Middle of the Night Writing

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
morganb

Middle of the Night Writing

Postby morganb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:45 am

I woke up last night around one in the morning and knew I wouldn't get back to sleep unless I got right up and wrote some stuff down. So I left the bedroom and turned on a lamp and spilled the contents of my brain out onto the pages of my notebook. Thirty minutes later I read over what I had written and thought to myself, "Wow that's good," and headed back to bed.

At one o'clock this afternoon I read over what I had written last night and now I'm thinking to myself, "Holy crap that's stupid." Maybe it's the darkness and the sleepiness playing tricks on my eyes that makes me think all my ideas are so wonderfully magical in the middle of the night. Then it's like the sun comes out and shines down on my ideas and makes them all shrivel up like smelly old driveway worms. I hate that.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R x 3
HM x 1

kentagions

Re: Middle of the Night Writing

Postby kentagions » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am

I have notebooks full of brain poop! I figure it's in there weighing down the good ideas, so I shovel it out as fast as I can.

Strange thing, though, some of the late night ideas have been judged good by trusted friends, so I keep them all. But I keep them in another room just in case there's a vibe/smell/miasma that might taint the good stuff.

Kent

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 am

I also have a laugh box.

Some nights I'm wrapped so tight that I feel my head might twist off and fly away. To prevent this, I write down jokes, memes and gifs that have made me laugh like an idiot and put them in a shoe box for future reference. Humorous stuff, whether mine or someone else's, helps me through those nights when ideas aren't coming, good or bad, which frustrates me most.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGTB8ESMCM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:35 am

I've definitely had this happen. Recently I woke up with a start and proceeded to use the Scribble feature on my watch to text myself the idea instead of getting out of bed (it's cold up here and I didn't want to wake my wife). The next morning, I read it and it was nothing but gibberish thoughts.

That said, some of my best ideas have happened this way, so I do find it's worth taking the time to do the brain dump and keep it handy. I just have to remember not to judge the writing itself, but to focus on the core ideas and/or meaning of what I wrote.

Half-asleep Mike is an incoherently verbose wreck.
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: R, Q1 v35
  • Pending, Q2 v35

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 am

I have so many notes in google keep of random ideas, characters, settings, what have you. Brandon Sanderson mentioned in one of the Writing Excuses episodes that he has a file on his computer called "Cool Stuff I have to Use" or something along those lines- my google keep is essentially that. When I need something, I scroll through and see what my 3am brain has come up with. Sometimes I go through and delete the zanier ones. I get a lot of good ideas in the shower, too, and end up chanting them to myself until I can dry off and record them. I've lost a lot of good ideas, too, thinking I'd remember in the morning, or later.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”