Selling my books to the Millions.

A catch-all topic for movies, books, television, and other SF & F conversation.
lordofwater

Selling my books to the Millions.

Postby lordofwater » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:56 am

Hi Guys;

I have recently published my first fantasy fiction on Kindle and am currently doing the final edit on my Proof for the hard copy being published on the creatspace.com platform.

I love writing and am in the middle on Volume II that will be a three volume series. My Character is called Lord of Water. Definitely the best new fantasy fiction of the millennium.

But how now do I get my book out there for the millions for find without the marketing budget necessary to achieve this type of cover to the world market.

I have already been setting up my online presence with Web Site, Word Press/Buddy Press community site and writing with keyword content for the organic searched in Google and other free search engines.

I would love to hear any ideas on how to get your book out there and in front of the millions, but without the Million $ Budget.

Love to hear all of you ideas and great suggestion.

Warmly, Emilio Waters wotf011

http://www.lordofwater.com

ThomasKCarpenter

Re: Selling my books to the Millions.

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:05 am

It's difficult for the indie author to compete with the big publishers in the short run. In the long run, however, we can do just fine. The key is to keep putting up more product and make sure the quality of it meets your readers expectations. Along the way, it's good to make a webpage, send out review requests, and so on, but the real key is to keep writing.

The first few books, unless you're really lucky, won't make much of a splash beyond your friends and family, but as you start getting 10+ products (novels, shorts, novellas, collections, etc.) out, it'll start to make a difference. And then again at 30+ and 50+ and etc.

Feel glad that the best way to promote yourself is to do the things that you love to do in the first place. wotf008
Last edited by ThomasKCarpenter on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:59 am

The most important tool for the indie publisher is, ironically, quantity. You need to let go of this first novel, and immediately get to work on the second, and then the third, and then the fourth. Nobody becomes a runaway hit with only one title. The self-published success stories all have a common theme, which is that readers discovered one book and then liked it enough to investigate all the author's other work.

So don't stress if you only sell a few copies of the first book. It'll sell better once people discover your ninth, and start catching up on your back catalog.

Or, of course, you could spend as much on a PR campaign as the major publishers do, which by no means guarantees any sales, but that just seems wasteful to me...
wotf001

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 am

To back up Thomas and Kyle, here are some excerpts from The Big Hurry:

...before two years ago, beginning writers knew that getting into publishing was going to be a long and hard road through the head-shaking methods of traditional publishing. Most writers who started down that road didn’t make it. And many who did make that first or even second sale quit shortly after, often because the process didn’t get easier, but actually harder.

But writers need to understand some time factors involved in this business. Especially if the writer hopes to make a living with his fiction on either the indie or traditional road (or both roads). And understanding the time factors involved will allow a writer to keep writing and attempt to be patient and maybe make it to that tenth novel or beyond.

And it drives me nuts when a writer who has sold a hundred copies of a novel in a month on Kindle alone thinks that’s bad. Stop comparing yourself to other writers and just do the long-term math on your own sales. Those other writers who sold more aren’t writing, but promoting anyway, and will be gone shortly. You can beat them by simply keeping writing and producing more product and becoming a better storyteller.

Remember, indie writers function on long-term sales. Books don’t spoil.

So stop being in such a hurry and focus on writing great stories. If you do that and just keep going, the money will come.

And when it does, it will surprise you because all you have been caring about is the writing.

Don't worry about selling to the millions. Sell to the tens. Then the hundreds. Then the thousands. And the millions will take care of themselves. And you do that through some simple rules:

1. Write more.

2. Write better.

3. Write lots.

4. Get your writing in front of customers (editors or readers).

5. Repeat.

Not simple to do, but simple to understand.

And be wary: anyone who promises you a short cut or a simple answer is probably trying to take your money. The most reliable get-rich-quick scheme in the world is selling get-rich-quick schemes.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:03 am

Well, one way is to post on every writing website and forum you come across.

But you already knew that... wotf010
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Well, one way is to post on every writing website and forum you come across.

But you already knew that... wotf010

I think you have to be careful with that. If you're not a member of the community, it'll just be seen as spam and ignored. And even if you are a member of the community, it could still be seen as spam if you push it too much. Like Annie has mentioned here before, I post things up on these forums not to sell to fellow writers, but just proof that it can be done if you're willing to put in the time.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:37 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
I think you have to be careful with that. If you're not a member of the community, it'll just be seen as spam and ignored. And even if you are a member of the community, it could still be seen as spam if you push it too much. Like Annie has mentioned here before, I post things up on these forums not to sell to fellow writers, but just proof that it can be done if you're willing to put in the time.

Ditto.

And there's certain terminology you want to avoid in such posts. Here's a critique of your current pitch:

The author stating that his or her first novel is "the best new fantasy fiction of the millennium" does not inspire confidence. For one, everyone loves their work, and because of that everyone has a hard time seeing their work objectively--some more so than others. Failing to present your novel in a modest way is a red flag. I expect enthusiasm, but not arrogance.

Another issue I have is with the line about your character. It kind of implies that either your novel only has one character, or that you only think the one character is important.

Also, I'm not sure if you were exaggerating, but most novels don't have million+ dollar marketing budgets. And no first novels get anywhere near that. This makes me wonder how knowledgable you are about the industry--including industry standards of quality.

I also visited your website--not all of the links work (at least, they didn't for me). Most people prefer a website be complete, or that it be clearly stated it is a work-in-progress, before it goes live. Right now it just looks like a lot of your site is broken.

Hopefully this will help you refine your promotional activities. Good luck!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 am

I was totally being sarcastic.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 am

Dustin Adams wrote:I was totally being sarcastic.

I had my suspicions. wotf011
~Marina

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 am

Of course, I also had my suspicions that this was a fly-by spamming and that any advice we offered up would probably be wasted...
~Marina

kyle

Postby kyle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 am

I wouldn't say "wasted." There are plenty of other people wondering similar things, who will take the time to read the advice instead of wondering why the only copy of their game-changing novel that sold was to their mother...

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:24 am

kyle wrote:... instead of wondering why the only copy of their game-changing novel that sold was to their mother ...

Hey -- If I could get a credit card issued in our dog's name, I'd already be at the top of best-sellers lists across the USA by now!!! wotf011

'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:35 pm

kyle wrote:I wouldn't say "wasted." There are plenty of other people wondering similar things, who will take the time to read the advice instead of wondering why the only copy of their game-changing novel that sold was to their mother...

Ah, very true. Way to go glass half-full!
~Marina

wellsdesigned

Postby wellsdesigned » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:03 pm

So no one has an answer for selling books to the millions? Dang, and I was hoping to call in sick to work, permanently.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 pm

wellsdesigned wrote:So no one has an answer for selling books to the millions? Dang, and I was hoping to call in sick to work, permanently.

I suggest buying The Mother Anthony.

I mean, using subliminal messages.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I actually have the answer and you may thank me later.

Step 1: Write millions of books
Step 2: Put them up for sale as ebooks
Step 3: Profit!

(I'm fairly sure that if a) you could write millions of books that b)you could probably sell at least one copy each so c)you would sell millions of books)

There. I fixed it. Go home now and write. wotf011

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm

You know...

Strictly speaking, he didn't say he wanted to sell millions of books. He just said he wanted to sell his books to the millions. I think that's figurative/extended use, isn't it? wotf001
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 am

Mistress of the Swampy Waters challenges the opening poster to post again to prove to us that he remains here among us splendid ones, digesting our free advice.

Else we shall assume he is nothing but a plate of spam, spam, eggs and ham.

And I eat spam. wotf007

Case (and jaws) closed.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:40 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:Mistress of the Swampy Waters challenges the opening poster to post again to prove to us that he remains here among us splendid ones, digesting our free advice.

Else we shall assume he is nothing but a plate of spam, spam, eggs and ham.

And I eat spam. wotf007

Case (and jaws) closed.

Elinor,

Assume spam. Dustin's comment implies that the same message has been posted to lots of lists. This isn't a person interested in the contest; this is some person who thinks he or she has found a way to do a marketing blitz.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat these words. (They have ink-jet printers now that will print frosting onto a cake, so this boast isn't as impressive as it used to be...)

NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:If I'm wrong, I'll eat these words. (They have ink-jet printers now that will print frosting onto a cake, so this boast isn't as impressive as it used to be...)

I have got to get me one of those.

"Dear thesis committee,

Please find included in his cakebox the final version of my thesis. It may not be expertly-written, but I trust you will find it is delicious. I look forward to receiving a passing grade from you in the near future.

Sincerely,"

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:If I'm wrong, I'll eat these words. (They have ink-jet printers now that will print frosting onto a cake, so this boast isn't as impressive as it used to be...)

"Dear thesis committee,

Please find included in his cakebox the final version of my thesis. It may not be expertly-written, but I trust you will find it is delicious. I look forward to receiving a passing grade from you in the near future.

Sincerely,"

That'll be either a very short thesis or a very long cake!

NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:

"Dear thesis committee,

Sincerely,"

That'll be either a very short thesis or a very long cake!

I'm sure the frosting can handle 2pt fon(dan)t. I mean, it's not like they have to READ it.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
wellsdesigned wrote:So no one has an answer for selling books to the millions? Dang, and I was hoping to call in sick to work, permanently.

I suggest buying The Mother Anthony.

I mean, using subliminal messages.

Heh! I missed that. Subliminal indeed! (And thanks for the plug!)

Me, I'm pretty much the polar opposite of subliminal. You might even call me bombastic.

NNiNN

kyle

Postby kyle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 pm

s_c_baker wrote:I'm sure the frosting can handle 2pt fon(dan)t. I mean, it's not like they have to READ it.

I think that one actually hurt...

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:23 am

I have some flash fiction that might fit on a cake. I wonder if that would count as published?

I wonder, will I have used up my first printing rights if I bake some cake-editions? wotf040
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Bard Constantine

Postby Bard Constantine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I have to say that for something that started off as a meal that featured something that looked suspiciously like an overcooked spam sandwich, I enjoyed all the encouraging responses. I just entered my finished novel in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest, but am aware that the odds are rather gloomy, especially for a sci fi novel. I'm seriously considering taking the independent route with it, especially since I have a few sequels in mind. If I can develop a following, who knows? The publishing market is changing rapidly, and readers have more options to choose from, especially in the expanding e-readership. It's good to know that some of us have already experience some success there.

tlsmithphx

Postby tlsmithphx » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Everything you just read, x10.

I recently entered the world of marketing my work, when my novelette came out on Feb 3rd. (The Thing Down the Road, by T.L. Smith, available through Musa Publishing)

I did a lot of conferences to learn the basics, and network with other writers. I found a mentor, and paid attention. She pointed me to an e-publisher for a novelette I thought was ready to see the world again, after a bunch of rejections. Goes to show, they LOVED it. Now it's out there, and the next rule applies. Even with the biggest agencies and budgets, you got to market yourself.

My mentor pointed me to Vista Printing, with the advice to grab all the free stuff you can (they got lots). Sure you might buy a few things, and pay shipping, but I got a big box of postcards, business cards, banners, cups, pens, stickers, magnets. My mentor leaves a card on the tip tray when at restaurants, has them available whenever the topic comes up, and does all the cons possible. The rule is to keep an eye out for the big "Freebies" days and grab all you can.

Reviewers are important. They have followers. Have to send copies to reviewers, get set up with cons that lean towards the e-readers, and still keep hanging at the cons, meeting other successful writers and learning their tricks.

A side payoff of doing all this ... I was accepted today by my mentor's agent, whom I ran into at another con (there's a bizarre story in there which helped her remember me). So now I have to REALLY up the marketing, AND the writing.

That's what I'm doing...

Return to “Science Fiction & Fantasy”