Story in a Day Challenge

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
morshana

Re: Story in a Day Challenge

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Finished. Like pulling teeth, but done, at 3,330 words.

Thanks, Rebecca!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Anyone ready to exchange? wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm done. Can't say how long it is because I haven't typed it up yet (and I'm too tired to at this point), but it's more than three pages front and back, so should make the minimum word count unless my scribbles got a bit loopier than usual.

This has honestly been the best writing session I've had in a long time. It was as if I was in a coma the entire way through, completely absorbed in the story. I'd almost forgotten what it's like to just let go and write; so much of my work lately has been about craft and "getting it right." It was a refreshing experience that I wouldn't have had if Rebecca hadn't suggested this, so thank you for that wotf008

It took me a little over two hours to write the story, all told. I started at nine immediately following happy hour after work (I know, I know, release the halibut), so I was also writing with a couple of beers in me. (After our discussion on alcohol this week, I kind of wanted to try it again anyway.) I don't think it helped me to be more creative on the whole, just got the momentum rolling right away and kept me going all through the draft. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I type it up to see if the writing is any good. wotf017

And I'm willing to exchange once I've got this baby digitized. PM me if you're interested!

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Yay! I'm up for an exchange. I'll ping you now.

Yeah - thanks again Rebecca!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 pm

And I'm done, too, at just over 5000 words! That was AWESOME. I've never done that challenge before, and with the DWS workshop coming up in April, I thought it would be a good idea to get in practice.

YAY, Jeanette! And YAY, AustinDM!

I'm excited to see your stories. I think I almost made myself cry with mine. That was...unexpected.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:And I'm done, too, at just over 5000 words! That was AWESOME. I've never done that challenge before, and with the DWS workshop coming up in April, I thought it would be a good idea to get in practice.

YAY, Jeanette! And YAY, AustinDM!

I'm excited to see your stories. I think I almost made myself cry with mine. That was...unexpected.

Yay! wotf010

And, yes, it WAS awesome! I'm hooked. I want to do it again.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 am

Well, unfortunately I didn't get a story done today. It turned out my day was more busy then I thought it was going to be. I did have some time at the start of the day, but then time just slipped away from me. I just can't do it. Every time I think of the 24 hour story I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know with my luck, it will be my story that is picked for everyone to read. Not only will it be terrible but it won't be finished. What am I going to do! I just start writing and my story gets longer and longer! I can't write something so fast and figure out how to end it without feeling like the ending was rushed. I'm such a slow writer! Well maybe I'll try this challenge again next time. Just everyone please promise me when my story gets picked at the workshop, you'll remember what I told you in this post and you won't laugh at my silly nonsense scribbled on paper. So embarrassing!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:45 am

There was no way I was going to find the time to get a 24 hour story done this week.

No time.

But I did one about 6 weeks ago that sold in 6 days. :)

Lot to be said for this deadline lark.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:25 am

My final word count comes in at 3275, which is shorter than I normally write, but not bad for only two hours of work.

Rebecca and Jeanette: I sent you guys emails. If anyone else finished one and wants to swap, I'm open for that too!

And Stephanie, I think the trick is practice. This time last year, I felt the same way about writing a story so quickly, but then I thought what the hell and gave it a try. It's really an exhilarating experience and a nice way to clear your head. Don't think, just write. The best way would be to set aside a Saturday and just go for it. Write it all in one sitting if you can. It seems like a big task at first, but once you're into the story and the writing takes over, the mental freedom is really spectacular.

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 am

I'm actually going to try to do my story today. Yesterday was editing.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am

austinDm wrote:
And Stephanie, I think the trick is practice. This time last year, I felt the same way about writing a story so quickly, but then I thought what the hell and gave it a try. It's really an exhilarating experience and a nice way to clear your head. Don't think, just write. The best way would be to set aside a Saturday and just go for it. Write it all in one sitting if you can. It seems like a big task at first, but once you're into the story and the writing takes over, the mental freedom is really spectacular.

You're right I think I just need to practice. Actually I remember doing it once with a poem, just writing and writing even if I wasn't sure it made it sense. The poem actually turned out to be the best one I had ever written. I even incorporated some of it into my HM story! So maybe I'll start with small things like that and then try to tackle a whole story. I tend to over think things and plan it out, especially the ending. But I have to learn there will always be time to fix it after I write it. The best thing is to get it all down, especially if it's a good idea and you may forget something later on. I'm going to keep working at it. So my challenge today will be another poem. Here I go!
wotf024
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:35 pm

AMcCarter wrote:I'm actually going to try to do my story today. Yesterday was editing.

I just stumbled onto this thread today. I'm going to bang out my story today. We'll see how that goes...
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:25 pm

I totally failed. We got back at about 9 from my husband's work thing (and before that I had kids all day...with friends. Usually they play well together, but I had to keep stopping them from climbing things this time). I had a bunch of critiquing to do until bed. After Labor Day there will be nothing that will stop me from the next story in a day challenge!!! I hope you do this again soon Rebecca.

(I did get about 500 words in on a new story though)

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 am

Okay, yeah, only got 1000 words in yesterday. It's my birthday this weekend and I should have known better. Ooh! Shiny! /runs off to play.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 am

[quote="MJNL"]Another good way to do a story in a day (presuming you don't know what you want to write, yet) is to sit down and read a short story you've never read before (preferably a professionally published one from a venue you like) and read it for feeling. When you're done, tell yourself: I'm going to write a story that feels like this story. Identify three elements you think contributed to its specific feel, then pick parallel elements for your own story.[quote]

Marina, I want to thank you for posting this. I didn't use it exactly, but I did something similiar. I listened to a particular song that gave me a powerful emotional reaction and I tried to write a story that triggered the same thing. I think I was actually successful, too. If you hadn't posted what you did, I don't think I would have thought to dig deep into an emotional resonance. Very helpful.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

No WorldCon for me. No day job tomorrow. Me feeling overwhelmed and incompetent. All these things put together have told me it's time to do another story in a day tomorrow (Friday). Again, anyone is welcome to join in. Honestly, just putting it up here that I'm doing it is the best way for me not to wimp out on myself. There will be a story tomorrow, come heck or high water.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm

You hit on my exact mood this week, Rebecca. My current story is driving me crazy. I'm ready to drop-kick it off the computer. wotf016

But, to be fair, it's not the story's fault. It's my brain. The gremlins came in the night again some time last week and replaced it with fuzz. I can't write with fuzz. For one, it won't stay on the paper. Glue just makes a mess. Added glitter makes it pretty, but doesn't change the fact that it's still fuzz.

Don't know if this means I should get back to my first Q4 story and start tinkering with it or if I should try to finish this second contender for Q4 or if I should start another story or just say to hell with it all and play a game. It's been months since I did that...

Or I could try the story in a day again.

Or...the fuzz.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm

morshana wrote:You hit on my exact mood this week, Rebecca. My current story is driving me crazy. I'm ready to drop-kick it off the computer. wotf016

But, to be fair, it's not the story's fault. It's my brain. The gremlins came in the night again some time last week and replaced it with fuzz. I can't write with fuzz. For one, it won't stay on the paper. Glue just makes a mess. Added glitter makes it pretty, but doesn't change the fact that it's still fuzz.

Don't know if this means I should get back to my first Q4 story and start tinkering with it or if I should try to finish this second contender for Q4 or if I should start another story or just say to hell with it all and play a game. It's been months since I did that...

Or I could try the story in a day again.

Or...the fuzz.

I'm sorry, Jeanette. It's frustrating when the brain-fuzz hits.

I'm a little more scared to jump into the story in a day this time, because last time I was pumped up and in an enthusiastic frame of mind. This time, I'm frustrated, crabby, and mind-blocked. I don't know if it'll work. It'll be good to find out.

Worst case scenario, I can have a glitter party.

wotf017
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 am

You can do it, Rebecca! wotf024

I'm going to pour the equivalent word count into my WIP and see if I can whip it into shape. I see the rest of the story, just not the transition between what I've written and where I'm going. I'll solve it! Just need to get the broom out and sweep the mind. Turn off the editor and let the creative side free.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:38 am

Good idea, Jeanette!

Take charge of that WIP!

As for me, I'm here at the Starbucks, having breakfast, and as soon as that's done, I'm turning on Freedom for my first hour. And I still have NO CLUE what I'm writing about. This should be ... interesting.

wotf012
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 pm

2900 words. Story not done. 3 1/2 hours left in the day.

Panic?
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Phew! Story done at 3,500 words.

Experiment was a success. I really can write a story with absolutely no ideas at the start of the day. It'll need some serious editing and is absolutely not contest appropriate, but it's done.

wotf024
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Phew! Story done at 3,500 words.

Experiment was a success. I really can write a story with absolutely no ideas at the start of the day. It'll need some serious editing and is absolutely not contest appropriate, but it's done.

wotf024

Woo-hoo!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Phew! Story done at 3,500 words.

wotf024

Nicely done Rebecca!

I completely missed the challenge this time around (traveling for Labor Day weekend), but I hope to get to read it some day wotf007

ArthurWheeldon

Postby ArthurWheeldon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Okay, okay, okay. You guys have piqued my interest. This story in a day challenge has long been something I've wanted to buckle down and try. It could be good for me, too. Usually I sit down, write 1,000 words or so, then go back and read it, making small changes as I go. It works for me. It always has. However, I want to expand my writing skill-set, so I'm going to give this a go. I've tried it in the past, but excuses crowd me out every time. Kids. School. Work. TV. World of Warcraft (which has been deleted from my computer, because I don't like my downfall to be a computer game). So, a heads up...I work ALL day tomorrow, so that probably won't be the best time for a goal of this nature. Sunday, however, I'm all different sorts of groovy. So, rain or shine, hell or highwater, for better or for worse...I'm going to do it. I love this little community of writers. You guys are all so supportive. Can't wait to hear back from the Q3 results!!!

-Arthur
Questions come before we ever learn what an answer is.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm

ArthurWheeldon wrote:Okay, okay, okay. You guys have piqued my interest. This story in a day challenge has long been something I've wanted to buckle down and try. It could be good for me, too. Usually I sit down, write 1,000 words or so, then go back and read it, making small changes as I go. It works for me. It always has. However, I want to expand my writing skill-set, so I'm going to give this a go. I've tried it in the past, but excuses crowd me out every time. Kids. School. Work. TV. World of Warcraft (which has been deleted from my computer, because I don't like my downfall to be a computer game). So, a heads up...I work ALL day tomorrow, so that probably won't be the best time for a goal of this nature. Sunday, however, I'm all different sorts of groovy. So, rain or shine, hell or highwater, for better or for worse...I'm going to do it. I love this little community of writers. You guys are all so supportive. Can't wait to hear back from the Q3 results!!!

-Arthur

Fabulous! Good luck, and may the Force be with you! You can do it.

wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 am

Okay, I need a kick in the heinie.

I'm issuing this challenge for myself for tomorrow, December 16, 2012. I'm not setting a word-count threshold this time, but it does have to have an ending.

If anybody else wants to join in, hooray! The more the merrier!

If not, putting it out in public makes me accountable. It's time for some new fiction. I've been dead blocked, save for editing, since NaNoWriMo ended.

Let there be words!

wotf042
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:10 am

I was just thinking about doing this too, Rebecca! I'm in!

liz

Postby liz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Me three:) Anyone up for exchanging crits after we're all finished?

Quinn

Postby Quinn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

What the heck, I'll do this. And Liz, I'd love to exchange critiques - anyone else interested?

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”