Animated images

Got problems with submitting? Need help with the forum? Anything else?
Grayson Morris

Animated images

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 am

I'm just throwing this out here -- I'm fully aware I may be part of a very small minority, in which case, I happily bow to the majority desire.

Animated gifs drive me batty. While that includes jumping, clapping, shooting, saluting or otherwise mobile smilies, I've managed to live with those since they were introduced here. I know a lot of folks like them. But I'd really like to draw the line at black-and-white flashing avatar images. (Sorry, astounding, no ill will toward you.) The easiest way to do that would be to draw the line at animated images in sigs and avatars altogether.

As I said, I may be the only one or one of the very few, in which case I certainly don't expect the forum to change a thing. But if there are enough folks here who would prefer less wiggling and jiggling and flashing as they read, well, count me in.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Strycher

Re: Animated images

Postby Strycher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:29 am

I scroll my screen so that those animated images aren't visible. The movement makes it basically impossible for me to read any text, and I've lost more than a few minutes staring at the guy playing chicken with a tank.

This is just a data point. I can continue with my web-browser-position-ninjery if signature gifs are here to stay. I find Astounding's signature gif to be very entertaining. And travesty's avatar where the stick figures are trapped. Hilarious!

hmmm . . . It's possible that only Grayson and I are liable to stand on the front porch screaming at neighbor kids to get off the damn lawn.

hlf

Postby hlf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 am

Strycher wrote:hmmm . . . It's possible that only Grayson and I are liable to stand on the front porch screaming at neighbor kids to get off the damn lawn.

Hey! I've done that.

But since I'm also not a fan of smilies or flashing images, I have them turned off in my user display options (Board preferences - Edit display options). So they just appear as img. And if I really want to see what all the buzz is about, I look at thread without being signed in. So... solution?
HL Fullerton

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:11 am

hlf wrote:But since I'm also not a fan of smilies or flashing images, I have them turned off in my user display options (Board preferences - Edit display options). So they just appear as img. And if I really want to see what all the buzz is about, I look at thread without being signed in. So... solution?

You know, I didn't even think of that!

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Indeed! Thanks, HL. Great suggestion. Everyone happy. Yay.

ETA: Wait, I already had Flash animations turned off. Looks like the only other options are to not display icons/avatars at all? Hmmm. Will snuffle more.

ETA2: Yep, looks like my only other choices are to stop displaying images altogether. I'd hate to do that. I'd like to see static images. Oh, well; I'll try it with images off for a while and see how that works for me.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 am

I have a sentimental fondness for stick figure animation, so I'm afraid I'm a little biased here.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

I like the animated gifs. I still want the damn kids off my lawn though. It drives my dog nuts.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

I like images. I like animated gifs. I liked coloured font but gave that up. I'm glad there is an easy fix to avoiding gifs ... because limiting free speech or others' options to self-expression is a fix, born of principle, that does not weigh easy upon me, personally speaking.

'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 am

I love smilies, and don't mind the more sedate animated gifs. But I'm with Grayson, if they are flashing, headache-inducing, disco-style in-your-face thingys I don't like them at all.

As for the Gator, she did consider having a little tantrum about them herself, but as often happens with her, lethargy won the day and she couldn't be bothered.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:15 pm

http://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/girl-on-tire-swing_thumb.gif?w=588&h=763

Frozen in place
May work for long trips through space /
But when the starship lands beneath a distant sun
It's moving that's fun ...

wotf011
Last edited by soulmirror on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:19 pm

http://wapgroups.com/pics/SCI-FI-ADDICT/2CsJKNA2bWuG9R40xUVJ.gif

Thois one I offer from simple cruelty to the genre ...

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Ha! Awesome!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 pm

soulmirror wrote:I like images. I like animated gifs. I liked coloured font but gave that up. I'm glad there is an easy fix to avoiding gifs ... because limiting free speech or others' options to self-expression is a fix, born of principle, that does not weigh easy upon me, personally speaking.

Scott, I agree with you wholeheartedly on free speech and self-expression. I agree that my difficulty with animated images is mine to bear. I also know that sometimes people don't even realize something they're doing makes another person uncomfortable, and a little communication can resolve the situation. If someone's too warm, for example, the other folks in the room may be perfectly happy to open a window.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:04 am

I finally learned how to post avatars. Now I'd like to learn to post pictures and gifs.
It's all part of my continuing education. wotf001
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 am

storysinger wrote:I finally learned how to post avatars. Now I'd like to learn to post pictures and gifs.
It's all part of my continuing education. wotf001

It's all a matter of putting the image link in between those wonderful img tags. wotf008

Example!

If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks disgruntledpeony, here kitty, kitty.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Return to “Problems and Troubleshooting”