Filter words

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
MattDovey

Filter words

Postby MattDovey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Saw this excellent thread on Twitter earlier and thought I'd share here, because this is something I'm constantly working on, and it's had a huge impact on the quality of my work. If you can follow this then everything you write will, IMHO, have more impact, be more engaging, will grab your readers and pull them through.

I sometimes put it this way: I want to be so far inside the character's head that my feet are stomping around in their guts. That's when you get a sense of character and world that you can't help but be pulled in by.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

morganb

Re: Filter words

Postby morganb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for posting Matt. Filtering/distancing is something I became more aware of this year. Anna Yeatts over at FFO brought it to my attention via her online writing classes and critique comments. Apparently I was/am pretty bad about it, but have (hopefully) improved just by being more aware of it. Definitely something I've added to my checklist of things to watch for during my edits.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

MattDovey

Re: Filter words

Postby MattDovey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 am

Anna is an absolute marvel. You'll not go far wrong listening to her :D

I suspect this is a habit we all have to wean ourselves off. One of those things you only recognise subconsciously as a reader, and have to have pointed out to you as a writer. There's so many of those things!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”