15 am

Beth Powers wrote:

I used a Twitter picture, but Facebook should work the same--if you right click on the image, you should get the option of "Copy image address." You can then paste it into the "Link off-site" on the avatar section of your control panel. If I remember correctly, I had to specify the dimensions (100x100) in the provided boxes to get it to work.

You might run into problems if the image isn't public on your Facebook page, but I'm not sure.

Facebook refused to work, but Twitter did. Thank you. wotf013
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Facebook refused to work, but Twitter did. Thank you. wotf013

Good! After I posted, I was thinking that I might have tried Facebook first too (it's been awhile since I changed it)--I don't know why Twitter works when it doesn't wotf017

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

I hate to resurrect such a long-dead thread, but I can't seem to get the avatar system working. I've tried linking to pictures from Twitter, Imgur, and Photobucket. None have worked, even when I enter the dimensions in the appropriate boxes. Is anyone else having this trouble post-update? Thanks!
R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!
Short story forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies!

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 am

Jeremyteg wrote:I hate to resurrect such a long-dead thread, but I can't seem to get the avatar system working. I've tried linking to pictures from Twitter, Imgur, and Photobucket. None have worked, even when I enter the dimensions in the appropriate boxes. Is anyone else having this trouble post-update? Thanks!

I decided to try and re-save my current avatar as a test, and it said the URL is invalid every time I tried (although it didn't remove my current image). This problem may well be universal. On the upside, it's probably also temporary. wotf009
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for double checking that. Hopefully its gets resolved soon. I feel weird as a blank slate. wotf004
R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:I hate to resurrect such a long-dead thread, but I can't seem to get the avatar system working. I've tried linking to pictures from Twitter, Imgur, and Photobucket. None have worked, even when I enter the dimensions in the appropriate boxes. Is anyone else having this trouble post-update? Thanks!

Jeremy,
As a test, e-mail me your avatar and I'll host it. Maybe it needs private hosting?
Actually, PM me, and I'll send you my e-mail. Until the bots are taken care of, better to not post our e-mail addresses.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Despite Dustin's valiant efforts, I am still getting the "Invalid URL error." wotf004
R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 am

Brad,

There seems to be a 6kb limit on the avatars.
That and the usual 100x100px.

However, Jeremy and I uploaded a 3kb pic at 50x50px and still got the same error.
So the 6kb limit doesn't seem to be the issue.

I'll do some more troubleshooting later on to see if I can narrow this down.

Meanwhile, that's the progress report.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm

This is frustrating.

I am doing everything correctly and the Avatar link keeps flagging the error: "The URL you specified is invalid."

Well the URL is perfectly valid: http://www.chernik.com/images/LazGray_100x100.gif

and the image is within the specifications: 100px X 100px, and under 6k (it's actually 4,242 bytes)

The code is obviously flawed. What is the work around?

Thank you.

Lazarus
"I plan to live forever, or die trying."
-Vila Restal (Blake 7)

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Lazarus wrote:This is frustrating.

I am doing everything correctly and the Avatar link keeps flagging the error: "The URL you specified is invalid."

This is exactly the problem Dustin was helping me with. I think we're still waiting for Brad to figure it out.
R x 2
HM x 2
SHM x 4
First Place Q1 Vol 34!

Return to “Problems and Troubleshooting”