F&SF exchange -- 9,600 words

For confidential exchange of story critiques
Elen Tel'Ithil

F&SF exchange -- 9,600 words

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 am

If anyone has a story of comparable length that they'd like to swap with me (for F&SF or another market), just PM me or comment here that you'd like my email address for a crit swap!

If you'd like some background:
This story was a WotF HM this past quarter (vol 31, q4), but there's something wrong with it that I can't pin down. When my writers' group critted the first draft, they said the MC didn't change enough and/or that the MC's change at the end wasn't convincing. With subsequent drafts, I haven't received that particular complaint from any of my test readers, but I did have one reader comment, "I thought the end would be more punchy." So I feel like the ending probably still has a problem, and I would love feedback on that aspect in particular (as well as anything else you find noteworthy).

Edit: Sorry, had an old word count the first time.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

Corbin Maxwell

Re: F&SF exchange -- 9,600 words

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I have 10,000 words of what is going to go to F&SF when it's finished. It'll probably be about 25,000 total. My background is two contest wins, 10 HMs and One Semi with WOTF, and one book contract with a publisher with whom I'm waiting to get back my ms from the editor.

I'll swap with you if you want.
Read, Write, Study, Persist. Rejection slips were the best thing WOTF ever did for me.

2nd Book Contracted: The Lords of Vengeance
Book: Last of the Far Gods
1 x Semi-Finalist
8 x HM
1 x the old quarter-finalist

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”