What to do when the good guys just can’t win?

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
morganb

Re: What to do when the good guys just can’t win?

Postby morganb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 am

Sounds like you've done a fantastic job getting your heroes into big trouble! Nice job making things hard on them.

If some vital item or piece of information exists and they absolutely MUST have it to resolve the plot and send the story toward its conclusion, then you will simply have to devise a way for them to acquire it, whether on their own or by way of some "inside man" helping them out under the noses of the bad guys or some other way.

Probably not a whole lot of help, I know, but I wouldn't even dream of trying to tell you what needs to happen in your own story!

Write on.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 am

Iiiiiiiiiiiii'm pretty sure this is spam. A higher quality of spambot than we've gotten in the past, but spam nonetheless.

If you look at Williamhawk's posts, there is a recurring trend of him presenting a problem, asking for our help, saying 'I didn't find the right solution on the internet' (phrased the same way every time), and then providing a reference link that isn't set up to be actually clickable followed by a link to something completely unrelated.

So... yeah. Not a good thing.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

morganb

Postby morganb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Iiiiiiiiiiiii'm pretty sure this is spam. A higher quality of spambot than we've gotten in the past, but spam nonetheless.

If you look at Williamhawk's posts, there is a recurring trend of him presenting a problem, asking for our help, saying 'I didn't find the right solution on the internet' (phrased the same way every time), and then providing a reference link that isn't set up to be actually clickable followed by a link to something completely unrelated.

So... yeah. Not a good thing.

Well crap...and here I was thinking I could offer some helpful advice. I think I might have responded to a couple other of his posts today too.
Oh well, at least I'm getting my post counts up. lol

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm

One late occurring minor character might be referred to as a Tangential Character. Tangential Characters often occur in Dickens, but are little used elsewhere. They impart essential information, but are interested in their own goals, usually unrelated to MC goals. They can be information brokers, characters on quests of their own (paladins), Professors or Wise Fools.

Most recently, the Tangential Character is embodied by an old man who lost to the antagonist ages ago. Frank Miller used The Green Arrow as a Tangential Character in the last book of the Dark Knight Returns series from back in the eighties.

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”