Story in a Day Challenge

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Rebecca Birch

Re: Story in a Day Challenge

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:51 am

I'm not sure if I'm actually in or not, but just in case:

An ice pick, a spool of string, a candlestick, and a thimble.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 16, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Just sent the PM with my story I hope things worked properly it looked like it may have dumped it instead of sending it out. Please let me know if you received it. Edited: I just discovered it did not send the first time out so I tried again. My story is sitting in my Outbox doing nothing at the moment. wotf016
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Sadly, I am still unable to open any PMs. I see I received one, but can't get it fully open.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't have time to write a story this weekend, but I looked at the random objects curiously. Every single one that came up for me screamed 'mystery' in my opinion!
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 pm

I checked my outbox and it is gone and my story now appears as a message sent. I hope it actually makes it to those of you I addressed it to. Elen Tel' Ithil, liz, Ishmael, amoskalik, and Rebecca Birch.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:01 am

Okay, Brydar, I just checked my messages and was able to see your story. (And then I promptly cc'd it into a document on my computer for safekeeping, just in case the system goes funky on me again!) I'm looking forward to reading it after I finish mine! =) Rebecca, and everyone else, are you able to see the message with Brydar's story now?

Had a surprising number of social obligations today, so it's now 8pm and I'm just now sitting down to write out my story. I'm giving myself until midnight, so fly, you little fingers, fly!

Looking forward to reading everyone's stories!

Tamlyn wrote:I don't have time to write a story this weekend, but I looked at the random objects curiously. Every single one that came up for me screamed 'mystery' in my opinion!

Oooh... Perhaps the writing of a mystery lies in your future then! wotf007
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 am

Hey, wow! For a brief, shining moment, I was able to see the messages!

For what it's worth, I finally have my day and will start into the story writing now. Let there be words.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 am

Okay. My 24 hours are up and I'm not finished. Too many distractions when you live on a farm. On the other hand I have logged 2,600 words of what I hope is mildly humorous historical fantasy and I have all four of my items reasonably integral to the plot.

This is about double what I managed in the past month, so the spur has been effective, thank you all. I'll finish some time soon.

Not too sure about posting the stories by PM guys. I'd feel better about sending them direct. I have email addresses for most participants. If any I don't have would care to see my effort when it's ready, please just let me know where to email it. (And if anyone would care not to see it ....)

wotf011
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:53 am

E-mail, PM, message in a bottle (no guaranteed delivery), whatever it takes I do not care. I am just curious to read short stories created by mentors and peers. Fun, fun, fun...
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Sooo . . . this story is not going to be under 2500 words. Probably closer to 3500. I'd still love to share it when it's done, though if anyone wants to bow out from such a long one, I totally understand.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Ohmigosh, I forgot how long the awards ceremony runs. I love it very much, but it's going to make the last bit of this story a wee bit loopy from I'm-tired-itis.

wotf007
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Aaand, draft! Just over 4,200 words. Not bad for a day's work.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

liz

Postby liz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 am

Sounds like some great getting done wotf009

I had some unexpected guests so I'm just getting started, but it's mostly planned out. I should be ready to share in a few hours (fingers crossed!)

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 am

Mine made 3,000 in 25 hours and has been despatched (at least once and possibly more often than that owing to recalcitrant technology) to all participants. I'll save everyone the trouble of saying 'It's drivel,' by saying it myself. However, if anyone has any other thoughts I'd genuinely be pleased to hear them.

I'm not sure if a knowledge of the original Greek myth helps or not. Anyhow, Cadmus, founder of Thebes, was said to have invented writing as a result of his adventures. So there's that.

wotf012

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:49 am

Ishmael wrote:Mine made 3,000 in 25 hours and has been despatched (at least once and possibly more often than that owing to recalcitrant technology) to all participants. I'll save everyone the trouble of saying 'It's drivel,' by saying it myself. However, if anyone has any other thoughts I'd genuinely be pleased to hear them.

I'm not sure if a knowledge of the original Greek myth helps or not. Anyhow, Cadmus, founder of Thebes, was said to have invented writing as a result of his adventures. So there's that.

wotf012

I had to look up Cadmus because I did not know any more than he was the founder of Thebes. I had to go through my serial processing memory to pull that info up. I found your story humorous and really enjoyed reading it.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:58 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:Aaand, draft! Just over 4,200 words. Not bad for a day's work.

4,200 words Excellent! Looking forward to reading it; where is it, where is it... I'm ready to do more reading...
wotf040
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:04 am

Ishmael wrote:Mine made 3,000 in 25 hours and has been despatched (at least once and possibly more often than that owing to recalcitrant technology) to all participants. I'll save everyone the trouble of saying 'It's drivel,' by saying it myself. However, if anyone has any other thoughts I'd genuinely be pleased to hear them.

wotf012

I found the story humorous and enjoyable. And, dare I say, educational.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:10 am

Brydar and Amoskalik, I've tried to send you both email and PMs through the system, but I have no idea if either actually worked. I have, however, received both of your stories and will read and get back to you ASAP. Ishmael, I replied to your regular email, so I'm going to assume that one worked.

Elen Tel'Ithil and Liz, if you'd like to read my behemoth, just let me know.

Thanks, and congratulations to everybody for writing a story in a day! That's a win in and of itself.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 am

Rebecca Birch wrote: Elen Tel'Ithil and Liz, if you'd like to read my behemoth, just let me know.

Thanks, and congratulations to everybody for writing a story in a day! That's a win in and of itself.

I agree! Rah rah!! And yes, Rebecca, I would love to read your behemoth -- thank you!

I've received Brydar, Amos, and Ishmael's stories, and I'm looking forward to reading them tomorrow!

As for mine, well...it's a bit embarrassing, but I've now spent 28 hours on it, it's just over 5,000 words (!), and the last "scene" is a summary of what I still had left to write to finish the story. I figure it's already 4 hours overdue and twice as big as it should be, so I'll just add the standard disclaimer that it's a total first draft and I'm sorry it's so huge, and I'd better just go ahead and send it to y'all!

If I choose to look on the bright side, though, it's not at all embarrassing, come to think of it... In 28 hours, I managed to sleep 6 hours, teach 7 classes, and write over 5,000 words!!! (And this in spite of battling a massive headache the whole time.) I've got a story line that I'm personally happy with, and I'm excited about finishing up the first draft and getting into editing it!

So, hurray hurray for writing challenges and fellow forumites to make them fun!
"Write until it becomes as natural as breathing. Write until not writing makes you anxious." - Christina Katz

HM x 2
R x 2

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 am

Argh! PMs are being stupid again. I can read the one from Amoskalik (thank you!), and I can see Brydar and Elen sent PMs, but I can't read them. Maybe try the email function?
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 am

Okay, wow, it was harder to try to send a PM than I thought, but hopefully it's successfully reached you all! If anyone wants me to email them instead, just let me know your email and I'll send it that way. =)

Rebecca, I think it probably got sent to you twice by accident, sorry!

Ishmael, I sent your copy by email.

Edit: Just saw your post Rebecca -- I'm not sure how the email function works, but I'm trying it right now...

HM x 2
R x 2

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:20 am

Elen Tel'Ithil wrote:Okay, wow, it was harder to try to send a PM than I thought, but hopefully it's successfully reached you all! If anyone wants me to email them instead, just let me know your email and I'll send it that way. =)

Rebecca, I think it probably got sent to you twice by accident, sorry!

Ishmael, I sent your copy by email.

Edit: Just saw your post Rebecca -- I'm not sure how the email function works, but I'm trying it right now...

Email received, Elen Tel'Ithil! And PM sent (hopefully).
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:Email received, Elen Tel'Ithil!

Oh good!

And then, oh ack! It's not letting me see your PM. wotf012

If you don't mind trying email instead, my email address is a gmail address. And if you take my wotf forum username of "Elen Tel'Ithil" and just put it all together without any spaces or punctuation, that's my gmail handle! wotf007

HM x 2
R x 2

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:26 am

Excellent time I had (and hope you all did as well) as I rushed through getting this done between familial obligations. Some of you had even more on your plate and still managed to get this done I am most impressed! How you all succeed in including such literary work in such a limited space astounds me. Can we do this again once we all have our stories for this quarter uploaded? Perhaps we could do this at the end of June, how about on the Solstice day in order to absorb some magical goodness from Gaia. wotf011
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:22 am

Well the whole exercise did wonders for me. I found myself writing faster than I have for months and though at first I thought the story was terrible it is growing on me after a certain amount of tidying up.

I wondered about F&SF who always complain about a lack of humour. Right now of course I have one already in their slush pile, so I might sit on this for a little while. I did find a substantial continuity error at the end of scene one and I have added a little more setting and characterisation so it's now 3300, which is a nice length for several markets. If I leave it for a week I may find some tweaks, but really I think the speed with which it came together may have helped insulate against the worst plot errors.

You know, by accident I seem to have a hook, a double try / fail cycle, a flawed hero and everything except the Bechdel Test. But then these guys are Ancient Greeks! (And George will back me up on this, I hope!)
wotf019

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:34 am

I found the exercise refreshing. I usually over think everything, so having only a short time really helped. Everyone else's stories exhibited excellence, each in its own way, which was very educational as well. So yes, let's do this again wotf008

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:52 am

Ishmael wrote:You know, by accident I seem to have a hook, a double try / fail cycle, a flawed hero and everything except the Bechdel Test. But then these guys are Ancient Greeks! (And George will back me up on this, I hope!)

It is an unfortunate fact that Ancient Greeks usually failed the Bechdel Test. Especially Plato's works. wotf005

They were great on flawed heros, however wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:56 am

I've got one more to read, but I'm already excited at how many awesome stories got written in such a short time frame. You all rock.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

george nik. wrote:
Ishmael wrote:You know, by accident I seem to have a hook, a double try / fail cycle, a flawed hero and everything except the Bechdel Test. But then these guys are Ancient Greeks! (And George will back me up on this, I hope!)

It is an unfortunate fact that Ancient Greeks usually failed the Bechdel Test. Especially Plato's works. wotf005

Bechdel Test. You guys are truly a fount of knowledge. Love it, especially the originating cartoon. I'm afraid I resemble the Ancient Greeks on this one though.

Elen Tel'Ithil

Postby Elen Tel'Ithil » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 am

It's so exciting to hear how helpful this challenge was for all of us, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories, too. This has been great!

Liz, did you send out your story? If you haven't yet, that's just fine of course, but I wouldn't want to miss out on it if it's just the PM system being weird. =)

Brydar, the idea of the summer solstice...that sounds fun! June 21. I'll be grading final exams and preparing to go visit family in the States for a month, so I don't know if I'll manage it. But if I plan ahead enough, it sure might work!

amoskalik wrote:
george nik. wrote:

Bechdel Test. You guys are truly a fount of knowledge. Love it, especially the originating cartoon. I'm afraid I resemble the Ancient Greeks on this one though.

I thought about the Bechdel Test when I was writing mine, too. Mine doesn't pass, either. It gets really hard to pull off, though, if you're using first person and that person is male, so I decided not to sweat it too much.

HM x 2
R x 2

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”