Winners Gallery!

General discussion on illustration, art, and the business of same.
Martin L. Shoemaker

Winners Gallery!

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Yes, hard as it is to believe, this is me -- Mr. Stick Figure -- posting a new topic in the artist forum.

I was just glancing through the contest web site today for other reasons, and I happened to notice this: a gallery of art by past winners!

How cool is that? In a contest which sometimes seems a little lopsided toward the writers, this is a reason for us writers to be jealous of you artists: they showcase your work right on the site itself now! Oh, sure, they list our names and stories, maybe interview some of us for the Herald; but a visitor to the site can immediately see how cool you guys are!

About time, I say...
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

soulmirror

Re: Winners Gallery!

Postby soulmirror » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm

You're right, it is a nice gallery!

About time, I say...

About two years behind though. wotf017

At the moment, volume 26 only has one illus. that comes up (though I don't remember a gallery having only one, so maybe it's a temporary glitch?)

Here, in the spirit of DIY Occupation wotf015 are a few of the illustrations from WOTF 27 available on Amazon.com (with the credits already there, except to add Brennan's writerly credit too):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OhQFf2%2BwL.jpg
Fred Jordan's illustration
for "An Acolyte of Black Spires" by Ryan Harvey

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BcqAXbWsL.jpg
Gold Award Illustration by Irvin Rodriguez,
for "The Truth, From a Lie of Convenience" story by Brennan Harvey

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61bEvoVduJL.jpg
Illustration from the story "This Peaceful State of War" by Patty Jansen /
Illustration by Scott Frederick Hargrave

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61MzPnoitWL.jpg
"Maddy Dune's First and Only Spelling Bee" Patrick O'Sullivan author,
Meghan Muriel illustrator

It'd be cool if every artist from every WOTF anthology put their illustrations up on Amazon.com

So ... You folks who will soon be in WOTF 28 ... bend an ear! wotf008

It's free self-promotion for us all AND it's gotta help sell our books!
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Happy to see now all of the illustrations from v. 26 come up now and look totally beautiful! (again, maybe that one night I'd followed your link and only one illustration would appear ... was just a glitch)

Eagerly awaiting v. 27 illustrations! wotf008

Scratching my head and wondering what stygian inter-dimensional wormhole sucked up and vanished Year 20's art though !?

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:05 pm

My guess is it just takes time to get this stuff up. The changes in the contest and the site are coming fast and furious, but even so, they need some time.

There are also two other factors I wonder about:

1. Maybe they don't want to post the most recent works, because they want people to buy the books for those.

2. Do they need to go back and negotiate with the artists for rights to these? I wouldn't know, but I assume you would. Does your contract as a winner give them reprint rights like this outside of the anthology? If not, then negotiating those rights would add time.

But those are both guess work. I'm just glad to see whatever galleries they can put up!
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

As far as I can tell, illustration and cover art contracts usually include clauses about using the image in advertising for the product that it appears in (from my market research, not from personal contract experience). And I think this would fall under that, so no new contracts would need to be signed.

Course, Scott can answer for sure.

ETE: And this gallery has existed for at least two years (found it when I first entered WotF). I'm surprised no one has pointed it out before. Thanks for making a thread for it, Martin!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Course, Scott can answer for sure.

Naw, Scott's pulling a total Rick Perry right now! wotf005

I think with IotF artists retain all rights to their work, we can use our own art fully but we give the contests the rights to use our entries and our story illustrations for anything promoting the contests or anthologies (?)

That's about as big hearted and fair as you can get imo, contract and freedom-wise, considering everything we get from it! But I assume they can use whatever we've submitted to help promote the future contest etc.

As for the contest not wanting to hurt sales of the books by showcasing recent illustrations ... the thought crossed my mind too, before I put up the first "customer image" illustration on Anthology 27's AMAZON.COM page.

But I thought "Well, illustrations will only help SELL our books!"
1) Because illustrations in books are RARE, so that's a unique selling point.
2) Seeing the art will help pull more Illustrators into IOTF (I only bought my first WOTF book and joined the contests because I thumbed thru it and SAW THE ART. I didn't even realize it was a CONTEST until I got it home)
3) Nobody will look at 500+ pages of STORY and then NOT buy it because they've seen 12 pages of art for free.
(Forgive me, but I'm more likely to read the story BECAUSE the illustration has hooked me!)

Anyway ... Yes, thanks for pointing out the ART GALLERY! We sometimes forget once we've been here a while that a newcomer can miss things that aren't immediately obvious.

Return to “Art & Illustration”