Page End Neurosis

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
kentagions

Page End Neurosis

Postby kentagions » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Some time in the past, Word programmers decided when a page would end. No longer will a page end willy-nilly with an exact number of lines. No. It has to look good. Looking good means never ending a page with one line of a paragraph or starting a new page with just two lines of a paragraph. So the document shifts by three lines to satisfy programming.

Enter me, a concerned conservation-minded individual who still clings to the thought that line count equals page count and extra pages mean death to poor, unsuspecting trees, then death to owls, an overpopulation of rodents, super-strains of black death released on the world and finally the collapse of civilization. I can't have that on my head!

I have changed words, sentences and paragraphs in a desperate attempt to save the world. With just one word I can shift the document and bring two whole lines back to the previous page. An extra sentence can make a paragraph long enough to warrant splitting it between two pages. Life saving measures are taking place every day.

I've done it quietly, sweating over minutia while pestilence nips at my heels. The responsibility weighs heavily on my mind, so I'm asking if there is anyone else who can be relied upon to help. Who else has noticed changing line count and recognized it for the diabolical conspiracy that it really is?

Yeah, that's it. I... I need h-help.

Kent

orbivillein

Re: Page End Neurosis

Postby orbivillein » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Word's default letter document template contains numerous unconventional format settings and automatic formats. A best advised strategy is to reset them all to conventional Standard Typescript Format definitions.

Begin with a blank document. To set default font (typeface and size), on the Home tab click the down and right arrow in the lower left-hand corner of the Font selections on its ribbon. Set font to preferred typeface, e.g., Courier New, font style to regular, size to 12 pts., font color to automatic, underline style none, uncheck any effects boxes. Then click the advanced tab and and reset if necessary: Character Spacing to 100% scale, Spacing normal, and Position normal. Uncheck kerning for fonts and no OpenType features, or none and default, respectively. When all settings are suitable, click the Set as Default button and select Set as default for all documents based on the Normal.dotm template.

Likewise, for the Paragraph dialogue on the home tab and its ribbon down right arrow. Indent and spacing tab, General, Alignment, Left, Outline Level, Body Text; Indentation, Left, 0", Right, 0", Special, None; and Spacing (line), Before, 0", After, 0", Line Spacing, Double, uncheck Don't add space between paragraphs; select tabs, set to default tab .5", click Line and Page Break tab, uncheck all boxes, especially the widow/orphan control check box, which is the root of all lines moving to another page. Then click Set as Default button and select as default for all documents based on the Normal.dotm template. These actions reset the default document template.

Also, consider setting page layout margins top and left to .75" so that the header and footer line spaces print outside the page body margins, results in exactly 25 content lines per page. Reset header to .5" from top and 0" from bottom of the the header box. Include page number insert in header, and . . . Slander, heck and calumny, the gdmf Word auto header/footer format.

Also, consider turning off AutoCorrect for replace two hyphens with dash, three periods with ellipsis points glyph, straight quote marks and apostrophes with SmartQuote marks, etc. Under the File menu, choose Options, select Proofing, select AutoCorrect options, select AutoFormat, and adjust whichever suits the intent. Like turn off replace straight quotes with SmartQuotes, replace fractions, points, ordinals, etc.

A lot to do, though once and done; and Word's template designers' true nefarious intent is to force upon users the learning of how to adjust documents and set layout options.

Corel Office WordPerfect is far less problematic and my preferred word processor program. Less verbose formatting, too, the Reveal Code feature is most much convenient for eliminating spurious codes that turn a document into a multi megabyte file the more it's edited and revised. Argh on Word.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Krystal taught me about something called Widows & Orphans. In the Paragraph window under the Lines and Page Breaks tab, there something called Widow/Orphan Control.

If you select all your text, and then toggle off the Widow/Orphan control, magically, paragraphs will show up on the page all the way to the end, even if it leaves just one stray word on the next page! This was a revelation and made me a much happier writer.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank You Rebecca,
I'm sure I can speak for millions of trees, owls, and a healthy civilization when I say that this information has made a real difference. BTW, I make great chocolate covered English Toffee (Sorry Brits). I owe you a batch.
Kent

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Paper? How quaint.

wotf013
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:21 am

Personally, if I end with a couple of lines falling on to an extra page... I take a blank line out of the first page, from above the title, to shuffle everything up.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”