Five Minute Rant

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Rebecca Birch

Re: Five Minute Rant

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:18 pm

austinDm wrote:RANT!

Clarkesworld rejected my Q4 HM after one day! It's taken them longer to read some of my barely-above-flash stories. Hmpf.

Next market!

They rejected my Q3 finalist in two days. They are just plain 'bleep'ing fast. On the plus side, makes it quick to send out to the next market!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:

Clarkesworld rejected my Q4 HM after one day! It's taken them longer to read some of my barely-above-flash stories. Hmpf.

Next market!

They rejected my Q3 finalist in two days. They are just plain 'bleep'ing fast. On the plus side, makes it quick to send out to the next market!

My tinfoil hat theory: they (and other markets) have a blanket policy to reject everything that comes in the week after WotF results come in. They're not interested in Dave's rejects.

If my tinfoil hat theory is correct, I should be back with a rant any minute now... wotf013

(Martin's Note: As usual, Evil Martin has no idea what he's talking about. He's a Bad Influence. Don't believe him.)
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 pm

As I can attest, when they're on a roll, submissions sometimes come back from Clarkesworld within a few hours.

Lightspeed's been known to reject in under 20 minutes.

It's the universe's way of balancing out all those submissions to GUD, and Tor.com, and Dark Discoveries...
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

MJNL wrote:As I can attest, when they're on a roll, submissions sometimes come back from Clarkesworld within a few hours.

It's the universe's way of balancing out all those submissions to GUD, and Tor.com, and Dark Discoveries...

And Weird Tales, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.! wotf008
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Yeah, I really think that's just their nature - reject early and often. :)
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 am

I've been at Clarkesworld for 5 days and counting. Vast majority of that time "under review". And that was my Q3 Wotf form reject tasty peoples! wotf007

Don't remind me, Gator won't stop checking Duotrope, wicked reptile! wotf020
I'm sure the form reject is coming. It's inconceivable I can sell to them, with absolutely no fiction sale to my name.

It makes *some* sense that they might be reading it all the way through, though. I think it's one of my more literary ones, and if that's the case, that's probably why David form rejected it. Very different markets I suspect.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:I've been at Clarkesworld for 5 days and counting. Vast majority of that time "under review". And that was my Q3 Wotf form reject tasty peoples! wotf007

I'm sure the form reject is coming. It's inconceivable I can sell to them, with absolutely no fiction sale to my name.

It makes *some* sense that they might be reading it all the way through, though. I think it's one of my more literary ones, and if that's the case, that's probably why David form rejected it. Very different markets I suspect.

Typically that means you've made it to the next round. Usually around twelve stories are in this bunch and they pick a couple from it for publication. Probably varies depending on how many Big Name stories they already have ready for the issue. Usually takes a week or two for them to decide.

How do I know? They posted about the process a number of years back. I think it was linked on these boards somewhere. I've also made it to that round a couple of times. Sitting at "Under Review" for that many days is an exercise in patience!

Good luck! wotf007
Thomas K Carpenter

Jennifer Hicks

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 am

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
MJNL wrote:As I can attest, when they're on a roll, submissions sometimes come back from Clarkesworld within a few hours.

And Weird Tales, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.! wotf008

Ugh, Weird Tales. I withdrew my submission there five months after the date by which they said they would respond to all submissions, and I didn't even get an acknowledgement of my withdrawal.
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 am

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:I've been at Clarkesworld for 5 days and counting. Vast majority of that time "under review". And that was my Q3 Wotf form reject tasty peoples! wotf007

Typically that means you've made it to the next round. Usually around twelve stories are in this bunch and they pick a couple from it for publication. Probably varies depending on how many Big Name stories they already have ready for the issue. Usually takes a week or two for them to decide.

How do I know? They posted about the process a number of years back. I think it was linked on these boards somewhere. I've also made it to that round a couple of times. Sitting at "Under Review" for that many days is an exercise in patience!

Good luck! wotf007

Wow, only 12 stories or so?? wotf015 Don't say things like that, Thomas, or Gator will wear out the "refresh" button. wotf019

For all I know it's simply that a slush reader had a family emergency just after loading my story onto their machine, and so it hasn't actually been read yet. wotf002

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:

Next market!

Bah! My stories are too long to send to Clarkesworld.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:12 am

Jennifer Hicks wrote:Ugh, Weird Tales. I withdrew my submission there five months after the date by which they said they would respond to all submissions, and I didn't even get an acknowledgement of my withdrawal.

I'm at 205 days with Weird Tales. I should probably send a note to them asking what's going on soon, but seems like they've gone underground. No one is reporting responses. Makes me worry about the health of the magazine.
Thomas K Carpenter

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 am

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
Jennifer Hicks wrote:Ugh, Weird Tales. I withdrew my submission there five months after the date by which they said they would respond to all submissions, and I didn't even get an acknowledgement of my withdrawal.

I'm at 205 days with Weird Tales. I should probably send a note to them asking what's going on soon, but seems like they've gone underground. No one is reporting responses. Makes me worry about the health of the magazine.

Hmm. They changed editors too recently I believe. There was much ill-feeling about it if I remember rightly.

Jennifer Hicks

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:
ThomasKCarpenter wrote:I'm at 205 days with Weird Tales. I should probably send a note to them asking what's going on soon, but seems like they've gone underground. No one is reporting responses. Makes me worry about the health of the magazine.

Hmm. They changed editors too recently I believe. There was much ill-feeling about it if I remember rightly.

A lot of the ill feelings were over this: http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2012/08/2 ... publisher/. It's actually the primary reason I withdrew my submission. The publisher's statement said Marvin Kaye (the editor) would post a statement on the controversy. As far as I know, he never did.
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 am

Jennifer Hicks wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:
ThomasKCarpenter wrote:I'm at 205 days with Weird Tales. I should probably send a note to them asking what's going on soon, but seems like they've gone underground. No one is reporting responses. Makes me worry about the health of the magazine.

A lot of the ill feelings were over this: http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2012/08/2 ... publisher/. It's actually the primary reason I withdrew my submission. The publisher's statement said Marvin Kaye (the editor) would post a statement on the controversy. As far as I know, he never did.

Alas. wotf005

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 am

Indeed.
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:

I'm trying to recall if I sent them anything after they changed their editor. I think I planned to but never got to it.

But it does seems they're the second mag to have that problem...very long turn around times right after getting a new editor. Wonder if it's a plague or a fad.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 am

MJNL wrote:It's the universe's way of balancing out all those submissions to GUD, and Tor.com, and Dark Discoveries...

Dark Discoveries... it's been over a year, and I emailed them this week to see if I'm still in the "being considered" shortlist and it turns out I am. Not a rant by the way wotf008
8 HMs.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 am

DavidK wrote:
MJNL wrote:It's the universe's way of balancing out all those submissions to GUD, and Tor.com, and Dark Discoveries...

Dark Discoveries... it's been over a year, and I emailed them this week to see if I'm still in the "being considered" shortlist and it turns out I am. Not a rant by the way wotf008

I would call this a rant, myself. What are they playing at?? A year is beyond a joke. I would send the Gator after 'em.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 am

AMcCarter wrote:Bah! My stories are too long to send to Clarkesworld.

wotf005 This. I've only got like 4 or 5 rejections from them because most of my stories are too long.

vanaaron

Postby vanaaron » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 am

Jennifer Hicks wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

I still can't believe that happened. I'm not big on political correctness, but I got a review copy of the book in question before it came out, and it was obvious even to me that it was offensive.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:25 am

I read a review on Goodreads. Wow. I had no idea the book was so bad. Had never heard about the book until I saw it in this thread.

I read Steph's review here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1239 ... aling-eden
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 am

Wow. Can you imagine the author thinking she's going to wow the public with her risky book and falling flat? This is every authors worst nightmare. Also there is a huge thing on Goodreads right now with cyber bulling. I think that people are targeting authors they don't like (or maybe behave badly to reviews or maybe they wrote a blog post that people took offense too) and systematically giving bad reviews. They give one star and say they don't or won't read the book or give fake bad reviews to make the book look sick or twisted in some way. I've also read the counter attack saying that the authors are just making it all conspiracy theory too and just upset about getting a ton of bad reviews. Hard to know what's going on with that.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Rant! Rant! Rant! Rant! Rant!

Off to Duotrope...

NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

I can't even muster up the energy to rant over today's rejection.

wotf004
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm

morshana wrote:I can't even muster up the energy to rant over today's rejection.

wotf004

YES!!!!! JEANETTE REACHES SUBMISSION ZEN!!!!

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
morshana wrote:I can't even muster up the energy to rant over today's rejection.

wotf004

I reached that point some time ago. It's *waiting* for the inevitable rejection that is the issue causing some pain these days. Still, Gator is yawning, it's time to go to bed before she accidentally swallows the house. wotf017

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 pm

wotf004

Um, I hate to say this with all this obvious excitement and rejoicing and happiness and good feelings and good emotions toward someone else and this period of calmness and this peaceful, loving, still moment of zen but

Exhaustion and Zen ain't the same thing. wotf011

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 pm

DavidK wrote:

That's nice.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Exhaustion and Zen ain't the same thing. wotf011

How should I credit you when I steal that line? wotf013

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 am

LDWriter2 wrote:

wotf004

Um, I hate to say this with all this obvious excitement and rejoicing and happiness and good feelings and good emotions toward someone else and this period of calmness and this peaceful, loving, still moment of zen but

Exhaustion and Zen ain't the same thing. wotf011

wotf035 Exhaustion is as close to Zen as I get, so I'm sticking with it as a relaxation technique. wotf035

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”