Clarkesworld Jaunary 2012 stats

A catch-all topic for movies, books, television, and other SF & F conversation.

Clarkesworld Jaunary 2012 stats

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I just found this interesting posting:

http://clarkesworld.livejournal.com/179488.html

Maybe it is already old news.
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.
Patrick S. McGinnity

Re: Clarkesworld Jaunary 2012 stats

Postby Strycher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

That was interesting. I'm a little disturbed about a database containing information from all authors who've submitted since 2008. Editors are supposed to forget my undesirable stories after they send my form reject. I liked the idea that they only remember authors/stories when they are awesome. wotf012
Strycher

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Strycher wrote:That was interesting. I'm a little disturbed about a database containing information from all authors who've submitted since 2008. Editors are supposed to forget my undesirable stories after they send my form reject. I liked the idea that they only remember authors/stories when they are awesome. wotf012

Simple solution: only write awesome stories!
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN
Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Strycher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
Strycher wrote:That was interesting. I'm a little disturbed about a database containing information from all authors who've submitted since 2008. Editors are supposed to forget my undesirable stories after they send my form reject. I liked the idea that they only remember authors/stories when they are awesome. wotf012

Simple solution: only write awesome stories!

wotf019 I try! But, you know how it is. If you're learning about craft at a decent rate, the things you wrote last year/decade/lifetime, just aren't as shiny as they seemed when you first finished them.
Strycher

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm

So, that means I have a better chance of getting accepted if my name was Michelle? -_-;
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)
WriteToLive

Postby Strycher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

WriteToLive wrote:So, that means I have a better chance of getting accepted if my name was Michelle? -_-;

Publish with your first initials if you really think there's a gender bias.

Maybe, just maybe, they buy the best stories, and the gender statistics are merely incidental. Because the reality is that . . .

Clarkesworld in the comments wrote:Near-miss stories account for just a bit below 5% of all submissions since September 2008. 43% of them have gone to women.

. . . 57% of the top 5% of stories are written by people with male-gendered bylines.
Strycher

Postby morshana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Strycher wrote:
WriteToLive wrote:So, that means I have a better chance of getting accepted if my name was Michelle? -_-;

Publish with your first initials if you really think there's a gender bias.

Maybe, just maybe, they buy the best stories, and the gender statistics are merely incidental. Because the reality is that . . .

Clarkesworld in the comments wrote:Near-miss stories account for just a bit below 5% of all submissions since September 2008. 43% of them have gone to women.

. . . 57% of the top 5% of stories are written by people with male-gendered bylines.

And if we want to look at published (winning) stories for V27 of WOTF...women comprised 12% of those stories.
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist
morshana

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm

I was poking fun at the fact they have only accepted stories from women, not implying a gender bias.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)
WriteToLive

Postby morshana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

WriteToLive wrote:I was poking fun at the fact they have only accepted stories from women, not implying a gender bias.

=) Yeah. I thought it was pretty funny, too. At first, though, I thought it was for the entire YEAR. I felt a little better when I realized it was only for the month of January. Still, that's a lot of submissions for one month!
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist
morshana

Postby Strycher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:52 am

morshana wrote:Still, that's a lot of submissions for one month!

I was expecting it to be more. wotf017
Strycher

Postby wellsdesigned » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 am

At 600 to 800 submissions in a month for Clarksworld, it makes the 1000 submissions a quarter for WOTF seem a bit low since that number accumulated in a three month submission period. Of course Clarksworld submissions aren't limited to new authors only, so that opens them up to a more per month. Still, its humbling to see how many stories yours has to compete with.
wellsdesigned

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:55 am

wellsdesigned wrote:Still, its humbling to see how many stories yours has to compete with.

Especially considering only 24 slots per YEAR are open to the slush pile. (The other 12 stories are solicited.) But hey -- that's DOUBLE what CW was accepting a year ago!

(edited to correct 8 to 12; for some reason, when talking Clarkesworld (and only when talking Clarkesworld), my brain defaults to 8 months in a year. Sigh.)
Last edited by Grayson Morris on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none
Grayson Morris

Postby george nik. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 am

Grayson Morris wrote:
wellsdesigned wrote:Still, its humbling to see how many stories yours has to compete with.

Especially considering only 24 slots per YEAR are open to the slush pile. (The other 8 stories are solicited.) But hey -- that's DOUBLE what CW was accepting a year ago!

Two stories a month out of c.700 makes it about a 1 in 350 chance - which is about the same as winning WOTF.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 3 HM
Fiction (EN): 32 stories sold, 23 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 am

george nik. wrote:Two stories a month out of c.700 makes it about a 1 in 350 chance - which is about the same as winning WOTF.

I try to focus on this aspect of that bit of math: there are a whole lot of awesome stories that HAVE to be rejected. My story could well be one of them. Rejection doesn't mean a story's bad.

(Though that hasn't prevented my wearing devil-horns and gnashing grumble-teeth and feeling like I. M. A. Lousie Riter since Lightspeed and CW both rejected my most recent submission. Sigh.)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none
Grayson Morris

Postby Strycher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 am

george nik. wrote:Two stories a month out of c.700 makes it about a 1 in 350 chance - which is about the same as winning WOTF.

At least you can submit to Clarkesworld with a much greater frequency.
Strycher

Postby george nik. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Strycher wrote:

At least you can submit to Clarkesworld with a much greater frequency.

Yes, thankfully you can; so I'm going to pass all my stories through Clarkesworld first.

On the other hand, that's one of the things that make WOTF so special.
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I respectfully submit the following...

In a lottery, your odds are 1 / N, where N is the number of entries.

In this contest -- and in a market -- your odds are a function of your awesome: your skill, your practice, your passion, your creativity, your knowledge, and your study. They are NOT 1 / N.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN
Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Good point, Martin. If everyone wrote an equally competent and compelling story and followed the guidelines to the letter, it might get a tiny bit closer to pure mathematical odds, but as any slush reader will tell you, a hefty chunk of any slush pile is from folks who clearly have no idea what the magazine or contest is looking for (including word limits, genre, subject matter, etc.).

So right off the bat you can probably cut a given pile in thirds and toss out the bottom third for such reasons. And you haven't even gotten to actual formatting yet, let alone the ability to stack words into a sentence that won't collapse under its own ponderous and ill-distributed weight. In my really rough math, that eliminates at least another 3rd of the pile.

Assuming you were not in one of the two mass purgings, you're really only competing against the rest of the folks who are serious enough about what they are doing to do their homework (that's what guidelines are for, not to mention reading the magazines you want to be in) and really work at their craft. Then, when all other things are more or less equal, it might just come down to who has the better story to tell. Or story length. Or the specific subject matter. Or the tone. Not that it is ever that simple.
Patrick S. McGinnity

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby george nik. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I respectfully submit the following...

In a lottery, your odds are 1 / N, where N is the number of entries.

In this contest -- and in a market -- your odds are a function of your awesome: your skill, your practice, your passion, your creativity, your knowledge, and your study. They are NOT 1 / N.

Well, Martin, you certainly have a point there, but it's not the whole story.
Your odds are a function of a) your awesome, b) all the other contestants awesome, c) the editors' general likes & dislikes with a reference to your theme/style/etc.
We can assume that (c) is random and unpredictable (OK, if you've done research and you know the editors' likes and dislikes you have an advantage, but for simplicity's sake I'll include this in your awsome)--let's call it R and (a) is a constant (you improve in time, but at a particular moment in time we could call it a constant)--let's call it A. (b), however, is a direct function of how many people contest (theoretically it may happen that one contest might attract much better writers than another one, but let's say that the actual worth of writers submitting to top contests/markets is roughly equal), so we could say that it is C (another constant) over N (the number of contestants per winning spot - i.e. 50 contestants for 1 winner = 200 contestants for 4 winners).
So, oversimplifying, you can say that your odds are R*A*C / N. So all in all, it is a function of 1 / N.

This was my actual point, anyway. I don't really mean that everyone has a 1 / N chances to win WOTF or be published in Clarkesworld, rather that the chances of succeeding in either are roughly equal.
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby Strycher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote:So right off the bat you can probably cut a given pile in thirds and toss out the bottom third for such reasons. And you haven't even gotten to actual formatting yet, let alone the ability to stack words into a sentence that won't collapse under its own ponderous and ill-distributed weight. In my really rough math, that eliminates at least another 3rd of the pile.

So only you're only up against 266 competent entries per month?

That doesn't make me feel better.
Strycher

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 am

Strycher wrote:So only you're only up against 266 competent entries per month?

That doesn't make me feel better.

Ha, ha! Yeah, I know. But as they say, every little bit helps. Imagine if all 1000 were just as skilled, talented and careful as we are. Sheesh!

By the way, your crit. is coming soon. I have a couple things to knock out today (like reapplying for my job) and then I'll get it finished and back to you. Thanks for your thoughts on mine!
Patrick S. McGinnity

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Strycher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:01 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote: I have a couple things to knock out today (like reapplying for my job) and then I'll get it finished and back to you.

Ba! You need to learn to prioritize what's most important. Do you REALLY need a job? Do I have plenty of time to review your crit before the deadline?

Think about it. wotf016

[/sarcasm]
Strycher

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:53 am

Strycher wrote:Ba! You need to learn to prioritize what's most important. Do you REALLY need a job? Do I have plenty of time to review your crit before the deadline?

Think about it. wotf016

[/sarcasm]

Don't tempt me!

This semester is the first where it is really getting hard for me to discern whether my writing is interfering with my job or if it is the other way around. If I think too hard on it, I might just haul the family off to our retreat in the woods and Laura Ingalls Wilder it for a year or two. Oh wait, I need at least a reliable source of electricity first--unless I can devise a stationary bike that will run a laptop (then I'd be the skinniest writer ever).
Patrick S. McGinnity

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby dantzel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote: Oh wait, I need at least a reliable source of electricity first--unless I can devise a stationary bike that will run a laptop (then I'd be the skinniest writer ever).

HA! That would be AWESOME. Let me know if you ever invent that.

Thanks for posting this - it was kind of fun for me because I am included in these stats!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com
dantzel

Return to Science Fiction & Fantasy