Duotrope Equivalent for Art?

General discussion on illustration, art, and the business of same.
Strycher

Duotrope Equivalent for Art?

Postby Strycher » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 am

Is there a website that does market listings for art? For instance, IGMS commissions original art and pays $400 for cover illustration and $200 for interior [I'm assuming that's a pro rate for art?]. What about other markets that take art? Reprints? Buy only preexisting art, or take commissions?

How do you artist people keep track of these stats?

s_c_baker

Re: Duotrope Equivalent for Art?

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:39 am

Note that I have the artistic ability of a dead rat tied to helicopter blades with sticks of dynamite inserted into its orifices, so am not speaking from experience, but here are a few likely candidates:

http://www.artistsmarketonline.com/ (seems to be put out by the same people who do Writers' Market--which means, of course, you'd have to cough up some dough)

http://www.pw.org/literary_magazines?ge ... ll&pay=All (Actually a poetry / fiction market list, but you can choose "graphic / illustrated" from the dropdown and maybe get an idea of which markets accept illustrations--although they only show literary journals.)

For that matter, almost all the online magazines I've seen list instructions for artists interested in submitting their work. You would probably do okay just duotroping markets which match the kind of stories you want to illustrate, and looking at their web pages to see if they accept unsolicited art samples.

I don't think most magazines will take reprints. Most of the ones I've seen lately seem to have an "artist pool" type of thing, where you can send a link to your gallery and they'll add it to their bookmarks, and browse around when they need art and get in touch with the artist they think fits for a commission.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

s_c_baker wrote:Note that I have the artistic ability of a dead rat tied to helicopter blades with sticks of dynamite inserted into its orifices, so am not speaking from experience, but here are a few likely candidates:

Thanks for that. I'd say my artistic ability rivals yours. (This was a friend's question.)

Vor

Postby Vor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 am

General listings can be found at CoroFlot, Behance and CG Hub. Concept Art. Org. also has a forum listing. Though these have a mix of both freelance and permanent job positions.

Keep in mind, a lot of jobs can be word of mouth.

IE. Artist is asked to freelance for a game company. Artist is already booked for a project, but puts the commissioner in contact with another artist.

s_c_baker wrote:For that matter, almost all the online magazines I've seen list instructions for artists interested in submitting their work. You would probably do okay just duotroping markets which match the kind of stories you want to illustrate, and looking at their web pages to see if they accept unsolicited art samples.

I don't think most magazines will take reprints. Most of the ones I've seen lately seem to have an "artist pool" type of thing, where you can send a link to your gallery and they'll add it to their bookmarks, and browse around when they need art and get in touch with the artist they think fits for a commission.

This is usually the case. Most artist send out work and get placed in a roster for future reference.
[WotF- Q1v29: - / Q2v29: - / Q3v29: -]
[IotF- Pro'ed out ]

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 am

addseo1115 wrote:looking at their web pages to see if they accept unsolicited art samples.
เล่น gclub ผ่านเว็บ

I've already alerted the powers that be, but where's that Gator anyway?
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 3 HM
Fiction (EN): 34 stories sold, 24 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:09 am

george nik. wrote:
addseo1115 wrote:looking at their web pages to see if they accept unsolicited art samples.
เล่น gclub ผ่านเว็บ

I've already alerted the powers that be, but where's that Gator anyway?

Don't laugh, but we were at the dentist. wotf002
We were there for our second post wisdom tooth extraction (plus bonus tongue-stabbing) check up. It seems we will live. Gators are made of tough stuff after all, even if you chomp our legs off we can handle it. Of course our jaws are extra important, hence all the check ups.

So with jaws once more cleared for action she says she's willing and able to deal with spammers again.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Return to “Art & Illustration”