Markets for Awkward Word Counts

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
VinSev

Markets for Awkward Word Counts

Postby VinSev » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 am

Alright, so my HM for quarter 3 is a little less than 15k. Does anyone know of markets besides this contest that might be looking for something of that length? So far I haven't had luck finding anything. Most anthologies/literary magazines accept 7,500 words at the most, but even that seems rare. Occasionally I'll see a 10k, but that's still not long enough.

My story is in the awkward space where it's too long to be a proper short story by normal standards, but it's also not quite long enough to be a novella (which I think would be 20k words at least). There's really not much adjusting to the word count I could do without ruining the story.

I passionate about this piece, and don't want to simply let it sit in my hard drive. I'd like to try and get it out there. Maybe I'll submit it to the contest again at some point, but I want to write and submit fresh stories for a while first.

I would not be at all surprised if other people have run into this problem in the past, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice? Can anyone think of a market for a 15k piece of speculative fiction? I appreciate any help you can give!

-Vin
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

KD Julicher

Re: Markets for Awkward Word Counts

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am

Welcome to my world :p there's a reason not many of my stories have seen print.

You can check on The Submission Grinder but you're right, it's awkward. F&SF will consider them, I believe. A few other markets. But it's pretty rough
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 pm

F&SF
Clarkesworld
IGMS
Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores
Beneath Ceaseless Skies (if it's secondary world fantasy)
Deep Magic (if it fits their "clean SF/F" guideline)
GigaNotoSaurus
Heroic Fantasy Quarterly (if fantasy; they consider serializing things up to 50k)

...as you can probably tell, I used to write a lot of stories at that length. So I've thought a lot about this question.
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 10xHM

"Subtle Ways Each Time" in Escape Pod.
"The Palace of the Silver Dragon" in Strange Horizons.

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Thank you so much for that list, it's incredibly helpful! I'm so relived to hear that there are indeed markets out there for that word count. wotf053

It's a comfortable length for me, so I'm very happy that there are publications that accept these stories. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
-Stephen King

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 am

Okay, I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this, but I'm giving it a shot.

For IGMS, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and GigaNotoSaurus, they specifically say that they accept stories from people of all races, genders, orientations, etc. Clarkesworld does not specify if they do or not.

I am inclined to mention that I am non-binary (specifically agender) in my cover letter, because I have an agender character in my story, and they say to include any personal information that relates directly to the story. But I also don't want to slam any doors on myself because of my unorthodox gender. I'm not worried about the others, but what do you guys think about F&SF and Clarkesworld? Do you think I would be doing more harm than good, or the reverse?

Thanks for putting up with all of my questions, by the way.

-Vin (who is trying not to be nervous)
-Stephen King

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:20 pm

I don't think self-identifying will hurt you in any way at either of those markets, doubly so when it has relevancy to the story like yours does. they might not have the same inclusive language that Fireside, BCS and crew have, but they're still putting out some pretty progressive stuff.

as for whether it'll help, that's a lot harder to say. I'd think in the current climate it might give you a tiny, tiny nudge in the right direction for that story—maybe the sort of thing that helps you out if your piece ends up on the maybe pile? at the very least, it'll tell the first reader right off the bat that you have experiential knowledge of some of the stuff you're writing about, which is always a good place to start.

hope that helps!
2017: Q4: SHM - The Tin Man, Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I haven't read much of F&SF so I couldn't specifically say, but Clarkesworld doesn't give me any impression at all that anything but the quality of the story matters. The best advice I've been given/read about cover letters is to keep them short, but if the market asks for personal information that directly relates to the story, it seems right to mention it.

Also keep a look out for Kickstarter type projects. This was a couple of years ago, but specific to stories about marginalised children, for example: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... inalized-c

I can't find the link, but there was an anthology (with pro pay) a year or two ago comprised of people who don't identify as male or female.

Regular markets often have themed issues. The latest Uncanny is "Disabled People Destroy Fiction": https://uncannymagazine.com. Lightspeed have had a "People of Colour Destroy Fiction". I haven't checked word counts on these two, but it gives a suggestion of what's out there. :)
R, R (FP), ?

gregoryhuber

Postby gregoryhuber » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 am

Thanks for sharing the list. Hope to read all of it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Visit the website to know how to read more

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”