Writer's Group

For confidential exchange of story critiques
bthomas7

Writer's Group

Postby bthomas7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 am

Hey,

So not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but I figured what the hell. I'll cut right to it: I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a virtual writer's group (if not no harm no fowl). We could use slack to post work and comment and critique, maybe try to get a new piece every two weeks or so? Full disclaimer I've never been part of a writing group nor have I ever used slack but I'm 100% willing to try and helm this if we get at least a few people interested and you can work with me while we figure out the kinks.

My contest history (if anyone cares) is an HM, an R, and then Q2 of this year which I haven't heard on yet. Anyways, let me know if you're interested and if we get a few people, I'm thinking at least 4? Then I'll set it up.

Cheers

J'nae Rae

Re: Writer's Group

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am

Slack isn't all that great. As messed up as the new Yahoo Groups is you're better bet would be to start a closed Yahoo Group, where only members can see what is there.

If you were closer I'd invite you to my local Writer's Group. We've been going since 2004 and everyone that has been a member at least more than a year has a publication credit. wotf007

We got started when Dawn, looking through Critters' data base contacted a bunch of us about a face to face group. 12 years later we're still here. If you don't have local group where you meet up, you might want to try something similar in your area.

I know I prefer face to face groups over online ones. Get a lot more out of it actually talking with each other.
Last edited by J'nae Rae on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 am

I'd recommend critters.org for critiques.

I've always liked the idea of being in a writers group, but I think being in one would kill my productivity.

bthomas7

Postby bthomas7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks for the headsup, I'll check out yahoo groups, I'm not really game for a face-to-face group. If no one's interested not a big deal, figured it was worth asking.

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm

There was a small writers group several years ago, that one of the Finalists invited me and a few others from this Forum to. He invited people who'd showed commitment to their writer careers, usually with long histories with WOTF or other venues. We fizzled out after 5-6 years when most of us either won WOTF or pro'd out, or at least had some semi-pro sales.

The group was very helpful in our early days, but not as much later as some reached pro levels. We still remain friends, but the writers group has served its purpose.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

alpha

Postby alpha » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm very interested in forming a writing group. If you want me, I'm totally in.

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”