Q4 Reject swap

For confidential exchange of story critiques
Deborah Wolf

Q4 Reject swap

Postby Deborah Wolf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 am

A hearty congratulations to the HMs, finalists, and so forth! :)

Now...this may not be the correct forum for this question, so forgive me in advance for being boorish (not really; I just wanted to use the word 'boorish' before I'd had any coffee, heh). This was my first submission to WotF, and I'd like to know where and how my story was off, as my driving goal is to become an awesome storyteller and make people stay up till the wee hours reading so they're up late and therefore not in my way during my morning commute.

I tried joining a writer's group up here, but met a bunch of...I think they were poets?...wearing black turtlenecks and beanies, drinking red whine, and one of them also made strange string-and-antler art with soda cans and a voodoo doll hanging from it. I kept waiting for Dr. Who to show up and save me. I doubt any of them would admit to geeking out over the Game of Thrones trailers.

I write Fantasy (it's a bit dark and gritty, and there are no Elves). And I'll bet more than one of you on this board can hum the Game of Thrones theme song. I'm happy to swap critiques, but I warn you: I'm not a frequent reader of SF, and though I can tell a good story from a stinker, current SF tropes are outside my purview.
Don't mess with fantasy writers; we know whether human is white meat or red, and sweeten our coffee with tears.

kirbdor

Re: Q4 Reject swap

Postby kirbdor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Deborah,

I'd be more than happy to swap rejections. This was my first time entering as well, and I would really like some more feedback on what I did wrong.

Be warned, mine is about 16,000 words.

Let me know.

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”