Story in a Day Challenge

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Ishmael

Re: Story in a Day Challenge

Postby Ishmael » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:38 am

My work last weekend turned out to be negative 3,000 words. I took a seriously overwritten 10,500 from a while back and turned it into quite a nice tight 7,500 that I was able to submit. I find it interesting how my writing used to wander off on all sorts of distractions and I could never edit it properly.

So at least I learned something, even if it wasn't how to finish a story that I've started inside a day.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Soooo . . . I've signed up here: http://storyaday.org/ to attempt the story a day challenge in the month of May. I'm now suffering from panic and terror.

Anybody else want to play?
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Sounds like fun but I'm a bit busy right now--too many writing things going on, I need to take a couple of days off from work.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 am

Well I couldn't write one story in one day. What chance of 31 on consecutive days? Good luck Rebecca. wotf024

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri May 02, 2014 7:00 am

Ishmael wrote:Well I couldn't write one story in one day. What chance of 31 on consecutive days? Good luck Rebecca. wotf024

Thanks, Ishmael!

I did succeed on day 1, with a fantasy flash piece just over 1k. Not a lot, but it's a story, and it's a start. Today I'm not at work, so I might aim for something a bit longer. We shall see.

I must say, when I think about this challenge, this is kind of what my brain goes through . . .

wotf008 wotf003 wotf018 wotf039 wotf024 wotf042 wotf049 wotf031
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

liz

Postby liz » Tue May 13, 2014 8:08 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:Soooo . . . I've signed up here: http://storyaday.org/ to attempt the story a day challenge in the month of May. I'm now suffering from panic and terror.

Just saw this. The website looks awesome, fun way to stay motivated wotf008

It's a bit late but I think I'll jump on board.

Is anyone else still doing this?

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 am

liz wrote:
Rebecca Birch wrote:Soooo . . . I've signed up here: http://storyaday.org/ to attempt the story a day challenge in the month of May. I'm now suffering from panic and terror.

Just saw this. The website looks awesome, fun way to stay motivated wotf008

It's a bit late but I think I'll jump on board.

Is anyone else still doing this?

I started off strong, but have slipped recently. I'm working now on a longer piece than a day-long piece. It's good to have that reminder tickling in the back of my head, though.

In my mind, it's never too late to begin something that is primarily there as a method of motivation. wotf007
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

liz

Postby liz » Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
I started off strong, but have slipped recently. I'm working now on a longer piece than a day-long piece. It's good to have that reminder tickling in the back of my head, though.

In my mind, it's never too late to begin something that is primarily there as a method of motivation. wotf007

I agree. If something can act as a vehicle to help us reach farther and accomplish more than we would have without it, it's generally worth the while regardless of whether we're able to check all of the boxes. I'm excited to get started, even if the month is half over ;)

Good luck with your longer piece! I say as long as one is writing, the motivation is serving it's purpose wotf013

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Who's up for another round of the Story in a Day Challenge?

I'll be writing a story in a day this Friday, August 22. Anybody who would like to join in and write a story in a day any time this weekend is welcome and highly encouraged! Nothing like a nice deadline to get the words flowing! wotf024

Post here if you're going to play along. We can share our results among each other if anyone's interested.

wotf042
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:25 am

I can write one on Sunday. So I'm in.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:52 am

storysinger wrote:I can write one on Sunday. So I'm in.

Yay! Welcome!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:10 am

I'm going to write a flash story tomorrow. And I'm going to do it in 90 minutes or your money back.

Korryaaaaaaa! wotf024
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 am

s_c_baker wrote:I'm going to write a flash story tomorrow. And I'm going to do it in 90 minutes or your money back.

Korryaaaaaaa! wotf024

wotf010

Flash! Ahh-ahhh!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 am

Mission accomplished. Just shy of 1200 words. I guess that would be flash fiction after all is said and done.
I've been reading my Every Day Fiction emails and want to submit something to them.
Maybe this will fit their guidelines.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am

storysinger wrote:Mission accomplished. Just shy of 1200 words. I guess that would be flash fiction after all is said and done.
I've been reading my Every Day Fiction emails and want to submit something to them.
Maybe this will fit their guidelines.

Woo-Hoo! Congratulations!

I did not succeed so well as you. I managed about 3,000 words on a story that's looking like it wants to end up somewhere between 9k and 12k. I'd rather have actually *finished* something, but it was a decent number of words, and I have a story that is on its way to somewhere so I'm not beating myself up too hard.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Purellian

Postby Purellian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, this certainly seems like an interesting exercise. I am generally a pretty slow writer. However, I have completed a project early and find myself with a free day tomorrow and nothing to write. I think I'll try this out! I'm going to aim to get a complete story of about 2000 words done before bedtime tomorrow. wotf024

I guess if anyone wants to join me, that would be cool, but I know it's short notice. I only just found this thread today!
SHMX1
HMX4
RX1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:40 am

Purellian wrote:Well, this certainly seems like an interesting exercise. I am generally a pretty slow writer. However, I have completed a project early and find myself with a free day tomorrow and nothing to write. I think I'll try this out! I'm going to aim to get a complete story of about 2000 words done before bedtime tomorrow. wotf024

I guess if anyone wants to join me, that would be cool, but I know it's short notice. I only just found this thread today!

Sorry I wasn't able to join in this time around, Purellian. I hope you had a successful day!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Purellian

Postby Purellian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 am

I managed to spend most of my day flailing over half an idea, then realized it needed more work than a day could fit. I still wanted to write a whole story in a day, though, so I pounded out seven hundred words of silliness and put 'the end' on it. So, I was successful for a certain definition of success. wotf001
SHMX1
HMX4
RX1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 am

Purellian wrote:I managed to spend most of my day flailing over half an idea, then realized it needed more work than a day could fit. I still wanted to write a whole story in a day, though, so I pounded out seven hundred words of silliness and put 'the end' on it. So, I was successful for a certain definition of success. wotf001

Sounds like a win. Good job!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:40 am

I suppose I may be expressing my jealousy for those in the workshop and at the gala (sorry) and wanting to do something so.. Can we do something like this again on here? Perhaps one under 2,500 words (10 pages). I have never seemed to be able to get right into a story and make it gripping enough and culminate it in so short a space. For me this would be a great challenge. How would something like this work if we did it? Everyone involved PM everyone their stories?
I had another idea and it may seem childish but I am a Toys R Us kid and I am never growing up, so please understand. When I was in Boy Scouts we used to tell stories around the campfire. One person would start the tale and be limited to 2 minutes, then the next person would continue, then the next, etc... Sometimes what emerged became silly and outrageous and had the councellors and troop leaders rolling, and occasionally we ended up with a great and gripping story. No one was allowed to berate or tell the next person that was not how they wanted the story to go, it just unfolded with the view and interests of the next creator. I was wondering if something like this might be of interest to anyone? Perhaps limiting each person to 500 words.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

liz

Postby liz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:40 am

Brydar wrote:I suppose I may be expressing my jealousy for those in the workshop and at the gala (sorry) and wanting to do something so.. Can we do something like this again on here? Perhaps one under 2,500 words (10 pages). I have never seemed to be able to get right into a story and make it gripping enough and culminate it in so short a space. For me this would be a great challenge. How would something like this work if we did it? Everyone involved PM everyone their stories?
I had another idea and it may seem childish but I am a Toys R Us kid and I am never growing up, so please understand. When I was in Boy Scouts we used to tell stories around the campfire. One person would start the tale and be limited to 2 minutes, then the next person would continue, then the next, etc... Sometimes what emerged became silly and outrageous and had the councellors and troop leaders rolling, and occasionally we ended up with a great and gripping story. No one was allowed to berate or tell the next person that was not how they wanted the story to go, it just unfolded with the view and interests of the next creator. I was wondering if something like this might be of interest to anyone? Perhaps limiting each person to 500 words.

I'm in :)

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Brydar wrote:I suppose I may be expressing my jealousy for those in the workshop and at the gala (sorry) and wanting to do something so.. Can we do something like this again on here? Perhaps one under 2,500 words (10 pages). I have never seemed to be able to get right into a story and make it gripping enough and culminate it in so short a space. For me this would be a great challenge. How would something like this work if we did it? Everyone involved PM everyone their stories?

I'm game!

With time zone differences, it might be too complicated to try to all write during the exact same time period, but maybe we can each set our own 24-hr period during this weekend, and then PM each other our stories around Monday or so? (Assuming the PM system is working again by then.)

I have to admit, I have trouble ever writing a story under 2,500 words, even without a time limit. So this'll be a challenge for me on more than one front. Yay for challenge! Anyone want to assign me a random object? (There ended up being a sports meet yesterday at school, and I forgot to ask my students to think of a random object for me.)

Let's see, I think I'll start my own challenge in about 5 and 1/2 hours... Let's do this!! wotf024
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Oooh! This is fun!

http://www.springhole.net/writing_rolep ... bjects.htm

It gives you five items. Maybe we could each roll five items, and then incorporate three of the five into our story, or something like that?

At any rate, here are the five items that I just got. "A bouquet of flowers, a harmonica, a piece of gum, a toy robot, and an egg."

Oh no, wait, I just clicked it again, just to see what I got on a second try, and it only gave me three items. ("A safety pin, a pencil holder, and a hair ribbon.") So I guess even the number of items is random.

Must. Click. One. More. Time... "A hammer, a handheld game system, a can of peas, a bottle of glue, and a box of chalk."

Okay, let's be honest, I'm procrastinating the housework. Anyway, I'll see how many items from the first list I can incorporate into my story. Time to brainstorm while vacuuming! =)
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

liz

Postby liz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:13 am

Elen Tel'Ithil wrote:
With time zone differences, it might be too complicated to try to all write during the exact same time period, but maybe we can each set our own 24-hr period during this weekend, and then PM each other our stories around Monday or so? (Assuming the PM system is working again by then.)

Sounds good to me.

Elen Tel'Ithil wrote:Oooh! This is fun!

It gives you five items. Maybe we could each roll five items, and then incorporate three of the five into our story, or something like that?

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I just rolled a balloon, a pocketknife, a pair of rubber gloves, a carton of ice cream, and a tea pot. I have a bunch of genre cards as well. I think I'll draw one randomly...

Bangsian Fantasy. No idea what that is...

Oh fun

Okay so a balloon, a pocketknife, a pair of rubber gloves, a carton of ice cream, a tea pot, and let us say Benjamin Franklin.

wotf013

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 am

liz wrote:
Elen Tel'Ithil wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Elen Tel'Ithil wrote:Oooh! This is fun!

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I just rolled a balloon, a pocketknife, a pair of rubber gloves, a carton of ice cream, and a tea pot. I have a bunch of genre cards as well. I think I'll draw one randomly...

Bangsian Fantasy. No idea what that is...

Oh fun

Okay so a balloon, a pocketknife, a pair of rubber gloves, a carton of ice cream, a tea pot, and let us say Benjamin Franklin.

wotf013

I will have to write this on Sunday and send it to all on Monday so this works for me also. Assuming I can get my daughter to stop hogging the computer. Hah I used the site as well and I got.... <drum roll please> A spool of thread, a pasta strainer, a coffee mug, a bottle of soda, and a bar of soap. Why do all these random items seem to have a Hitchhikers flavoring to them? wotf007 No problem fitting the coffee mug and bottle of soda together in my story they can easily be things on the same restaurant table or kitchen table - right? I usually go to work early in the AM on Monday's so expect my story around 6 to 7 AM EST. Looking forward to seeing what you all write about your objects, time for some fun! wotf010 If the PM is not working we could e-mail them.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

liz

Postby liz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:28 am

Brydar wrote:
I will have to write this on Sunday and send it to all on Monday so this works for me also. Assuming I can get my daughter to stop hogging the computer. Hah I used the site as well and I got.... <drum roll please> A spool of thread, a pasta strainer, a coffee mug, a bottle of soda, and a bar of soap. Why do all these random items seem to have a Hitchhikers flavoring to them? wotf007 No problem fitting the coffee mug and bottle of soda together in my story they can easily be things on the same restaurant table or kitchen table - right? I usually go to work early in the AM on Monday's so expect my story around 6 to 7 AM EST. Looking forward to seeing what you all write about your objects, time for some fun! wotf010 If the PM is not working we could e-mail them.

Nice! Pasta strainers have particular potential as story artifacts, in my opinion. Mundane, yet full of possibilities. Same reason I'm excited about my teapot wotf007

I'll probably write mine tomorrow as well.

Happy writing everyone!

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:22 am

Okay, I haven't written a complete story in over a month. So no chance with the random objects, huh? I was awarded "A plush dinosaur, a packet of seeds, a miniature portrait, and a trash bag."

Now is that a challenge or what? wotf016

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:24 am

liz wrote:
Brydar wrote:

Nice! Pasta strainers have particular potential as story artifacts, in my opinion. Mundane, yet full of possibilities. Same reason I'm excited about my teapot wotf007

I'll probably write mine tomorrow as well.

Happy writing everyone!

Are we sticking to 2,500 or less or what those folks previously did at 3,000 or less? My daughter offered me some time to write this morning and has been watching her brother. It took me 3 hours and my draft is complete at just a bit over 2,500 words, Ok to be precise it comes up as 2,678 words. I have not edited, spell check or anything as of yet nor have I cut out any of the fat. My daughter said she liked it but definitely does not love it. wotf014 So maybe after I tweak it a bit I will have it done by tonight and send it out to both of you and whomever else joins in for this writing fun. Edited: Our messages crossed Ishmael does this mean your in? Huzzah!
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:41 am

Oh yeah -- four people total!! wotf006

Well, I had some unexpected family stuff this afternoon, and now it's just after midnight, so looks like I'll be writing my story on Sunday, too! I've got it fairly well plotted out in my head already, though, and there are scenes and bits of dialogue that have been floating around in my thoughts all day, so I'm getting pretty excited about it! =D =D =D

Wow, Brydar, already finished -- woohoo!! wotf010

As far as word limits go, I'm personally fine with a flexible limit. Since I've realized lately that I really struggle with story arc, I'm focusing more this year on trying to write really solid and complete story arcs, then looking to see what my word count ends up being. I think this story idea that I have will be less than 2,500/3,000, but I'm not really sure. (If it turns out longer, I won't be at all offended if you other three don't want to read it!)

HM x 2
R x 2

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:22 am

I got: a carrot, a pocket knife, a sword, and a toothpick.
Writing fast is not my forte, but that's all the more reason to try wotf024
Time to take my daughter to the park, and do some brainstorming.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”