Five Minute Rant

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
LDWriter2

Re: Five Minute Rant

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm

YM Pang wrote:For F&SF, there's no correlation between getting a personal comment and getting closer to an acceptance.....

All that being said, even if you've only ever received one-day rejections of "didn't grab me," that doesn't mean he won't buy your next story. :)

Still would be nice to get one from someone who doesn't always send one out. Having them buy a story is of course the best but a consolation price, especially if it says you are improving is better than nothing.

Also be nice if i could send one to Analog and Asimov's.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Hmm, No one seems to use this anymore but me. But ugh. Trying to send out stories again. For some strange, unknown reason the online submission system that Asimov's and Analog use does not like my .doc files. Unless it is a flash story it is always too large-or so they say. I don't have that problem with anyone else except for the two other magazines owned but the same company as those two. I can send .rtf except my WP doesn't convert to rtf. I have OpenOffice for another problem I have and that doesn't do .rtf either. It's been so long since I tried to submit to them I hoped that the problem would be fixed but they probably don't know there is a problem.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:49 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Hmm, No one seems to use this anymore but me. But ugh. Trying to send out stories again. For some strange, unknown reason the online submission system that Asimov's and Analog use does not like my .doc files. Unless it is a flash story it is always too large-or so they say. I don't have that problem with anyone else except for the two other magazines owned but the same company as those two. I can send .rtf except my WP doesn't convert to rtf. I have OpenOffice for another problem I have and that doesn't do .rtf either. It's been so long since I tried to submit to them I hoped that the problem would be fixed but they probably don't know there is a problem.

Rejections don't always get to me the way they used to, although I've got some potential candidates in the near future. wotf019

That problem with Asimov's definitely seems frustrating. Maybe there's a place on their website where you can contact them to report the issue?
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Besides the fact that I am out of the habit of sending out stories I think that the years of rejections help my subconscious to forget to remind me to send them out. But this one (Shakes head). What makes it worse, I think not quite sure though, they can not read the .rtf files. If so I will try a .doc file made by OpenOffice. Once Sheila Williams allowed me to send a story via E-mail again if I recall correctly, that would have been two years ago. We shall see what happens this time.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 am

LDWriter2 wrote:Hmm, No one seems to use this anymore but me.

Don't get me wrong, I want to, but I'm taking a new approach to rejections and it's helping. When a story comes in, I immediately turn it around and send it to another market. Whenever I get a query rejection for my novel, I pick another agent and send it out.

It's turned into something of a reflex now and I barely notice them anymore.

That said... I did get a rejection about a story where the first reader said the premise wasn't believable. It's about a delivery guy inadvertently breaking quarantine and then going on vacation with expected results. wotf017

*deep breath*

I'll edit in more distractions to make it more "believable," but come on.
WotF Results:
  • R:5
  • HM:7
  • sHM:0
  • SF:1
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q4 v36

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm

I used to do that and will again when I get back into the habit of sending out stories again, but I still get the need to vent sometimes.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”