Five Minute Rant

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
LDWriter2

Re: Five Minute Rant

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:13 pm

LaurieG wrote:My 2 cents, LD. Take the "good points" your critiques pointed out, and strengthen them.

Also, re-read a story you wrote a year ago. Do you see things you would do better now? If so, your writing IS getting better, and you're mostly suffering from lack of self confidence. Neil Gaiman confesses that, about 3/4 through writing a novel, he is ready to quit being a writer because he "knows" he's no good. And that's after winning Hugos, Nebulas, World Fantasy Awards, and many others!

I'd offer to see your work, as other generous forumites have, but I'm busy preparing for my son's wedding in a few weeks. wotf007

Thanks for the thoughts and Congrats to your son.

From what I understand most pros go through that. A couple have even quit for a while over it-that is after sells and awards.

But besides a couple of "very good"s from none writers and new writers I don't get any statements that would give me confidence. Well, usually. Two HMs from Dave help but even the editors who usual say something, like at BCS, don't add anything extra. That lazy writing comment from Edith at Universe Annex still burns.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:40 am

What the hell. Send your best story my way and let's see if I can give you some input. Just keep in mind that I have yet to make a pro sale, only semi pro's. And those 2 Finalists. But I have gotten good critiques on my Semi's, and one from a major editor, so at least I know what makes a critique helpful. I'll PM my email.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:03 am

Louis, I've made comments over at Baen's Bar. Plus I've tried to re-write the setting of one scene to show how you might increase the pace of the story. I hope this helps a little.
wotf008
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:01 pm

I will send the story but it looks I may have my answer.

But one thing I thought of this afternoon

I do think I am getting better. I am doing what I am told to do, so it would seem I have to be getting better.That is one thing that is frustrating-no one else thinks so. Except a couple of people over on Google+. I am doing some flash stories based on pictures. Basically just write it, spell check it and post it, sometimes with a bit of revising. Nothing like I am doing on these stories though. The stories could use some more work which I have done on a couple of them later. I do get a couple of positive comments. But that's it.

And no positive comments in the critiques either. I have read positive comments by Edith for a couple of writers but except one story a couple of years ago, she has never left me any. Pretty much the same for everyone else with any story.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I decided it was time to go back to the drawing board. The writing that made up my story turned out to be almost a mess.

So I redid the opening. Started the story later and it's more condensed. Or so I hope. The next section may stay pretty much the same. I won't say what it involves since I may send it back in the next Q2. Unless it sells by then but I don't expect that. Anyway, there are smaller areas of the next section I may delete and others rewrite as I did the opening. The ending? I am not sure. I have not gotten a lot of feedback on that.

If anyone wants to read the new version, it might be done by Sunday. Or so I plan. But I have a couple of other things to do too.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:36 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:I decided it was time to go back to the drawing board. The writing that made up my story turned out to be almost a mess.

So I redid the opening. Started the story later and it's more condensed. Or so I hope. The next section may stay pretty much the same. I won't say what it involves since I may send it back in the next Q2. Unless it sells by then but I don't expect that. Anyway, there are smaller areas of the next section I may delete and others rewrite as I did the opening. The ending? I am not sure. I have not gotten a lot of feedback on that.

If anyone wants to read the new version, it might be done by Sunday. Or so I plan. But I have a couple of other things to do too.

Sent you a PM wotf008
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 am

I have today, for the first time, replied to a rejection. Usually I just note the contents, take or reject any criticism and move on to the next submission.

However this 135 day personal rejection from Enter The Apocalypse was different:

The writing in this piece actually made me feel the acidic air. However the story of a man taking his family (without agreement) to some final destination doesn’t work for me as it doesn’t seem to wrap up anything.

A perceptive PR you may say. What's wrong with that?

Just this. My story contained no acidic air, nor men taking their families anywhere (with or without agreement), neither to a final destination nor anywhere else.

I am not hoping for a reprieve. I assume this error is the result of a mismatched mail-merge. However if one has come to me there must be a chance others have gone or will go out and I thought I should point this out.

Double Rant. I had submitted a sequel to Enter the Aftermath. I suppose I should expect shortly to receive a rejection for that too.

wotf014

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am

I would say you are justified in pointing that error out as it is something they should be eager to correct. I have a submission to Aftermath as well. Hopefully they have their processes in better shape when they start on that one.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:54 am

Actually I should correct myself - my other submission is for Rebirth not Aftermath. Nevertheless, I suspect they'll be more careful in future because -

TARANTARAA! I got a reply to my reply. This offered an alternative personal rejection. Slight problem. Wasn't mine either.

I replied to this effect.

Got another reply. (I paraphrase.) Was I quite sure my story wasn't ...? Wait a minute, is this one yours? Yes, third time lucky.

Got a third personal rejection, considerably less complimentary than either of the first two!

But in the interests of all who come after, we also serve who only rant with fate. wotf013

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Okay, I've been telling myself that I shouldn't complain too much about this because I've waited longer for a reply before, but it is driving me NUTS!

I have had my SHM story at Asimov's for 115 days now, and not a peep! Not even a change on the submission portal! Their guidelines says they mostly respond between 5 weeks, but query after 3 months. 5 weeks passed. 3 months passed. Queried. Still nothing.

The crazy part of my writer brain is going 'oh my gosh, they're never going to respond. I am stuck in a submission black hole!!!'

The more logical side of me realizes they'll get to me eventually, and they're just busy.

But, the logical side of my brain is not the dominant one when it comes to my stories. *sigh*

Okay, I feel better. wotf008

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:47 am

emilymccosh wrote:Okay, I've been telling myself that I shouldn't complain too much about this because I've waited longer for a reply before, but it is driving me NUTS!

I have had my SHM story at Asimov's for 115 days now, and not a peep! Not even a change on the submission portal! Their guidelines says they mostly respond between 5 weeks, but query after 3 months. 5 weeks passed. 3 months passed. Queried. Still nothing.

The crazy part of my writer brain is going 'oh my gosh, they're never going to respond. I am stuck in a submission black hole!!!'

The more logical side of me realizes they'll get to me eventually, and they're just busy.

But, the logical side of my brain is not the dominant one when it comes to my stories. *sigh*

Okay, I feel better. wotf008

Asimov's have been on a massive go-slow of late. They pretty much stopped reading for 100 days from June 1 for no apparent reason. But it has started moving again (and I have the form rejection to prove it wotf008) so hang in there.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:53 am

My lead submission to Asimov's is approaching 170 days. NNiNN!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm at 126 days. They must have lost their slush readers or something because they are now slower than Tor used to be.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:03 am

Well, it appears I'm in good company then!! wotf019

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”