Forum Etiquette: Comic Strip Signatures

Got problems with submitting? Need help with the forum? Anything else?
Martin L. Shoemaker

Forum Etiquette: Comic Strip Signatures

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm

When I'm not writing fiction or writing code, I sometimes write a comic strip, And I sometimes like to use one of my panels as a signature in emails and such.

Before I do that here, I thought I'd check whether there's some custom or unwritten rule regarding this. I know on some forums in the past, some people have objected to the screen space wasted, the bandwidth wasted, or the distractions of images in the text. So I thought it best to see if there's objections here first.

(Some have objected to my sad, sick sense of humor; but that's a separate matter...)

Thanks!

Martin
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Re: Forum Etiquette: Comic Strip Signatures

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 am

I don't object, as long as the image size is small. Soulmirror's signature images are about as big as I want to go. Anything more than that, and it's overkill.
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 am

I don't object, as long as the image size is small. Soulmirror's signature images are about as big as I want to go.

Thank you, Brad! It's nice to be the "ruler" by which the extreme limits of bad taste are defined !!! 8)

(I say that with tongue-in-chic, of course, it's your forum to moderate as you wish ... but it's nice to know I'm not being a pointy stick in anyone's eye etc)

I know on some forums in the past, some people have objected to the screen space wasted, the bandwidth wasted, or the distractions of images in the text. So I thought it best to see if there's objections here first.

Hi, Martin! As an IotF person, I bet other IotF folks (and writers too) would enjoy seeing a co-forum comrade's comic strip sig!

I quote ya above just as an excuse to trot out and dust off my usual philosophical observation:
That it's a forum for TWO co-equal contests, one word-artist based and one visual-artist based.

You of course are being totally right on and thoughtful to make your points above (especially the non-aesthetic concern about bandwidth) ...

But it reflexively awakes in me the need to wonder (hypothetically?) if the average IotF'er new to the forum might not feel something of a second-class citizen if they were to read even the suggestion that images are screen space wasted or a distraction from the text ... and then not see the suggestion be at least challenged. :)

I get that you're WANTING to share your own visuals with us all !!! (So I'm certainly quoting you to support you, not dispute you!) Personally speaking as only another comrade forum-mate I wish more folks would share their images!

But to suggest the obvious: Images are no more a distraction here (imo) than they are in the WOTF anthology book itself! :)

For a new IOTF contestant to come to our contests' forum and see only words ... ???

T'is heartache. Heart ache and then they (my fear is) move on ... instead of stick around to see what ILLUSTRATORS contest help and comrade-ship the forum might provide (especially after they join the conversation!)

It's a measure of how cool a moderator Brad is that IotF'ers can feel so at home here ... despite the obvious observation that there are far more word-creators here than visual arts artists ...
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 am

soulmirror,

All good points. Unfortunately, "Writers of the Future" seems to be the brand identity. And sometimes even the brand owners find that it's difficult to change brand identity once it gets fixed in the minds of the public. Before I had entered WotF, I never knew there was an Illustrators of the Future. To be honest, I also didn't know WotF was a contest. It was just a name I saw in the book stores, and then a market I saw on Duotrope. But at least I was aware of it.

It would be good if Galaxy Press could work on this. I suspect they have some constraints based on the original rules of the contest and the terms of the Hubbard bequest; and in particular, I suspect they can't change the name of the annual volume. All speculation, with no grounds, but that's what I suspect. But if it's true, perhaps they could still modify the front cover blurb: "The Best New Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, with Art by the Illustrators of the Future".

As for my comic strip sigs... Thanks for the approval, Brad. I doubt my stick-figure art will inspire many Illustrators of the Future. Unless it inspires them to snort and say, "I can do better than that in a coma!"

Martin
Martin L. Shoemaker

NNiNN

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Well, I meant to mean that the forum here serves both contests and both contests' artists/writers. (Viddy well the Forum title above, my droog! "Forum for Writers & Illustrators" etc)

Happily, the WOTF ANTHOLOGY has 500 or so pages of story versus 12 pages of illustration ... so folks are buying it for the stories foremost (and then are merely being amazed and enraptured by the illustrations) :)

And indeed, the Writing contest pre-dated the Illustrator contest by five or six years.

So "Writers of the Future" is a beyond question valid (and necessarily succinct) title for the book itself ...

One could even suggest that since WOTF is one of the few illustrated anthologies out there --

(I'd luv to see folks here offer a list of OTHER illustrated Sci-Fi and Fantasy markets, for we who might illustrate and submit to them also!)

-- that illustrations are an integral part of the WOTF "brand" too, as you point out!

But in general, no worry, bringing up the issue is just an new occasion for me to riff on a favourite issue (somewhat like inviting a life-sucking vampire into your home ... or an editor telling a struggling writer to "Send me whatever you've got" ... No telling what monstrousities you've just invited in!) :D

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Yes, the forum is "Forum for Writers & Illustrators"; but even here, the brand identity is very story-centric:

The forum title is in relatively small font; but the big banner at the top of the page is all "Writers of the Future". Like the book, that's just what the brand identity is, and there's no reason to change that. But a quick glance at the page without looking closely at the inner text says nothing about Illustrators.
    There's a forum topic for Story Discussions, but not for Illustration Discussions.
    There's a forum for Ask K.D., but nothing for the Illustrator guru. For that matter, I haven't yet even heard the name of whoever fills K.D.'s role on the Illustrator side. I had to read through the artist judges to learn that it's Ron Lindahn.
    Information Alley is subtitled "Information and discussion, from/about selling authors and pro editors". No mention of artists.

And that's without even looking at the topics under those headers. From my impression, the topics there are even more lopsided.

Not that I want to create more work for Brad; but the forum could be a little more welcoming to Illustrators if it had an Illustrations Discurssion section, and if the Information Alley blurb were updated. And assuming Ron Lindahn has time, an Ask Ron section would be nice.

I'll never be an IotF entrant; but I have artists in the family, and artist friends. I'm making them aware of the contest. Now I'm hoping the forum can be as much of a resource for them as it is for me.

Martin
Martin L. Shoemaker

NNiNN

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:54 pm

You have several valid points indeed, Martin!

And hopefully more and more Illustrators will come to the forum and share their juice
(anyone who spends only five minutes on the glorious deviantART website will see the immense pool of talented artists -- and future IotF contestants -- out there who could rock and shock future IOTF!)

http://browse.deviantart.com/

But while Brad didn't design the forums (and I cannot even begin to guess the amount of time and effort involved in re-designing them, though every one of your suggestions sounds really cool) I know from being here a while that since taking on his labours (and in doing so, doing the forum a great favour) he's made the forum very welcoming to Writers and Illustrators alike! :)

So the forum certainly provides the tools and opportunity and venue for IOTF Illustrators to come here and build the "Illustrators' paradise" we'd ALL benefit from (IotF and WotF both) !!!

Please do inform and invite your Illustrator friends to come and join in!

Slowly and surely there is already a growing momentum of contestants here who are entering BOTH contests ...

Or Writers and Illustrators finding each other here to collaborate on graphic novels or illustrations for their own stories, e-magazines or e-books ...

And like it or not, as Writing moves onto the internet in quantities and qualities we may not even be able to imagine yet ... writers will fave an increasing need for visual art to successfully market their words (imo) ...

I am surprised that these forums are not already flooded by Writers and Illustrators both!

All I can suggest from personal experience is: everyone can happily Realize and Remember that Illustrators feel most at home in a website that maintains a broader "Visual" environs and style than a few Writers are used to.

(Not "comfortable" with, just "used to" ... because there is nothing any Writer should feel "uncomfortable" about interacting with visual arts and images ... not in a forum of a book made from a contest that purposely contains both word and image ... and is all the more distinctive and entertaining because of it!) :)

We luv the Anthology's amazing (and sales-increasing) COVER ART ...
We luv the Anthology's amazing (and contest & sales-increasing) interiour story ILLUSTRATIONS ...

Its FORUM too benefits from celebrating VISUAL ART also!

Return to “Problems and Troubleshooting”