Pandemic over???

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
Mr H

Pandemic over???

Postby Mr H » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Well, no, of course it's not.

However I remember David writing/mentioned as having said, that pandemic stories would not likely get picked last year (2020) due to the world being in the middle of one and people looking for an escape, not a repeat.

It's 2021. Is it ok to write such stories again? I mean, covid is likely to go on for years, hopefully in a reduced way of course, but you can't just ignore a genre that long??

(I do know you can write/submit anything you want, but I'm talking from judges perspectives and perhaps common decency.)

I'll add that there are 2 types of story I'm talking about. Death spores from Mars type pandemic and the everyone wearing masks today type. Bull on tv, for example has everyone wearing masks and is all up to date in its current season.
Lots of R
36 Q1 R
36 Q2 R
36 Q3 R
36 Q4 R
37 Q1 HM (happy dance may have occurred)
37 Q2 R
37 Q3 R
37 Q4 R
38 Q1 ? (Hmm... Let me guess.)

RSchibler

Re: Pandemic over???

Postby RSchibler » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:26 pm

The magazine I slush for, Apex Magazine, has a pandemic story in their forthcoming issue. There have been one or two I've read elsewhere. What makes them stand out is that they're not just pandemic stories. They take something that's weighing on all of us, and twist it or expand on it somehow, explore something that the pandemic has revealed about us, or might someday. If you're interested, the new issue of Apex will release this week. That being said, I've read a lot of pandemic stories in the slush pile and most of them feel like story-as-therapy. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but usually that is going to make it harder to find a broader audience. I'd say we're probably going to see pandemic stories more frequently in the coming year, especially if things get better and we can start to process and heal from 2020, but they won't be just pandemic stories.
V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: P

ALWAYS available for critique.

www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Mr H

Re: Pandemic over???

Postby Mr H » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 pm

Thanks. The world becomes my Petri dish once again.
Lots of R
36 Q1 R
36 Q2 R
36 Q3 R
36 Q4 R
37 Q1 HM (happy dance may have occurred)
37 Q2 R
37 Q3 R
37 Q4 R
38 Q1 ? (Hmm... Let me guess.)

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”