Cooling off between drafting and revising

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Athena

Cooling off between drafting and revising

Postby Athena » Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Does anyone enforce a cooling off period between finishing a rough draft/1st draft and going back to revise? If so, how long? If not, why not?
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

amoskalik

Re: Cooling off between drafting and revising

Postby amoskalik » Thu May 19, 2016 4:11 pm

I usually wait between one to two weeks for a short story.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu May 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I wait as long as I possibly can.

The 3 month window doesn't make that easy, but I've waited days when I've only had a week. I don't revise, revise, revise. I wait, wait, revisereviserevise.

The more distance you can give yourself at any time, the better. A month for a short story is probably ideal. Maybe more.

Another question is, how many times have folks gotten their story back after three months, looked it over and fixed a ton of things? wotf025

If they're little things, meh, but the stories I could tell you... like, "Why did I make that decision?" and "I cut 800 words from the story after I got it back."

So, yeah. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu May 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I usually wait about a week between drafts one and two, but I probably ought to wait longer. I just... can't. wotf001
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 pm

With me it depends. I try to wait three to four weeks in-between. But many times it's down to one week or even a couple of days because of contest deadlines. A couple of times it has been six months because I forgot to revise a story.

So far I don't think it matters that much whatever period I wait.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 pm

I wait until I'm somewhere in between the "Big Bill Shakespeare aint got nuthin' on me," and the "OMG, what kind of drugs was I on when I wrote this" phases of my creative process.

When I finish a story, know it is clean copy, and feel it's ready to entertain people, I can be unreasonably cocky and lose all objectivity. That is no time to evaluate.

Correspondingly, when a story has been sitting around so long that it becomes unrecognizable, I become overly critical and lose all objectivity. Still a bad thing.

So I'm looking for sympathetic without being cocky and objective without being critical. That's where the meat of my editing happens. The wait time to get through the cocky phase is about two weeks, down from four. The editing window is open for about a year.

I hang old stories in the woods on full moon nights in the hope that they'll regain life and come back to me.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

This is, perversely, one of the benefits of critters, in that it takes two or three weeks to bubble up through the queue, which is a good amount of time to get some distance and brace yourself for the critiques. Don't look at it all during that time.

The correct amount of time for me, though, is usually "a first draft of something else". Then I'm in love with that new story and not so offended by the previous one getting torn apart :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 am

I find 2 weeks allows for enough time to distance myself from the piece I'm working but as with everything else in writing it's different for each writer.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Athena

Postby Athena » Sun May 22, 2016 10:59 am

I'm still trying to find the right window. I find if I wait too long, I don't want to have anything to do with the story any more. I have such a hard time reading older stuff.
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”