Where do you get your inspiration?

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Chris533

Where do you get your inspiration?

Postby Chris533 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm

I saw this subject come up within another thread - on another subject and, a) I lost it, and b) figure it warrants it's own thread anyway.

So - when you're trying to come up with new stories - where do you get your ideas/inspiration?
HM Q2 2017

morganb

Re: Where do you get your inspiration?

Postby morganb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 am

Ahhh...the age-old question. It always seems to be different for everyone. But I think what it really all comes down to is keeping an open mind and an active curiosity, trying to see old things in new ways, paying attention to what's going on around you, and always asking yourself, "What if...?" I find that when I'm doing all this, stuff just sort of pops in and the light bulb begins to glow.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 pm

A lot of my story ideas have come from playing video games and wanting to take things a different direction than they did. Such as "What if Zelda was jealous that Link found the Master Sword?"
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 6. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

morganb

Postby morganb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 am

reigheena wrote:A lot of my story ideas have come from playing video games and wanting to take things a different direction than they did. Such as "What if Zelda was jealous that Link found the Master Sword?"

Ha ha! That's awesome! And gives me a good excuse to play more video games. "I'm doing research honey, really!"

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Hmm, everywhere? Pictures are a major inspiration. Other stories, even novel length ones. Sometimes an idea will just pop into my head. Usually when that happens it is one scene and I need to do what led up to that scene and what comes after, if anything. Rare times a dream. Rare also is sometimes a phrase I hear or read. Another rare one is titles and blurbs for published books. I see what I can do with the same basic idea.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:50 pm

I think you're going to find a lot of repetition in this thread. wotf001

Just to give you an idea, here are the seeds from my last five stories:

• A pink bottle of Mr. Bubbles
  • Storycubes
  • My childhood bedroom door that had what looked like a monster's face in its grain
  • 80s Hip-Hop culture
  • Tendai Monks of Japan that run A LOT over seven years.

We're writers! We should be able to find ideas anywhere.
V34-Q4: HM
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am

What is the most logical conclusion to a current trend? = Setting/milieu

What are the two most incongruous ideas (one SF and one character oriented) I can smash together to create the core problem of a story?

How will a character with certain traits react if she/he is forced into a situation where no choice has a positive outcome?

Humor: What is the most absurd conclusion to a current trend? = Setting/milieu

Humor: What is the funniest thing that can happen to this character in this situation at this time?

tparchie

Postby tparchie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:35 pm

This is different for everyone. Observation of the writing groups I've been to suggests that many depend on a prompt. Professional authors have themes they work to - this I guess will tie into their respective book deals. A prompt seems artificial and forced to me. Themes aren't hard, there are thousands of them just waiting to be explored. The exploration side is different; I have a number of different ways of dealing with the actual process, depending on whether I'm progressing a scene, resolving a plot discontinuity or sharpening up a character.
Those different ways can mean going for a walk, sleeping on it, listening to a relevant musical piece in the car or just plain writing out the ideas (paper or PC). Sometimes, all it takes is a measured discontinuity to the process of writing, to get things to click.
TP

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”