2 Week Novel Writing Challenge

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
liz

2 Week Novel Writing Challenge

Postby liz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:59 am

I'm setting myself a massive 2-week, 80,000 word novel writing challenge. 5,715 words per day. I need it.

If anyone's interested in following along, or better yet, joining me, I'll be posting updates on my blog, http://www.lizrylen.com/2-week-novel-writing-challenge/

Really, if anyone's up for a run just let me know. The more the merrier in frightening (I mean, fantastically fun) endeavours like this one wotf007

Cheers!

Dustin Adams

Re: 2 Week Novel Writing Challenge

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 am

I don't write
that many words
in a year!
But I shall cheer you on! wotf010
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:05 am

Best of luck.
(I would likely hurt myself on day one if tried something like this.)
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:50 am

That's closer to a weekly output for me!
I salute you bravery!
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

liz

Postby liz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for the support guys! I know it's kind of last minute anyway for joiners but I do appreciate the good wishes. I'm feeling confident. We'll see how it goes wotf011

I'm about halfway there for day 1, so, back to writing!

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:33 pm

I am a late to this party but YaY, go for it.

I can do 54,000 in a month and maybe I could do 80,000 in two weeks but I would have to drop everything else.

But since you want to go for it
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

liz

Postby liz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Scrivener is saving my life.

Therefore, an ode:

Oh Scrivener, thou that simplifiest,
Thy varied panes and clearly defined chapter spaces
Fill me with rapture, for no longer must I shift my gaze afar
To take in my outline;
Or with haste and loss of clarity,
Search through many a file for that forgotten passage,
And indeed, thy Project Targets window
Floods me with yearning for Victory

Why have I not tried this program before?

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:55 pm

I can't join in with you on this one, but I'm here to be the cheerleading section!

wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Crimminy.

Good luck!
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:58 pm

My arthritic little gator-green shoulders are falling from their sockets at the mere thought.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

liz

Postby liz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks guys, again I appreciate the support! This is an awesome forum, I love the positivity wotf007

I just posted an update on my blog if anyone's interested, but the gist of it is that I got off to a rocky start as far as hitting 5700ish per day, but a fantastic start comparing to my usual word counts of late. It's day 4 and I'm at about 12,800 words. I need 6700/day to finish, which is far from impossible. I wrote 6,000 today on two hours of sleep, so I'm hopeful that now I've found my stride I'll hit those marks.

Also, learning a lot more about tying a plot together than i ever did reading articles about tying plots together.

It's only 8:50 where I'm at but I'm off to bed! My head is about to explode.

Happy writing :D

http://www.lizrylen.com/2-week-novel-wr ... 11-update/

liz

Postby liz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:03 am

So challenge finished yesterday and i only hit 51,000. That's 29,000 short but you know what? I am totally okay with that. I feel like i've earned my exhaustion ;)

There were a couple of days that i didnt write at all, and i really wish i had. I think that a two-week novel is possible. I just need more practice and more anti-burnout/time management strategies. Which means i will be trying this again in the near future (mwuahaha... wotf029 )

In the meantime, i've got the better part of a novel I'm excited about, and i hope to finish it the first week of september (after i get back from vacation). I think i will try to make this the middle bok of a trilogy wotf006

Anyway even though i didnt make it, i wanted to say thanks for the support guys :) It's been an adventure and it always helps to feel like there's people rooting for you.

In the words of i-don't-know-who: Onwards and upwards! And happy writing :)

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 am

Whaaaaat? How?
Liz, you monster wotf007

Now, I have to ask - did you start with just an idea, or an outline, or just a couple of bulletpoints? Did you explore the characters and world beforehand or was everything done from skratch during the two weeks?

Ah, I've just seen the blog post - damn, I have to make myself jump right in and go nuts. I usually have to know the ending, and a couple of checkpoints in the middle.

Go, Liz! wotf010

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:54 pm

liz wrote:So challenge finished yesterday and i only hit 51,000. That's 29,000 short but you know what? I am totally okay with that. I feel like i've earned my exhaustion ;)

There were a couple of days that i didnt write at all, and i really wish i had. I think that a two-week novel is possible. I just need more practice and more anti-burnout/time management strategies. Which means i will be trying this again in the near future (mwuahaha... wotf029 )

In the meantime, i've got the better part of a novel I'm excited about, and i hope to finish it the first week of september (after i get back from vacation). I think i will try to make this the middle bok of a trilogy wotf006

Anyway even though i didnt make it, i wanted to say thanks for the support guys :) It's been an adventure and it always helps to feel like there's people rooting for you.

In the words of i-don't-know-who: Onwards and upwards! And happy writing :)

In that case a congrats is in order and Good For You.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

liz

Postby liz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm

AliceBrook wrote:Whaaaaat? How?
Liz, you monster wotf007

Now, I have to ask - did you start with just an idea, or an outline, or just a couple of bulletpoints? Did you explore the characters and world beforehand or was everything done from skratch during the two weeks?

Ah, I've just seen the blog post - damn, I have to make myself jump right in and go nuts. I usually have to know the ending, and a couple of checkpoints in the middle.

Go, Liz! wotf010

Thanks Alice! I think there's definitely something to just going for it. I had a basic framework but I didn't let myself stop and re-outline every time I got a new idea, something that, in my experience, can take up almost as much time as actual writing. The jump in and go nuts technique seems to have worked, at least for this novel! Now I just have to finish it wotf011

If you decide to give it a try I hope you'll post what you learn on the forum! I'm always looking for new insights on how to improve the writing process wotf007

liz

Postby liz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:12 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:In that case a congrats is in order and Good For You.

Thanks LD wotf008

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 am

liz wrote: If you decide to give it a try I hope you'll post what you learn on the forum! I'm always looking for new insights on how to improve the writing process wotf007

I'm into short stories for now - I'd like more practice and at least a couple more novellas before I tackle a novel. I started with shorts, so the Long Ones are still kinda daunting.
I found that I need to know the lead, at least an idea of who the other characters are and some plot bulletpoints, preferably with the ending. Otherwise, I just go in circles or stare at the screen.
So, if I have all of those thing I can write for hours, but I've yet to crack 2K a day. I think that is more of a confidence problem than a plot problem, though, so I'm hoping that the more I write the easier it'll be to just keep going.

Not to say that plotting isn't a problem - it remains my biggest hurdle. No matter how many techniques I read about and study, I find it troubling. This proved extremely helpful for me - with a couple of tweaks (like more reaction scenes to get the story more character centered instead of plot centered, or replacing physical conflict with a personal one) it can work for almost every story, I think.
Still, all I can do is keep writing with care and thought, and hope my confidence along with my skill will grow..

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:04 am

Thanks Alice. I added that to my favorites.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

liz

Postby liz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:43 am

storysinger wrote:Thanks Alice. I added that to my favorites.

Me too. Thanks Alice!

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”