Analog Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
LDWriter2

Re: Analog Submissions

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I was just thinking , I should send Analog something but hey I already did better check on that one.

But I could always send another story.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Checked last night mine is still being looked at. I sent it in June one I believe. So are they slowing down again? Seemed like they increased their response time a bit. Or am have I gotten my time sense mixed up?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:14 am

LDWriter2 wrote:Checked last night mine is still being looked at. I sent it in June one I believe. So are they slowing down again? Seemed like they increased their response time a bit. Or am have I gotten my time sense mixed up?

They had a burst of speed in July, cutting the queue down by almost two months in one month. But since August 2, nothing on Duotrope. The major conventions just got done, so I hope that gave Trevor some new energy.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:24 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:Checked last night mine is still being looked at. I sent it in June one I believe. So are they slowing down again? Seemed like they increased their response time a bit. Or am have I gotten my time sense mixed up?

They had a burst of speed in July, cutting the queue down by almost two months in one month. But since August 2, nothing on Duotrope. The major conventions just got done, so I hope that gave Trevor some new energy.

Well, if he went to WorldCon that would slow him down like David with WotF.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

preston

Postby preston » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 am

April 2nd, and still waiting....

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:55 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:

Well, if he went to WorldCon that would slow him down like David with WotF.

Not to be contradictory, but Dave told us he was reading during WorldCon. I can't speak for Trevor, but Dell is going through some big transitions, and Trevor is filling some big shoes with Stan gone. And iirc, Trevor is reading all the stories himself, which is a huge job given the size of the slush pile right now. Give them time.

And in case anyone is wondering, the Grinder is showing three personal rejections from August 9/10, though of course this is an incomplete data set on the best of days.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 pm

austinDm wrote:Not to be contradictory, but Dave told us he was reading during WorldCon. I can't speak for Trevor, but Dell is going through some big transitions, and Trevor is filling some big shoes with Stan gone. And iirc, Trevor is reading all the stories himself, which is a huge job given the size of the slush pile right now. Give them time.

Someone -- might've been Stan, might've been Marianne, might've been Toni, the week blurs together -- said Trevor is trying to unlearn habits, too. Under Stan, Stan would skim out the few readable pieces. Most held his attention for a page or less. Then Stan would go back and read the remainder, and choose the ones worth considering. And THEN he would hand them to Trevor for feedback, and Trevor would read them carefully and analyze.

Well, now Trevor's in Stan's place, and he's still learning to skim faster and more ruthlessly. He's still reading too far into stories if he wants to keep up. Intellectually, he knew Stan skimmed (heck, WE know that); but he doesn't yet have the skimming habit nailed down. He'll get there.

(Trevor himself said nothing to me on the subject when we spoke. What, do I look crazy? I'm not going to waste my few precious minutes of time with an editor by complaining about how he's doing his job!)

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 pm

austinDm wrote:Not to be contradictory, but Dave told us he was reading during WorldCon. I can't speak for Trevor, but Dell is going through some big transitions, and Trevor is filling some big shoes with Stan gone. And iirc, Trevor is reading all the stories himself, which is a huge job given the size of the slush pile right now. Give them time.

Someone -- might've been Stan, might've been Marianne, might've been Toni, the week blurs together -- said Trevor is trying to unlearn habits, too. Under Stan, Stan would skim out the few readable pieces. Most held his attention for a page or less. Then Stan would go back and read the remainder, and choose the ones worth considering. And THEN he would hand them to Trevor for feedback, and Trevor would read them carefully and analyze.

Well, now Trevor's in Stan's place, and he's still learning to skim faster and more ruthlessly. He's still reading too far into stories if he wants to keep up. Intellectually, he knew Stan skimmed (heck, WE know that); but he doesn't yet have the skimming habit nailed down. He'll get there.

(Trevor himself said nothing to me on the subject when we spoke. What, do I look crazy? I'm not going to waste my few precious minutes of time with an editor by complaining about how he's doing his job!)

I don't think any of us are helping him either. After Brad T. noted that he regularly submitted a new story to Analog every 30 days, I started doing the same. Now I have 4 stories in the queue. Otherwise, Analog would only see one or two stories from me a year, which means statistically, I might sell a story to them once or twice in my lifetime.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 pm

hazlett wrote:I don't think any of us are helping him either. After Brad T. noted that he regularly submitted a new story to Analog every 30 days, I started doing the same. Now I have 4 stories in the queue. Otherwise, Analog would only see one or two stories from me a year, which means statistically, I might sell a story to them once or twice in my lifetime.

And let me make this ABSOLUTELY CLEAR for any doubters: Sheila Williams went out of her way to point out that Asimov's has NO rule against multiple submissions. Absolutely none. She and Gardner even joked about one guy during Gardner's tenure who submitted 10 to 12 stories a month; and after 2 years, Gardner finally bought one. As he told Sheila: "To this day, I don't know if the guy got better, or he just wore me down!"

(NOTE: Given that, I still think one a month sounds like a good top speed...)

NNiNN

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:58 pm

hazlett wrote:I don't think any of us are helping him either. After Brad T. noted that he regularly submitted a new story to Analog every 30 days, I started doing the same. Now I have 4 stories in the queue. Otherwise, Analog would only see one or two stories from me a year, which means statistically, I might sell a story to them once or twice in my lifetime.

And let me make this ABSOLUTELY CLEAR for any doubters: Sheila Williams went out of her way to point out that Asimov's has NO rule against multiple submissions. Absolutely none. She and Gardner even joked about one guy during Gardner's tenure who submitted 10 to 12 stories a month; and after 2 years, Gardner finally bought one. As he told Sheila: "To this day, I don't know if the guy got better, or he just wore me down!"

Plus, a goal like that will keep you producing consistently, which is never a bad thing.

Gardner had some other interesting slush pile stories...

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:55 pm

When did she say that? I was at that panel when she & Gardner were discussing the relationship b/w editors & writers but I don't recall that. Seems like the thing that would set off fireworks in my head. Duotrope says no to multiple submissions, but their guidelines on closer reading don't forbid it.
HM x 6

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Jeffrey wrote:When did she say that? I was at that panel when she & Gardner were discussing the relationship b/w editors & writers but I don't recall that. Seems like the thing that would set off fireworks in my head. Duotrope says no to multiple submissions, but their guidelines on closer reading don't forbid it.

The same panel, I'm pretty sure. Tina? Austin? Marina? Anyone else remember this? Or am I delusional?

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm

I had no idea about Asimov's. I've only recently dipped my toe in the water and started submitting 1 a month there as well. I'm not actually producing stories that fast, but when you wait for 60-90 days to receive a response, you tend to build up a fairly sizable backlog.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 pm

That would be hard but at the same time it seems like most pro editors developed that ability. How long it took most probably depended on the person. I don't recall anyone ever saying how long it took for them.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:And let me make this ABSOLUTELY CLEAR for any doubters: Sheila Williams went out of her way to point out that Asimov's has NO rule against multiple submissions. Absolutely none. She and Gardner even joked about one guy during Gardner's tenure who submitted 10 to 12 stories a month; and after 2 years, Gardner finally bought one. As he told Sheila: "To this day, I don't know if the guy got better, or he just wore me down!"

Sounds like it could almost be me but wasn't for two reasons. I never quite reached that level even though for a long while I was sending in stories every two weeks. And he never bought a story from me. But if I knew 10 to 12 per month would wear him down I would have tried. wotf007

I need to get on the ball and send a couple more.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 pm

austinDm wrote:
Not to be contradictory, but Dave told us he was reading during WorldCon. I can't speak for Trevor, but Dell is going through some big transitions, and Trevor is filling some big shoes with Stan gone. And iirc, Trevor is reading all the stories himself, which is a huge job given the size of the slush pile right now. Give them time.

And in case anyone is wondering, the Grinder is showing three personal rejections from August 9/10, though of course this is an incomplete data set on the best of days.

I knew that but at the same time being at WorldCon probably slowed down his reading a lot. Or so I would think. But being an experienced pro he might be able to read at the same stories per day speed anywhere.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:54 am

Jeffrey wrote:When did she say that? I was at that panel when she & Gardner were discussing the relationship b/w editors & writers but I don't recall that. Seems like the thing that would set off fireworks in my head. Duotrope says no to multiple submissions, but their guidelines on closer reading don't forbid it.

The same panel, I'm pretty sure. Tina? Austin? Marina? Anyone else remember this? Or am I delusional?

I remember this too, and I thought it was at the author/editor panel, so if you're delusional, so am I.

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 am

austinDm wrote:

I remember this too, and I thought it was at the author/editor panel, so if you're delusional, so am I.

Roger that. Woo-hoo!
HM x 6

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 am

austinDm wrote:

Maybe you're all my delusion, and Jeffrey's the only other real person here. The convention is already taking on a dream-like quality for me! wotf013

NNiNN

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 am

Yep, she did say that--but also expressed that they don't like to publicize the fact. So, everybody, this info doesn't leave this very private Internet forum, got it?
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I've got to admit I only just very recently realized it was ok to multiple submit to both Asimov's and Analog. Not sure why I didn't quite realize before, probably partly because I didn't have enough stories that I felt the need to multiple submit, so didn't read the rules carefully enough.

Then I suddenly got a few more stories so sent two to Asimov's. Yay! wotf006

Though now I'm going through a slow patch again. I have only one at Asimov's at 31 days and two at Analog at 81 and 36. As you can see if I'm going to submit every 30 days I need two more right now but I don't have even one finished. Bah! Bah! wotf027
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 pm

MJNL wrote:Yep, she did say that--but also expressed that they don't like to publicize the fact. So, everybody, this info doesn't leave this very private Internet forum, got it?

Actually, you're a few years late. Well, kinda of. The idea that all Pro markets really took multiple submissions, no matter what they said, has been expressed by pro writers for years. In fact Dean Wesley Smith has said go ahead and send a story every couple of weeks--in the beginning, unless you're an exceptional writer, the editors probably won't recall your name anyway. If you are exceptional or get better they won't mind all that much.

Of course some of the newer Online markets seem to be more strict about it but the older pro markets still seem to be okay with it.

Oh, come to think of it I may not have that many stories I could send to Analog or Asimov's after all. Half a dozen--maybe. I need to write more SF.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:16 pm

While I don't actually know what's happening at Analog, it certainly seems like a bit of a mess.

Stan gave up the reins a year ago - response times have ballooned out, and very few rejections/acceptances are being recorded at the grinder.

I haven't subbed there in almost a year, and I have no plans to until it settles down.

Steve
Last edited by klaatu on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 pm

MJNL wrote:Yep, she did say that--but also expressed that they don't like to publicize the fact. So, everybody, this info doesn't leave this very private Internet forum, got it?

Hehe. Hear that, Lurkers! Keep silent. Only share with those who know the secret handshake.

PS: I heard it, too.

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Trevor says he's up to reviewing June 2013, so he is slowly catching up.
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Trevor says he's up to reviewing June 2013, so he is slowly catching up.

Ummm...

(Quick check of Duotrope...)

I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign on this end...

07/04/2013...
06/04/2013...
05/19/2013...
04/28/2013...

NNiNN

preston

Postby preston » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Trevor says he's up to reviewing June 2013, so he is slowly catching up.

Ummm...

07/04/2013...
06/04/2013...
05/19/2013...
04/28/2013...

Me either, considering my story was sent on 4-2-2013 and is still showing status "Received".
Maybe it's time to query?

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 pm

preston wrote:

Ummm...

07/04/2013...
06/04/2013...
05/19/2013...
04/28/2013...

Me either, considering my story was sent on 4-2-2013 and is still showing status "Received".
Maybe it's time to query?

Always a tough call. I tend not to query until my story seems out of step with other reports. Brad's note notwithstanding, I don't think I'm ready to query yet.

NNiNN

CalmSand

Postby CalmSand » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I submitted early April, and I still have 'received' as my progress description as well. There have been no responses reported on duotrope since August 2nd. The youngest submission was apparently sent to the magazine on April 10th, but I remember that coming through the grinder in May or early June-- it was a fluke.
If he says he's up to June, he must be slush reading but not sending out the news.

I can't think of a reason to do that.

Well... I can, but I usually think the worst of every situation.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 pm

CalmSand wrote:I submitted early April, and I still have 'received' as my progress description as well. There have been no responses reported on duotrope since August 2nd. The youngest submission was apparently sent to the magazine on April 10th, but I remember that coming through the grinder in May or early June-- it was a fluke.
If he says he's up to June, he must be slush reading but not sending out the news.

I can't think of a reason to do that.

Well... I can, but I usually think the worst of every situation.

Here's the process at Analog as I understand it.

1. Trevor downloads a batch of stories to his reader. He does this infrequently, by no means daily.

2. Trevor skims the stories into piles: Buy This, Consider This, Respond to This, and Reject This. (This is where the hold up is: he's doing too much reading, not enough skimming.) He skims mostly in chronological order, but names he knows will jump to the front of the queue.

3. Trevor sends the Reject This batch back to Emily (his assistant), along with any Respond to This and Buy This that he has finish. These come in a batch, again infrequently. Emily sends out the responses in a flurry, usually over a week or two.

4. Trevor revisits the Respond to This and Consider This and Buy This, making detailed notes. These usually go out in the next batch.

There are no times associated with these steps, and there's no way to know for sure where your story is in the process. There's no "worst case" to worry about, the slush just piles up at several points along the way.

We're writers. Imagining explanations is what we do. But sometimes the explanation is as simple as "They're overloaded."

NNiNN

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”