Writer's Group

For confidential exchange of story critiques
bthomas7

Writer's Group

Postby bthomas7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 am

Hey,

So not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but I figured what the hell. I'll cut right to it: I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a virtual writer's group (if not no harm no fowl). We could use slack to post work and comment and critique, maybe try to get a new piece every two weeks or so? Full disclaimer I've never been part of a writing group nor have I ever used slack but I'm 100% willing to try and helm this if we get at least a few people interested and you can work with me while we figure out the kinks.

My contest history (if anyone cares) is an HM, an R, and then Q2 of this year which I haven't heard on yet. Anyways, let me know if you're interested and if we get a few people, I'm thinking at least 4? Then I'll set it up.

Cheers

J'nae Rae

Re: Writer's Group

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am

Slack isn't all that great. As messed up as the new Yahoo Groups is you're better bet would be to start a closed Yahoo Group, where only members can see what is there.

If you were closer I'd invite you to my local Writer's Group. We've been going since 2004 and everyone that has been a member at least more than a year has a publication credit. wotf007

We got started when Dawn, looking through Critters' data base contacted a bunch of us about a face to face group. 12 years later we're still here. If you don't have local group where you meet up, you might want to try something similar in your area.

I know I prefer face to face groups over online ones. Get a lot more out of it actually talking with each other.
Last edited by J'nae Rae on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 am

I'd recommend critters.org for critiques.

I've always liked the idea of being in a writers group, but I think being in one would kill my productivity.
6xRs wotf002

bthomas7

Postby bthomas7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks for the headsup, I'll check out yahoo groups, I'm not really game for a face-to-face group. If no one's interested not a big deal, figured it was worth asking.

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm

There was a small writers group several years ago, that one of the Finalists invited me and a few others from this Forum to. He invited people who'd showed commitment to their writer careers, usually with long histories with WOTF or other venues. We fizzled out after 5-6 years when most of us either won WOTF or pro'd out, or at least had some semi-pro sales.

The group was very helpful in our early days, but not as much later as some reached pro levels. We still remain friends, but the writers group has served its purpose.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

alpha

Postby alpha » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm very interested in forming a writing group. If you want me, I'm totally in.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 am

It's been a year since this topic had any activity and in that time Slack has really taken off in stability, complexity, and usefulness.

Going back to the original idea, would folks be interested in getting a community Slack channel up and running? I have some pretty high level Slack organizers I can ping if we need assistance in setting up as well (one of my friends/ex-employees/peer runs a Mac SysAdmin Slack with 10,000 members, 1,000 of which are active at any given moment).

If there is interest, let me know and I'll set up and channel and invite folks to get started.
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:3
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q2.v34)

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

Would Slack really work for that? How would we share the MSes?
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:Would Slack really work for that? How would we share the MSes?

There is an embedded attachment option that works okay. However, there are Dropbox and Google Docs plugins that can be used in conjunction with Slack now. Those will probably come in handy more than the drag and drop methodology.
WotF Results:

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:34 pm

I already use Slack every day, so I'd be up to try it, I suppose, if there was a group interested.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Hhhmmm. Might work then. Last time I used Slack, I wasn't thrilled with it. But, if they've improved it, that could be good.
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm

I've never used slack, but it's obviously a big thing in the world.

I'm down to give a writer's group a shot and am pretty flexible about software and such. It's all just 1s and 0s right? Can't be harder than writing right?
HM - R - R

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 am

Okay. I've put together the Slack channel. I'm still adding in components and such, but it's available to sign up now.

If you'd like to join the channel, click the link below, add your email, setup an account, and login:
TwitchWriters Slack Sign Up
NOTE: This link will only work until August 13, 2017. If you'd like an invite at that point, PM me and I can send an invite.

One common misconception is that you can only use Slack through their website or via a specific app. There are apps for every platform out there, including desktop apps. I'd highly suggest using one of those since file exchanges and the like seem to work a little better. This download link should direct you to the appropriate download location for whatever platform you're currently on:
Slack Downloads

Once a couple folks sign up, I'll start elevating people who'd like the ability to invite others directly.

I'll source a Slack tutorial at some point here and post it up.

EDIT: After creating your account and signing in, this link will take you to the Google Drive setup for Slack.
https://twitchwriters.slack.com/services/B68CTUE8J

Once your account has been authenticated, you can:

• Create new Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets directly from Slack by clicking the “+” button to the left of the Slack message box.
    Import an existing file from Google Drive directly where you’re already working by clicking the “+” button. Or, paste the link to the file in any channel or Direct Message.
  • Find your files quickly, even if you don’t remember their name, by searching directly in Slack. Slack automatically indexes the contents of any Google Drive file you share so you can find when you need it.
  • Share and manage your files without headaches of worrying about version history or who has access.
WotF Results:

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am

Do we have to use Google Docs? Have they removed the 'we own a % of what you create with it' clause from the Terms of Service? I have a fully functional copy of Word, and I reluctantly put things on Dropbox as it is, as I don't like Cloud storage at all.
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:24 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Do we have to use Google Docs? Have they removed the 'we own a % of what you create with it' clause from the Terms of Service? I have a fully functional copy of Word, and I reluctantly put things on Dropbox as it is, as I don't like Cloud storage at all.

You don't need to use Google Docs, no. I also installed a bit to integrate with Dropbox, however, you can just share a doc directly. Nothing will stop you from doing that.

Also, I can't find any references to Google owning your works, but I did find this TOS article that seems to specify otherwise:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2450387?hl=en

I *do* remember hearing something about that along time ago though. It looks like they wised up and fixed that.
WotF Results:

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am

It wasn't their cloud I was concerned with on that, it was there word processor. Though it does seem they have changed it. Everyone seems to say not to use Google Docs on the answer sites. When looking further, it seems though it looks OK it has formatting errors and can't handle more than 100 pages without having issues, and that person said ultimately to get rid of all errors they had to keep under 50 pages.

Posting direct files works for me. Though I might use my Dropbox for this, and just not leave the files in when done.
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:38 am

Update:

We got this started a few weeks ago and are looking for a couple more folks if they're interested. Here's the schedule thus far:

* Biweekly Meetings (Week 1 = submissions to the group, Week 2 = critiques)
* Critiques are every other Saturday at 3PM EST using Google Hangouts
** The next critique is August 12, 2017
* There is a soft limit of 3,000 words per critique at this point
* We use Slack for general communication and off-topic discussions.

If you're interested in joining, shoot me an email or a PM!

-- Mike
WotF Results:

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”