Analog Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
CalmSand

Re: Analog Submissions

Postby CalmSand » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 am

Ah, thanks for that. I was tying myself in knots. This waiting drives me completely crazy. I write to keep myself occupied, but it has the unfortunate side effect of overstimulating my imagination.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am

CalmSand wrote:Ah, thanks for that. I was tying myself in knots. This waiting drives me completely crazy. I write to keep myself occupied, but it has the unfortunate side effect of overstimulating my imagination.

Turn that imagination into more stories. It's the only therapy we have. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about my stories there every single day, but I'm trying to learn coping mechanisms. The best coping mechanism for me is writing the next story.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
CalmSand wrote:Ah, thanks for that. I was tying myself in knots. This waiting drives me completely crazy. I write to keep myself occupied, but it has the unfortunate side effect of overstimulating my imagination.

Turn that imagination into more stories. It's the only therapy we have. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about my stories there every single day, but I'm trying to learn coping mechanisms. The best coping mechanism for me is writing the next story.

The way I think about it is that my story sits in a bin for 5 months, then someone reads the first page and rejects it. If there were a "pending rejection" option on Duotrope, I would check it for every one of my stories. The only time I ever think there is a chance is if there are a flurry of rejections for stories that have been submitted after mine (I currently have stories at Escape Pod, Apex, and LORE that fit this profile, and probably jinxed myself by even mentioning them here). I also feel more optimistic at places where I've come close in the past (i.e., LORE) and expect rejection from places where I've never gotten any personalized feedback (i.e., Analog and Asimov's).
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Just came by to say that my latest was rejected--no surprise--but they never sent me an E-mail. I had to go check on their web site.

Are they still sending out rejections? Or maybe mine will show up Monday and I checked right after the change the status of my story.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:47 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Just came by to say that my latest was rejected--no surprise--but they never sent me an E-mail. I had to go check on their web site.

Are they still sending out rejections? Or maybe mine will show up Monday and I checked right after the change the status of my story.

I did receive an email with my latest rejection.

Trevor was on vacation this past week. It's possible that has added a kink in email responses, since usually he sends his responses to assistants and then they do the final work of emailing or mailing them out.

NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Could be Martin

Wonder if that is why I haven't received my Auto note that says they received my story.

The same goes for Asimov's.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Didn't receive your auto note? Hmmm, I would say check your spam filters. I ALWAYS get those from the Dell magazines.

NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:03 pm

I checked and nothing.

I may have mistyped my E-mail address--twice--even though I looked at each time afterwards I finished. But then again the Asimov one should have been correct. Still that is the only thing I can think of. Unless their computer is down.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Rats and worse, I must have mistyped my E-mail address and was too blind to see it--twice.

I guess I can try E-mailing them.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:15 pm

FWIW, I'm at 58 days for my Analog submission. Of course, I'm 99% sure they'll reject it (it's a post apocalyptic with nothing to really peg it as SF except for the post apocalyptic setting). I would have withdrawn it, but was worried that it might come across worse than just leaving it.

Not that I have a clue where would be a better place to submit it though wotf001

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I currently have 5 in the queue right now. The oldest submission is at 138 days and the newest is at 19.

Based on Duotrope, it looks like Analog did a first pass over submissions from professional authors (You can tell from the ubiquity of personal rejections and acceptances. Analog reviews those submissions before all others, apparently), but the magazine doesn't appear to have done one for the plebeians in several months.

LDWriter2, how many days was your story waiting at Analog before the magazine rejected it?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 am

I've now got 3. But the latest rumors I've heard is that multiple submitting like this is a bad idea, so now I don't know what to think. wotf017
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:I've now got 3. But the latest rumors I've heard is that multiple submitting like this is a bad idea, so now I don't know what to think. wotf017

I think it depends on the market & how far you space them out. At Analog's current rate you'd only be able to submit 1, possibly 2, stories a year--which just seems ridiculous given their publication schedule (every 2 months). I think if you space them out enough to be considered for each issue that would be reasonable. Plus, I couldn't find on Analog's submission page where they explicitly say no multiple submissions. Some markets state "do not send us another one until you hear back about the first one."

Where'd you hear this strategy was no good?
HM x 6

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Jeffrey wrote:

If we told you that I'd have to eat you. wotf040

Now now Gator, behave yourself.

sarasvati

Postby sarasvati » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm

I was coming in here to see if Analog had gotten any better re: response but I guess not. Oh well, might revisit them again next year. wotf005

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:I've now got 3. But the latest rumors I've heard is that multiple submitting like this is a bad idea, so now I don't know what to think. wotf017

I think it depends on the market & how far you space them out. At Analog's current rate you'd only be able to submit 1, possibly 2, stories a year--which just seems ridiculous given their publication schedule (every 2 months). I think if you space them out enough to be considered for each issue that would be reasonable. Plus, I couldn't find on Analog's submission page where they explicitly say no multiple submissions. Some markets state "do not send us another one until you hear back about the first one."

I think Jeffrey's logic is good here. I space them all about 30 days apart. Plus, somewhere on this site, Brad Torgersen said that Stanley Schmidt, the prior editor, was fine with it so long as they were spaced a month or so apart.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:58 pm

hazlett wrote:
LDWriter2, how many days was your story waiting at Analog before the magazine rejected it?

Actually I'm not sure. I never received an E-mail rejection so I had to check the status of my story but I sent it in in Jan or Feb I will double check and would have been rejected this month,

But speaking of no e-mail Hmm that makes three now. I wonder if my old E-mail address is stuck in their system even though I use the new one every time I send in a new story. Gotta to E-mail them.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

If we told you that I'd have to eat you. wotf040

Now now Gator, behave yourself.

That's Ok, Gator, I'll take the heat. We're a community here, we share lessons learned and advice received.

She heard it from me, the same guy who has been so quick to share Brad's advice, and to follow it.

And I, in turn, heard it from Mike Resnick. He very strongly urged me: just because you CAN submit more than one doesn't mean you SHOULD submit more than one. Just because it works for Brad doesn't mean it will work for you. Every writers different. Mike advised me of this when I asked him about submitting my Aldrin Express prequel to Analog. He said yes, send it to Trevor first, but NOT until my queue clears.

I truly like and respect Brad. He's like a little brother I never knew I had.

I truly like and respect Mike. He's like an uncle I never knew I had. He's also funny, he has more experience in this business than I have years on this planet, and he's generous and supportive toward new authors. Plus I'm grateful that he has bought two of my stories for Galaxy's Edge.

Which of these two men whom I respect should you listen to? I can't decide that for you. It's your career, you have to decide.

In my case, for this one story, I'm treading a middle ground. I sent Trevor email, telling him I had a prequel and asking him if he wanted in his queue, or if he was overloaded. I'll let him make that call.

And in the meantime, I'll patiently wait. And WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 pm

As we said, the waters are mighty muddy, fine and swampy. But I'm always happy snappy to take the heat. Sun worshiping crocodilian here! wotf006

You heard it straight from the jaws of the Gator.

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:
hazlett wrote:

Actually I'm not sure. I never received an E-mail rejection so I had to check the status of my story but I sent it in in Jan or Feb I will double check and would have been rejected this month,

Am I tracking this correctly? Are you saying it took eight to nine months for a rejection?

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:And I, in turn, heard it from Mike Resnick. He very strongly urged me: just because you CAN submit more than one doesn't mean you SHOULD submit more than one. Just because it works for Brad doesn't mean it will work for you. Every writers different. Mike advised me of this when I asked him about submitting my Aldrin Express prequel to Analog. He said yes, send it to Trevor first, but NOT until my queue clears.

Hmmm ... *drums fingers on tabletop*. I'm inclined to trust Mr. Resnick for all the reasons you stated Martin. Out of curiosity, did he give any reason as to why this specifically is a bad idea (spacing them far enough apart of course)?
HM x 6

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm

TomKnighton wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:
hazlett wrote:

Am I tracking this correctly? Are you saying it took eight to nine months for a rejection?

My first submission there took almost 11 months to get my rejection. In their que for nearly 230 days. And it wasn't even a personal.

I think there are several strategies to this. One, you have to decide what order and where you'll submit based on several factors. How many stories do you produce in a month? What markets does your writing most fit?

For those of you who are really good at writing Analog style stories, I'd think that would be one of your top markets to target and writing only one story a year for them would take a very long time to break into the magazine. That's when using the Brad strategy might work well. If you've already sold some stories to them, then you'd start saving only your absolute best to them. If you're not even an Analog type writer, and you write those types of stories infrequently then it might not make as much sense to try to put a story in the que every 30-40 days...as it might mean you're putting a crumby story in every so often just to meet the quota. Unless you rock.

Whatever your plan of attack is, it will need to fit your writing speed and style.

ETA

On Resnick's advice: He generally has good advice and a reason for it and sometimes it's tailored to individuals. The reason he gave Martin I believe is going to fit Martin's situation specifically. It might not be one size fits all advice. It might also work for others. Best thing to do when you come across advice is to see how well it fits into your own path, speed, skill level, and goals. All of those will determine if it's good advice for YOU.

The best thing about this board is having everyone come on and share their experience, trials, and mistrials. This helps us all make better, informed decisions.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:And I, in turn, heard it from Mike Resnick. He very strongly urged me: just because you CAN submit more than one doesn't mean you SHOULD submit more than one. Just because it works for Brad doesn't mean it will work for you. Every writers different. Mike advised me of this when I asked him about submitting my Aldrin Express prequel to Analog. He said yes, send it to Trevor first, but NOT until my queue clears.

Hmmm ... *drums fingers on tabletop*. I'm inclined to trust Mr. Resnick for all the reasons you stated Martin. Out of curiosity, did he give any reason as to why this specifically is a bad idea (spacing them far enough apart of course)?

He didn't say specifically. I assume it was about spreading out to more markets, and also about not overloading Trevor's already overloaded queue.

NNiNN

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Gower21, thanks for the perspective, you summed it up well.

And Martin, thanks for sharing your experiences and passing along advice. It's all very insightful and I appreciate it.
HM x 6

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:39 pm

gower21 wrote:On Resnick's advice: He generally has good advice and a reason for it and sometimes it's tailored to individuals. The reason he gave Martin I believe is going to fit Martin's situation specifically. It might not be one size fits all advice. It might also work for others. Best thing to do when you come across advice is to see how well it fits into your own path, speed, skill level, and goals. All of those will determine if it's good advice for YOU.

Yes. All advice is situational. Consider the source, consider your situation, and try it if it feels right. Think about how you will test the advice. Write for the long haul, and try different ideas to find what works for you.

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Gower21, thanks for the perspective, you summed it up well.

And Martin, thanks for sharing your experiences and passing along advice. It's all very insightful and I appreciate it.

You're very welcome Jeffrey! And of course take even my awesome, amazing, wonderful, well-thought-out advice with a grain of salt.

Isn't being a writer fun!?

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:08 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
gower21 wrote:On Resnick's advice: He generally has good advice and a reason for it and sometimes it's tailored to individuals. The reason he gave Martin I believe is going to fit Martin's situation specifically. It might not be one size fits all advice. It might also work for others. Best thing to do when you come across advice is to see how well it fits into your own path, speed, skill level, and goals. All of those will determine if it's good advice for YOU.

Yes. All advice is situational. Consider the source, consider your situation, and try it if it feels right. Think about how you will test the advice. Write for the long haul, and try different ideas to find what works for you.

I second this. Well said, Tina.

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:59 am

gower21 wrote:My first submission there took almost 11 months to get my rejection. In their que for nearly 230 days. And it wasn't even a personal.

I think there are several strategies to this. One, you have to decide what order and where you'll submit based on several factors. How many stories do you produce in a month? What markets does your writing most fit?

For those of you who are really good at writing Analog style stories, I'd think that would be one of your top markets to target and writing only one story a year for them would take a very long time to break into the magazine. That's when using the Brad strategy might work well. If you've already sold some stories to them, then you'd start saving only your absolute best to them. If you're not even an Analog type writer, and you write those types of stories infrequently then it might not make as much sense to try to put a story in the que every 30-40 days...as it might mean you're putting a crumby story in every so often just to meet the quota. Unless you rock.

Whatever your plan of attack is, it will need to fit your writing speed and style.

wotf018

So much for that story being rejected and reworked soon enough for this quarter's WotF. Especially since my current story is sucking so hard.

Oh well. It just means I need to get this one hammered out in time if I want to get anything entered.

Hellstrom

Postby Hellstrom » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am

I submitted back in May and I'm still waiting. When I submitted, the guidelines said it takes weeks to respond. Now it says it takes on average 2 to 3 months. But if you go by Duotrope and the grinder and here, it's obvious that their "average" is nowhere near correct.

I'm puzzled as to why Analog finds it necessary to say their response times are far less than what they are. If they'd accurately report their response times, it would help clear their queue of stories because most people would submit elsewhere. Unless that's the reason--they want the stories and figure that they'd cheat a little on response times so that they keep them coming in. But with a backlog as deep as what they apparently have, it seems like clearing out the queue would be a good idea.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 am

Hellstrom wrote:I'm puzzled as to why Analog finds it necessary to say their response times are far less than what they are. If they'd accurately report their response times, it would help clear their queue of stories because most people would submit elsewhere. Unless that's the reason--they want the stories and figure that they'd cheat a little on response times so that they keep them coming in. But with a backlog as deep as what they apparently have, it seems like clearing out the queue would be a good idea.

Guidelines don't get updated that often. In fact, hardly ever. It's a low priority in their pile of things to do. Actually reading stories is higher priority, and getting a magazine out the door every month is higher still.

On top of that, no one likes to fall so far short of their targets. Changing the response times listed would be admitting something they would rather not accept and are trying to correct.

I don't see an easy answer here, but I do hope Trevor finds one!

NNiNN

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”