Writing Room/Office/Space

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
amyhg

Writing Room/Office/Space

Postby amyhg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 am

I couldn't find another discussion on this topic so hopefully I'm not rehashing a discussion.

About six weeks ago, my husband started working from home. We've done this before and already had a space allotted for a home office. However, over the last three years of him working out of the home, I kind of commandeered that office space for my writing. wotf004 Well, we tried to share the office and made it about a week. He gets aggravated with work and starts banging things around and swearing or I'm constantly interrupting him with ideas I want to bounce off of him. Long-story-short, definitely a no go. So, I moved my stuff into the nursery, but that will soon be occupied too. That leaves me with two options: 1. Move my stuff into the front room, which is right by the front door and has a balcony window overlooking it from the play room. I don't write during play time so that's not a big deal, but it is just less private. I much prefer a space that I can leave in chaos and just shut a door. 2. The master bedroom, which is beneath the kids' rooms and I really don't like working in the same space that I sleep--too easy to mix the two.

I use paper copies for editing so I have a big printer on my desk and usually lots of papers and a laptop and extra monitor for writing. And I love being surrounded by books and knickknacks for inspiration and reference. Not to mention there's usually some soda cans, paper plates, and glasses around... wotf017

Anyway, out of curiosity and out of the hope of getting ideas of new ways to conduct my writing space, what do y'all do? What are your favorite writing spaces? If you have an office, what do you keep in it? If it's not your ideal writing space, what is?
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)

disgruntledpeony

Re: Writing Room/Office/Space

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:57 am

I don't really have a good place to set up my own writing space right now, so I use noise cancelling headphones to help out with that. I know which room I *want* to use as my writing space, but It's presently full of some former roommates' junk. My husband and I are trying to get them to take it elsewhere, because our house is not a storage unit. wotf23
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am

I have a desk by the door in the living room of the apartment my wife and I are living in while I finish my Masters. She is also an artist, and her desk is bigger, so she got the tiny second bedroom for her office space. Because we don't have kids it works pretty well for me to use the living room as my "office," and when she wants to watch TV or something I can use noise cancelling headphones.

I also really like writing in coffee shops (a bit of a cliche, I know) but haven't been able to lately because my laptop's battery won't hold a charge for much longer than an hour anymore. A friend of mine uses one of these bad boys https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00T0ZG06O/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used. I'm thinking about getting one just to make portable first-draft writing a bit easier.

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

We've essentially only got two small rooms (bedroom and living room), and while I do have a desk of my own in the bedroom, I end up not using it much. I've been too traumatized by years of having to write and study in my bedroom as a student to feel comfortable going back to that. Instead, I usually end up working at the dining table in the living room--this room's brighter, warmer, and closer to the coffee. It's also usually louder, with noises from the washing machine, road, etc. For some reason, I don't work well in total silence, and really need some kind of neutral background noise. As for printing, when I need to edit drafts on paper, I just lug the printer in when I need it, and then put it away again afterwards.

Coffee shops work for me sometimes, too, but usually only if I have a very clear idea of what I want to do.
SF HM HM

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm

we have the desk computer in a spare bedroom with a nice computer desk and comfortable chair. I do most of my writing there, to here. But at times I also use the kitchen table and my laptop. This is more comfortable though. My wife needs the computer too at times for her crafts business, so we have worked out a time that is hers and mine. Plus she also has used my laptop for e-mail. Pictures are another matter since we don't upload-share-transfarre etc pictures to the laptop. And most of my stories and novels are on the main computers. But I do have a couple of stories on the laptop.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

KathiLS

Postby KathiLS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 am

Do you have a closet that you could commandeer a section of large enough for a desk or at least a table where you could leave your papers and things without having to tidy every day? I know, no one wants to write in a closet, but just your desk has to be in there. wotf011
~Kathi
Q3 V33 Finalist
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.
~Peter Pan

https://www.klschwengel.com

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:14 pm

I just assembled a desk today! (Worst Allen wrench I've ever worked with!) I now have my own writing space! Before this, I was relegated to the kitchen table or my husband's desktop, which I use for editing since it has three monitors. I have my desk tucked in a corner where I get lots of natural light, with the bird feeder outside the window so I can watch the birds bird while I'm searching for the right word. I have found that the best inspiration comes to me from looking out the window- there's a big closet upstairs I could probably commandeer but then I couldn't see outside. Good luck finding a space that works for you! FWIW I also like to edit in well-lit bars while nursing a drink, but I can't write that way. wotf001
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Q2, Vol34, R
Q3, Vol34, HM
Q4, Vol34, pending

www.rebeccaetreasure.com

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 pm

RSchibler wrote: I have my desk tucked in a corner where I get lots of natural light, with the bird feeder outside the window so I can watch the birds bird while I'm searching for the right word.

*cue music* A-well, a bird, bird, bird, well-a bird is a word... (wish they had a dancing emoticon)

Agreed on the view outside. My desk has to be facing or at least close to a window. For some reason thinking comes easier when I'm looking outside.
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Currently, I have a desk off the living room (large central living space). My wife is a CEO of a small company and travels a lot, so I end up monopolizing the area most of the time. When she's home and working, we tend to use the same space since we both tend to enjoy listening to instrumental music while we work.

The big thing for me is that I need to have a breeze (read: near a window or door), a single lamp, some good speakers and headphones, and a second monitor. I rarely work in print unless I've gone past an eighth or ninth draft or am working on a novel, so the printer sits in the other room and I print wirelessly if needed.

EDIT: I lied. I also need a view outside like most folks have mentioned. I live out on an old farm, so the vistas are quite stunning. Just staring out the back door for 10-15 minutes is usually enough to get me back to my desk.
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:3
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q2.v34)

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:EDIT: I lied. I also need a view outside like most folks have mentioned. I live out on an old farm, so the vistas are quite stunning. Just staring out the back door for 10-15 minutes is usually enough to get me back to my desk.

I am super envious! I work so much better when I can take brain breaks to look at nature. Right now I'm living in a dense suburb, which is a little rough. The dream is to move out to a slightly more rural school district once I have my teaching degree.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:I am super envious! I work so much better when I can take brain breaks to look at nature. Right now I'm living in a dense suburb, which is a little rough. The dream is to move out to a slightly more rural school district once I have my teaching degree.

It's totally worth the hours of mowing and ridiculous snow removal. Highly recommend! wotf011
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:3
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q2.v34)

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:02 pm

amyhg wrote:So, I moved my stuff into the nursery, but that will soon be occupied too.

I think we may have missed your most obvious point. You said that your nursery is about to be occupied. That said, you might as well put in all away for the next five years.

I have a reasonably sized house, but my kids’ have taken-over every inch. At best, I find time to write after they’ve gone to bed and my space is either at the kitchen table or in the bedroom (so my typing doesn’t wake them). ...Still, once I've bathed them, fed them, helped them with their homework, cleaned their laundry, done the dishes, put them to bed, and then had my own shower.... their aint an ounce of creativity left in me bones.

Wow, that really sounded pessimistic. ... ...uh, just pretend I was exaggerating and then hope for the best :)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Henckel wrote:
amyhg wrote:So, I moved my stuff into the nursery, but that will soon be occupied too.

I think we may have missed your most obvious point. You said that your nursery is about to be occupied. That said, you might as well put in all away for the next five years.

I have a reasonably sized house, but my kids’ have taken-over every inch. At best, I find time to write after they’ve gone to bed and my space is either at the kitchen table or in the bedroom (so my typing doesn’t wake them). ...Still, once I've bathed them, fed them, helped them with their homework, cleaned their laundry, done the dishes, put them to bed, and then had my own shower.... their aint an ounce of creativity left in me bones.

Wow, that really sounded pessimistic. ... ...uh, just pretend I was exaggerating and then hope for the best :)

I've managed to make writing work with an almost two year old and an almost five year old, three jobs, and a move across the Pacific Ocean. I write during naps, and after bed, and I have an iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard that makes my office mobile for the move although I now have the above mentioned space. Since I started writing in January I've finished the first draft of a novel, several short stories, and managed to keep my kids growing and thriving and all the other things life requires. I'm exhausted 100% of the time but it is also doable!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Q2, Vol34, R
Q3, Vol34, HM
Q4, Vol34, pending

www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 pm

you are an inspiration :)

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am

Time is more important to me than space. I find I write best in the morning and for a relatively small amount of time (45 minutes to an hour), so I write from 6 AM to 7 AM before going to work. My desk and computer is in my bedroom and no one is around to bother me at that time of day so it works out.

I used to try to write in the evenings and I would get less done in three or four hours than I do now in one, plus I can spend more time with the family at night which is ultimately more important that writing.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

historythatneverwas

Postby historythatneverwas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Since both my husband and I are writers, we don't really have writing spaces. We both just write in the living room. Though occasionally we bring out the headphones if one or the other of us is deep in concentration and want to avoid disturbances.

We do have a desk and chair in the spare room that was originally set up as an office for the hubbie. But it's not a comfortable desk or chair, so he doesn't use it. And then I use it to do Etsy photography instead of writing. :)
Dawn Vogel
Website History That Never Was

morganb

Postby morganb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm

What a great post, Amy. Always interesting to see how/where other authors brew their magic.

In our last house, I finished off the basement and built a writing office. I got to use it for about three months, then we moved. I miss it. Very sad.

The only time I get to write now is on my lunch hour at work. I tried getting up early to write before work; that was a big fat NOPE! I've also tried staying up late at night to write after the kids go to bed; another big fat NOPE! So lunch time is my magic hour. I'll either sneak away to the library, sneak away to Panera, or sneak away to Starbucks. Plus I've found that I'm most productive between the hours of 10 and 2 anyway, so it's about perfect. I do go into the office a little early though so I can extend my lunch hour to about 90 minutes without feeling too much guilt.

Write on,

Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”