How *NOT* to Handle Rejection

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Randy Hulshizer

How *NOT* to Handle Rejection

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am

Some of you know that a few friends and I started a little magazine (http://empyreome.com) recently. Things have been great, but our site has already been attacked numerous times. About a month ago, someone broke in and injected malicious code into some pages. I was able to detect the attack early, fix the code, and put additional security measures in place to reduce risk in the future. Things have been quiet since then. Until today...

Today, someone launched a combined DOS (denial-of-service)/SQL Injection attack against the site. Fortunately, I was able to thwart the attack(s). Also, I was able (rather easily, I might add) to track down the perpetrator. I was quite shocked to find that it was an author who had submitted a story a few weeks ago and had received a rejection from us this morning.

It goes without saying, but this is not the way to handle rejection. I am now considering legal action against this individual. In addition, I will be emailing every magazine that I know about to alert them to the threat this individual poses. I think this person, however desperate they were to get published, has now sealed their own fate.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

J'nae Rae

Re: How *NOT* to Handle Rejection

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am

wotf015

That is extreme!! And since what they did is illegal, do pursue legal action. Glad you were able to fix it.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Wow. That's crazy. wotf015 Also, incredibly unprofessional.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

I occasionally hear about something like that and am always astonished. Maybe there should be something like the Darwin awards, for writers who remove themselves from the 'gene pool' of writers through their own stupidity.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:46 am

Goodness. I mean, I've heard of plenty of authors arguing with rejections, or claiming guidelines don't apply to them, or just being insulting; I've even heard of an author threatening legal action against a magazine for not accepting them (how I'd love to know what grounds they'd predicate that upon); but attempting to hack the site and drag it down? My goodness.

On the bright side, hurrah that you're already so prestigious that authors get this upset over not being included...?

(Also, I'd publicly name and shame on Twitter etc. if I were you. Stuff the crazy fool!)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”