Mythology, Anyone?

A catch-all topic for movies, books, television, and other SF & F conversation.
VinSev

Mythology, Anyone?

Postby VinSev » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:30 pm

So I'm a complete mythology nut. I love creation myths and gods of all cultures, I love digging through old stories and wondering how they came about, and I love imagining what those gods would be up to today. What does it look like to be an ancient river god in the twenty-first century? Probably not all that fun.

Anyway, I love mythology (if you couldn't tell that already), and I wanted to see if anyone else around here is similarly inclined. My writing is heavily influenced by mythology. I've been doing research all morning trying to find information on an specific and very obscure South American jaguar god. There are lots of South American jaguar gods, and I think there's nothing quite as satisfying as finding a search result (finally) with the name of the god you're looking for. Also there's nothing as disappointing as clicking on the link and finding that your particular god is only mentioned in two sentences.

*Sigh*

How about you guys? Do you have a favorite pantheon? Greek gods, Aztec gods, Indian gods? The Norse gods and their myths are my personal favorites, and consequently in order to enjoy Marvel movies I have to grit my teeth and remind myself that the comics just weren't written to be accurate.

-Vin
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

disgruntledpeony

Re: Mythology, Anyone?

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Some of my personal favorite mythos are from Native American tribes. I'm especially fond of pretty much any story that has to do with Coyote, in all of his various interpretations.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM

RSchibler

Re: Mythology, Anyone?

Postby RSchibler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 am

I have written two stories inspired by Welsh mythology :)
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

Return to “Science Fiction & Fantasy”