Story in a Day Challenge

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Rebecca Birch

Re: Story in a Day Challenge

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Congratulations on stories! Yay!

I'm totally up for exchanging--although, I give you all fair warning that mine is fairly incomprehensible, though short.

Whether you wish to edit before exchanging is up to you. I'm probably not going to just yet. I need to let the thing settle in my brain and try to figure out just what on earth I was trying to make it do.

wotf008
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 pm

I didn't manage to finish my story in one day, but I did get through a rough draft of everything except the climax scene. 1911 words. I'm going to finish the rest of it tomorrow. wotf009

(I have the feeling the story will need a lot more fleshing out during the second draft. A lot of this rough draft is pure dialogue.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed May 18, 2016 6:57 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I didn't manage to finish my story in one day, but I did get through a rough draft of everything except the climax scene. 1911 words. I'm going to finish the rest of it tomorrow. wotf009

(I have the feeling the story will need a lot more fleshing out during the second draft. A lot of this rough draft is pure dialogue.)

Hooray for words! And that's one of the wonderful things about stories. We can edit them. wotf007 It's wonderful that everything isn't etched into stone.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun May 22, 2016 4:17 am

I need to tweak a couple of things (I left a few blank spots that need to have words inserted), but otherwise I finished the rough draft of my story last night. Right around 3k words at the moment. I've already had thoughts on how to improve the story, but I feel it's best to let it sit for a bit and participate in the exchange as is. It's only fair.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 am

Been a while since I popped into this thread. I'm planning a Story in a Day for some time this week. Anybody want to join in? Pick a day some time this week--write a story. We can do an exchange after, if interested?

Mine will be today or Friday, I think, but you can pick whatever day you wish.

Anybody in?
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:Been a while since I popped into this thread. I'm planning a Story in a Day for some time this week. Anybody want to join in? Pick a day some time this week--write a story. We can do an exchange after, if interested?

Anybody in?

Sounds like a plan. I'm willing to give it a shot tonight.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Rebecca Birch wrote:Been a while since I popped into this thread. I'm planning a Story in a Day for some time this week. Anybody want to join in? Pick a day some time this week--write a story. We can do an exchange after, if interested?

Anybody in?

Sounds like a plan. I'm willing to give it a shot tonight.

Woohoo! Welcome aboard!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Well, I got most of a story done. 1506 words. And then I stalled out when I realized I didn't know how to end the bloody thing. wotf004 At this point I've been up far too long, and I very much need bed. (it probably wasn't wise to attempt this when I'd already worked the morning shift today, but I wanted to try.)

Ahh well. wotf017 I should be able to finish it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Well, I got most of a story done. 1506 words. And then I stalled out when I realized I didn't know how to end the bloody thing. wotf004 At this point I've been up far too long, and I very much need bed. (it probably wasn't wise to attempt this when I'd already worked the morning shift today, but I wanted to try.)

That's fabulous! 1506 words that weren't there before! I hope you're able to get it all wrapped up to your satisfaction.

Me, it appears that Friday will be my day. It is always the day I can get the most done, so this shouldn't probably surprise me too much.

Anybody else is still welcome to jump in, too!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Well, I got most of a story done. 1506 words. And then I stalled out when I realized I didn't know how to end the bloody thing. wotf004 At this point I've been up far too long, and I very much need bed. (it probably wasn't wise to attempt this when I'd already worked the morning shift today, but I wanted to try.)

That's fabulous! 1506 words that weren't there before! I hope you're able to get it all wrapped up to your satisfaction.

Me, it appears that Friday will be my day. It is always the day I can get the most done, so this shouldn't probably surprise me too much.

Anybody else is still welcome to jump in, too!

That is certainly true, and I am pleased that I got that far. On a work day, no less. wotf008 I've since gotten past the part I was stuck on, and am about to poke at the denouement.

I may give this another try on Saturday, because I have Saturday off and I actually have the day free for once unless something comes up at the last minute. I have some ideas of what direction to go in, although I'm missing some important bits that haven't yet clicked.

It's weird how challenges and prompts can make it easier to write, simply because there's a starting point or a goal in mind.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Anybody in?

`

I have been doing that for a community on Google+ They story is due on Sunday afternoon and I tend to wait unto Saturday evening to do it. 597 words or so each Saturday-well when I do it. Two weeks ago I managed to do it Tuesday evening. Last Saturday I blew it and only wrote half a story. They are all based on a picture. And that reminds me I don't think I checked this week's pic yet.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:32 am

Okay. Despite writing several stories in February I've now taken two days over 500 words. Aargh. On the other hand they are good words. I have a neat hook, now all I need to do is hang a story on it! wotf008
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

I have to publicly admit to failure. I was at my local coffee shop, all set to write on Saturday, when my netbook froze. Then died a most emphatic, most premature (seriously, I'd owned it for five weeks), death.

Dead, dead, dead.

I don't know why, but I am almost incapable of actually writing new words at home. I can edit, but not compose. It's super-weird, and annoying, but that's what it is. And so, I have not completed a story in a day. I have sent the piece of junk to be worked on, since it's still under warranty, but ARGHHHH!!!!!

I will try to do better. Soon.

wotf014
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:39 pm

wotf005 I'm super sorry about your netbook. I'd definitely call this mitigating circumstances, though. You can always try the challenge again later, when you get it back.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 am

Okay, after utterly failing on the first attempt due to failing hardware, I'm back on. I have a working computer. I have a day in which there's nothing else scheduled. Story in a day? Make it so. Engage!

wotf024
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Well, it's not 100% new, but I did complete a rewrite of a story I've had trunked since 2005. Finally in a form I'm not embarrassed to submit. Calling that at least a partial win. Phew!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 am

Anyone up for one of these? I've got a lot more free time coming up for at least a little while, and have found that this tends to produce interesting results. (I know this is usually Rebecca's baby, but I think it's bloody awesome and wonderful fun so I'm kicking it off this time. I might actually be able to finish a story in a single sitting this time instead of a broken up eight-hour stretch!)

If people are interested but want or need prompts, I can figure that out. I'm probably going to do mine on Monday, but any time through the end of next week would be fine. We can trade stories afterward for constructive criticism. wotf007

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Anyone up for one of these? I've got a lot more free time coming up for at least a little while, and have found that this tends to produce interesting results. (I know this is usually Rebecca's baby, but I think it's bloody awesome and wonderful fun so I'm kicking it off this time. I might actually be able to finish a story in a single sitting this time instead of a broken up eight-hour stretch!)

If people are interested but want or need prompts, I can figure that out. I'm probably going to do mine on Monday, but any time through the end of next week would be fine. We can trade stories afterward for constructive criticism. wotf007

Hi, Peony.

I am very happy to share my baby. wotf007

I think I can jump in on this. Won't be over the weekend, but hopefully sometime next week. Thanks for invoking the challenge!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 pm

I'd like to join in! I've never tried this before, but it sounds interesting. I'd also be interested in working with a prompt. I used to write a lot of flash using prompts, and found the limitation of having to work with a certain theme/idea inspiring.

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to accomplish this or not, but I want to give it a try.
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”