Can you recommend a writing teacher?

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Jason Parker

Can you recommend a writing teacher?

Postby Jason Parker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I like to take David Farland's classes, but they're all closed right now. I'm looking for a teacher who will look at my work or exercises and give me corrective feedback. Can you suggest a teacher?

morganb

Re: Can you recommend a writing teacher?

Postby morganb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 am

You can always join up with Critters online and get feedback on your stories. I've always received feedback from at least ten or a dozen different people and most of the information is pretty useful.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 am

Hi Jason,
You need to supply two important pieces of information.

1. At what level do you currently write? 10=Established author, 5=Unpublished and have attended a few workshops, 1=Enthusiastic, total noob.
2. Where do you want to go? Do you wish to support yourself completely with your craft or do you have a few stories you just have to write while pursuing another career?

At any time or level, consider one of the Clarion Workshops. Other than that, take any local workshop or class that deals with an aspect of writing you are currently unfamiliar with. (For example: I live in the Twin Cities and have taken four classes over the last three years: Publishing your short story, Magazine Feature Writing, Humor, Writing the Critical Scene. BTW, my undergrad degree is in fiction writing.)

When choosing local classes, make sure that a published author is teaching and that the teacher will review and critique a manuscript for you.

Read writing books. I recommend How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, Orson Scott Card, Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction, Damon Knight, Writing Deep Scenes: Plotting Your Story Through Action, Emotion, & Theme, Martha Alderson and Jordan Rosenfeld.

In the final analysis, Jason, you are your best teacher.
Best of luck
Kent

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:45 am

There are loads of free resources that might be worth checking out too. At least two semesters of Brandon Sanderson's BYU lectures are available on Youtube, which are pretty great.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks, guys.

jficke13, yeah, I love those lectures.

Kent, what level am I? 5 novels written and 500 rejections. Not sure if that's a level or just plain sad.

Morgan, I might try Critters again. I was a member back in college in '02.

Really, I'm looking for corrective feedback from a proven teacher. I saw my biggest leap in skill by taking David Farland's Writing Mastery 1 class and receiving his corrections on assignments. That's why I'm looking for something similar.

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”