The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

A catch-all topic for movies, books, television, and other SF & F conversation.
Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Strycher » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Like any good writing monkey, I thought I'd check out the HUNGER GAMES since it's super popular right now and I read several reviews that praised its plot.

The first book, HUNGER GAMES, is available in paperback. The second book CATCHING FIRE and the third book MOCKINGJAY are only available in hardback.

Paperback editions where released and about a month ago they where available at Wal-Mart. I found today that now only the hardbacks are sold at B&N. And Wal-Mart. And BooksaMillion.com. And Scholastic.com.

If I want to read the HUNGER GAMES trilogy, I will have to order it from the UK, or pay a lot of extra cash here for the hardcovers.

And this is where I say: Publishers are lame.

So, now I'm going to a buy some paperbacks second hand from Amazon. It's too bad, since you know, I was going to give the publisher and the brick and mortar bookstore my money.

Am I too cynical?

User avatar
kyle
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Fresno, CA
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby kyle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 pm

You know, your local library may be able to help you out.

User avatar
izanobu
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby izanobu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Nah. Though I read them all on my Kindle. :)

I tried to buy the extended Return of the King recently. Both places near me that sell dvds were out of copies. One said they could order it for me and it would take a couple weeks. The other said they had more copies coming in and it would be there in about 5-7 days.

So I went to Amazon. And ordered it for dollars less than the stores were selling it (I'd been willing to pay a little more to have it *right now*) and it arrived the next day (was supposed to be free 2 day shipping, but I got my order in early in the morning).

So maybe I'm jaded, too. I was willing to support my local stores right up to the point they couldn't give me what I want. wotf008

Sai
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Sai » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 am

If I want to read the HUNGER GAMES trilogy, I will have to order it from the UK, or pay a lot of extra cash here for the hardcovers.


This seems like the definition of a 'first world problem.'
'Absolute Visions,' featuring my story 'The Machine that Loved Alan Turing,' on sale now

Q1- Submitted // Q2-Submitted // Q3-Planning stages

Grayson Morris
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 am

Sai wrote:
If I want to read the HUNGER GAMES trilogy, I will have to order it from the UK, or pay a lot of extra cash here for the hardcovers.


This seems like the definition of a 'first world problem.'

Indeed. I think the proper attitude toward first-world problems is humble gratitude that they're the kind we're having (which doesn't negate our right to see them as problems).
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Strycher » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 am

Sai wrote:This seems like the definition of a 'first world problem.'


I was mostly just irritated that although paperback copies are available the publisher has pulled the copies from retailer shelves in an effort to force people to buy the hard cover because they know with a movie coming out the demand will be high.

I think that behaving with this prickish attitude in various business practices is a major factor in why the publishing industry is losing stability. And why Amazon will probably win. Publishers complain about loss of profit while simultaneously providing poor customer service.

I was not trying to sound whiny, but I thought it was relevant writers and thought I'd see if anyone else had an opinion.

In fairness, Sai, every single post on these threads that has even a modicum of complaint to them is unequivocally first-world problems. I'm assuming you have never lamented a missed submission, a delayed response from an editor, nor expressed concern that you may or may not have what it takes to achieve your writing goals.

The entire concept of writing and publishing is a luxury and thereby any discussion on these subjects is lavish. Not sure how my post is different from any other post about publishing's industry standards.

Grayson Morris
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 am

Strycher wrote:In fairness, Sai, every single post on these threads that has even a modicum of complaint to them is unequivocally first-world problems. I'm assuming you have never lamented a missed submission, a delayed response from an editor, nor expressed concern that you may or may not have what it takes to achieve your writing goals.

The entire concept of writing and publishing is a luxury and thereby any discussion on these subjects is lavish. Not sure how my post is different from any other post about publishing's industry standards.

Well said.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Sai
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Sai » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 am

Strycher wrote:
Sai wrote:This seems like the definition of a 'first world problem.'


I was mostly just irritated that although paperback copies are available the publisher has pulled the copies from retailer shelves in an effort to force people to buy the hard cover because they know with a movie coming out the demand will be high.

I think that behaving with this prickish attitude in various business practices is a major factor in why the publishing industry is losing stability. And why Amazon will probably win. Publishers complain about loss of profit while simultaneously providing poor customer service.

I was not trying to sound whiny, but I thought it was relevant writers and thought I'd see if anyone else had an opinion.

In fairness, Sai, every single post on these threads that has even a modicum of complaint to them is unequivocally first-world problems. I'm assuming you have never lamented a missed submission, a delayed response from an editor, nor expressed concern that you may or may not have what it takes to achieve your writing goals.

The entire concept of writing and publishing is a luxury and thereby any discussion on these subjects is lavish. Not sure how my post is different from any other post about publishing's industry standards.


Yeah, you're right about the pulling the paperbacks off the shelves in order to make extra bucks off the hardcovers is a dickish move and not very good business practice (after all, the end result in your case was that you took your business elsewhere). I've never ran into that problem personally but I would probably let a manager know that I wasn't pleased with how they did business.

And you're right, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (who the hell would want to live in a glass house anyway? You could never just lounge around naked). Sure I've complained about trivial shit. Though I disagree with you about writing being a luxury (publishing maybe ;) ) but that's another topic (that could make for an interesting thread perhaps). Discussing the failure of brick and mortar stores to make themselves an appealing option to customers is an interesting topic, and I'll try not to derail the thread anymore from that.
'Absolute Visions,' featuring my story 'The Machine that Loved Alan Turing,' on sale now

Q1- Submitted // Q2-Submitted // Q3-Planning stages

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Strycher » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 am

I wrote the publisher. Asking to speak to a manger while you have a two-year old in tow, when you're literally going to every store that sells novels in town, is an excellent way to get Gatorade in your hair and tiny Batmobile tracks on your face. wotf017

ETA: Clarity.
Last edited by Strycher on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sai
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Sai » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

Strycher wrote:I wrote the publisher. Asking to speak to a manger with a two-year old in tow when you're literally going to every store that sells novels in town is an excellent way to get Gatorade in your hair and tiny Batmobile tracks on your face. wotf017


Geez, the book store managers in your town sound crazy. wotf011
'Absolute Visions,' featuring my story 'The Machine that Loved Alan Turing,' on sale now

Q1- Submitted // Q2-Submitted // Q3-Planning stages

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Strycher » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am

It's true, my whole community is really a day care.

User avatar
soulmirror
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:34 am
Location: USA

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby soulmirror » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Ha! Us and our 'First world problem' ... back in the day, if you were in the USSR you probably didn't dare write anything beyond 'speculative' about how great the workers' utopia would be ('Even more perfect than today!') ... and you'd have to assume that a waylaid submission was late because it was still making the rounds thru the KGB / secret thought police.

And among the Khmer Rouge horrors, even to reveal that you COULD read and write betrayed that you were 'infected by intellectualism' and it was the re-education camps for you (if lucky) ... or a nameless mass grave (if not).

Preach on! In big parts of the world, "hunger" is no "game" etc ...
Image
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby gower21 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Glad I got them all on Kindle before the big movie hababaloo. I think you could lend them out for one time. I traded them with a friend who let me read one of the Amanda Hocking trilogies in exchange.

Library is good, so is a used book store...but I never remember those things when I want a book now. And our nice "local bookstore" never will carry anything popular. It's like that episode of Portlandia where the two hippy ladies in the feminist bookstore won't let a college student get a book because it doesn't really preach the feminist best practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk-Ey01c9k

That clip pretty much sums up my local book seller experience. I'd LOVE to support a local business, so hopefully some day one will be able to survive in our area.

Jess
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 am
Location: OpenOffice/Scrivener

Re: The Hunger Games Series Paperback/Publishers Are Lame

Postby Jess » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

gower21 wrote:Glad I got them all on Kindle before the big movie hababaloo. I think you could lend them out for one time. I traded them with a friend who let me read one of the Amanda Hocking trilogies in exchange.

Library is good, so is a used book store...but I never remember those things when I want a book now. And our nice "local bookstore" never will carry anything popular. It's like that episode of Portlandia where the two hippy ladies in the feminist bookstore won't let a college student get a book because it doesn't really preach the feminist best practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk-Ey01c9k

That clip pretty much sums up my local book seller experience. I'd LOVE to support a local business, so hopefully some day one will be able to survive in our area.

Well, at least they have 'Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying.'
Oh dear. I need a signature.
And an avatar.
And probably other things I don't even know about.

I feel naked.


Return to “Science Fiction & Fantasy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest