Word Counts

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
jficke13

Word Counts

Postby jficke13 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 am

Quick question about word counts for submissions to non-WotF markets.

When using the Microsoft Word wordcount tool, do you highlight the body of the text, the title -> the body, the title -> the word END at the end?

Name About XXXX words
Address
Email
Etc

Title

Awesome words go here.

End

e.g., what parts of this goes into the count? I'm guessing Title -> last word before END, but would love it if someone knew for sure.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

amoskalik

Re: Word Counts

Postby amoskalik » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 am

I've always assumed it was the body only, but I do not think there is a universal rule that applies to all markets. Also, most markets do not need a level a precision that the extra words of the title, byline, address ,etc. would matter. Usually when such precision does matter, they will specify in their submission guidelines exactly what counts and what doesn't.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:37 am

jficke13 wrote:Quick question about word counts for submissions to non-WotF markets.

When using the Microsoft Word wordcount tool, do you highlight the body of the text, the title -> the body, the title -> the word END at the end?

Name About XXXX words
Address
Email
Etc

Title

Awesome words go here.

End

e.g., what parts of this goes into the count? I'm guessing Title -> last word before END, but would love it if someone knew for sure.

If you are using headers (and you should be), then it's not going to count your title, because your title is in the header. And you don't have to highlight anything, just click on word count. I am quite sure it's going to count The End as two words in that total, because it's in the body of text, and is not in a footer. Round to your nearest hundred--it looks amateurish to say 5761 words, instead say, about 5800 words. A few guidelines do say they want the exact total--flash markets are very concerned you stay under their max.

Under Title, I assume you have your byline and just neglected to enter it.

I can tell you've probably already read this sample mansucript format, so this is for posterity that will one day read our collected words of wisdom. wotf001

https://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

All the beast!

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm

I always go from the first word to the last word, without header or title, then work out how many # section breaks there are and subtract it, because I can't bring myself to be vague and approximate. But nearly every market just asks for "rounded to the nearest 100", so it doesn't really matter too much either way, I don't think.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”