Looking for an extra set of eyes re: balance issues

For confidential exchange of story critiques
jkenton

Looking for an extra set of eyes re: balance issues

Postby jkenton » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 am

I have a story. It is a potential entry.

The story is between 8-10 K. Mainly what I'm looking for is some feedback on balance between the "introduction" section and it's events, back-story, etc... and the "meat" of it. Too much intro, not related to the story enough, or is it in the Goldilocks Zone? Are they out of whack, is it a jarring transition, etc? Any other, deeper feedback is of course eagerly welcomed with the song of my people and an imaginary feast.

I would be happy to provide whatever meaningful critiques or feedback I can on your story or section or whatever, but be advised, I'm new to this word-herding business.

capt367272

Re: Looking for an extra set of eyes re: balance issues

Postby capt367272 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46 am

I would be happy to help. I also have several things that i wouldn't mind someone looking at. How do we start? I have to warn you, I am not a big pure fantasy fan. However I would certainly remain objective and give it my best shot. Jim

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm

capt367272 wrote:I would be happy to help. I also have several things that i wouldn't mind someone looking at. How do we start? I have to warn you, I am not a big pure fantasy fan. However I would certainly remain objective and give it my best shot. Jim

PM's I guess, since we can't mention any story here, lest we skeeve the judgery. This thing is space opera with a sweet, crunchy hard sci-fi shell. I'd be happy to give a read to your work too, although I'm new to this contest and what's normally expected. But I can talk about things like character consistency, narrative feel and spot the odd bit of scalding anti-science when it's poured down my leg.

So send me your email addy in a PM and we'll exchange goodies. I look forward to reading your work, and to getting some feedback from people I'm not paying in beef jerky.

capt367272

Postby capt367272 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

I hat to be technology ignorant, but what is a PM? I look forward to exchanging with you. Jim

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm

capt367272 wrote:I hat to be technology ignorant, but what is a PM? I look forward to exchanging with you. Jim

Private message. Just click my name, and it'll bring up a profile screen with the option "send a private message."

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

"Skeeve the judgery" is a great phrase. wotf019
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

yoyo123

Postby yoyo123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't mind being a test reader if you want another set of eyes. Just send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you an email address. Fair warning though, I have only done a handful of critiques...I'll do my best, though! =)

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”