Are anime style drawings acceptable?

General discussion on illustration, art, and the business of same.
kaminasama

Are anime style drawings acceptable?

Postby kaminasama » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am

Anime is a type of art that is used in Japanese cartoons. Is this style of artwork allowed in this contest?

Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Are anime style drawings acceptable?

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

Any style is allowed. Since you have to submit three pieces, a mix of styles is probably even better, since it shows range.

The more important question isn't your style, it's this: does your art tell a story? Portraits or landscapes don't do as well as action scenes where something is happening and the viewer really wants to know what happens next. You can certainly do that with anime.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:21 pm

I can recall a few recent illustrations that I'd call very 'manga' influenced, without being full-out (I'm not very informed on the nuances) ... I'd say they were manga-influenced but not as "cartoony" as most I've usually seen?

I'd echo Martin: show range and depth. Manga per se is rather stylized, rather codified, isn't it? There's a skill set to drawing BARBIEtm comics too, but ... I'd suggest the contest is looking for "illustration" more than "comics" in a broad sense. Do the rules say they don't want a page of comics art, i forget ...
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 am

soulmirror wrote:I can recall a few recent illustrations that I'd call very 'manga' influenced, without being full-out (I'm not very informed on the nuances) ... I'd say they were manga-influenced but not as "cartoony" as most I've usually seen?

I'd echo Martin: show range and depth. Manga per se is rather stylized, rather codified, isn't it? There's a skill set to drawing BARBIEtm comics too, but ... I'd suggest the contest is looking for "illustration" more than "comics" in a broad sense. Do the rules say they don't want a page of comics art, i forget ...

Brad's "Exanastasis" had a very manga-esque illustration. One of the best in the book (#26), as I recall.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:18 am

kaminasama wrote:Anime is a type of art that is used in Japanese cartoons. Is this style of artwork allowed in this contest?

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/past-winners-galleries

There's a useful gallery of some of the past contest winners. There are definitely anime-inspired winners, although I don't think there are any that stick strictly to the tones, proportions, and styles used by (most) contemporary manga and anime. (It's worth noting in passing that "manga" only means "comic" and "anime" only means "cartoon." There's as much variation in illustrated stories published inside Japan as there is in the differences between Marvel, Dark Horse, and uh... whoever else it is that publishes comics here in the US.)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Return to “Art & Illustration”