Analog Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
E.CaimanSands

Re: Analog Submissions

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
I don't see an easy answer here, but I do hope Trevor finds one!

Indeed. I have three stories sitting in the queue. In a few days I expect all three will be my longest submissions. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:12 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
I don't see an easy answer here, but I do hope Trevor finds one!

Indeed. I have three stories sitting in the queue. In a few days I expect all three will be my longest submissions. wotf005

I just submitted my sixth, and was one day late. I try to submit one every 30 days, so that once Analog starts reading material, I should get responses roughly once every month for about six months. Otherwise, they would only see one or, at best, two of my stories each year.

As an aside, Gator, are you still in play in the Strange Bedfellows Anthology?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Also, I forgot to ask:

Has anyone tried querying Trevor yet?

On the website it says it is fine to query after four months. I have two stories that have been there for more than four months, but I don't see any rejections that recently on Duotrope or Submissions Grinder, so I haven't bothered to query him yet.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:44 pm

hazlett wrote:Also, I forgot to ask:

On the website it says it is fine to query after four months. I have two stories that have been there for more than four months, but I don't see any rejections that recently on Duotrope or Submissions Grinder, so I haven't bothered to query him yet.

I did a sort of sidewise query: I have a sequel to "Murder on the Aldrin Express", and I asked if he wanted to see it or if his queue was overloaded; and I listed the stories I had in the queue, and asked if any had been lost.

His assistant confirmed that the stories were all there. She also said he was on vacation that week, and she would pass along my question about the sequel. No further reply yet.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm

hazlett wrote:Also, I forgot to ask:

I did a sort of sidewise query: I have a sequel to "Murder on the Aldrin Express", and I asked if he wanted to see it or if his queue was overloaded; and I listed the stories I had in the queue, and asked if any had been lost.

His assistant confirmed that the stories were all there. She also said he was on vacation that week, and she would pass along my question about the sequel. No further reply yet.

Yeah, I thought he was probably overloaded. I'll just wait a bit longer before sending any queries.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 am

hazlett wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

I just submitted my sixth, and was one day late. I try to submit one every 30 days, so that once Analog starts reading material, I should get responses roughly once every month for about six months. Otherwise, they would only see one or, at best, two of my stories each year.

I've stopped at three stories. I originally decided to do what you're doing, submit every 30 days regardless of how many I already had in the queue but I've changed my mind a bit while nothing is moving. My youngest submission is now at 50 days.

As for Strange Bedfellows, yep, I'm still in. Are you? I've been assuming so! (Gator says she'll wrestle you for it, but I've tried to explain to her, it doesn't work like that. wotf017 wotf013 )

It's great the way they're keeping us informed of the entire process though at the same time it's kind of painful, lol. I'm bound to get rejected at the last minute and will have been through all this anticipation for nothing. wotf001

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
hazlett wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

I've stopped at three stories. I originally decided to do what you're doing, submit every 30 days regardless of how many I already had in the queue but I've changed my mind a bit while nothing is moving. My youngest submission is now at 50 days.

As for Strange Bedfellows, yep, I'm still in. Are you? I've been assuming so! (Gator says she'll wrestle you for it, but I've tried to explain to her, it doesn't work like that. wotf017 wotf013 )

It's great the way they're keeping us informed of the entire process though at the same time it's kind of painful, lol. I'm bound to get rejected at the last minute and will have been through all this anticipation for nothing. wotf001

I was still in until today. Got my rejection at noon Pacific Time. Oh well. I'll make a professional sale at some point, but getting so close and missing the mark is starting to get really frustrating. ;-)
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

hazlett wrote:I was still in until today. Got my rejection at noon Pacific Time. Oh well. I'll make a professional sale at some point, but getting so close and missing the mark is starting to get really frustrating. ;-)

Bummer, Sean. I had my fingers crossed for you. (Do you know hard it is to type that way?)

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

hazlett wrote:I was still in until today. Got my rejection at noon Pacific Time. Oh well. I'll make a professional sale at some point, but getting so close and missing the mark is starting to get really frustrating. ;-)

Bummer, Sean. I had my fingers crossed for you. (Do you know hard it is to type that way?)

Thanks, Martin. Twos things make the rejection easier. First, Crossed Genres Magazine has a Conspiracy theme this month, and my Strange Bedfellows submission was a very short story (2,100 words) about a conspiracy in post-apolocalyptic America post "Moonstrike". Second, I am working on my novel for NaNoWriMo, so I have something to distract me.

At some point we'll have to review each other's novels. I'll commit to reviewing yours if you commit to reviewing mine, that is, if you're into World War II. wotf009
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 pm

I'll have to think about it. "Commit" is the right word. Last time I agreed to review a novel, I dropped the ball. I got too busy. I don't like to fall through on commitments, so I'm trying to learn to commit to less. Over commitment is one of my bad habits, and I want to break it. I'd like to review your novel, but I would hate to let you down.

My WWII knowledge is limited. I read one really good comprehensive history around 25 years ago, so I know the broad outlines (better than I was taught in school, at least); but I'm far from an expert.

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I'll have to think about it. "Commit" is the right word. Last time I agreed to review a novel, I dropped the ball. I got too busy. I don't like to fall through on commitments, so I'm trying to learn to commit to less. Over commitment is one of my bad habits, and I want to break it. I'd like to review your novel, but I would hate to let you down.

My WWII knowledge is limited. I read one really good comprehensive history around 25 years ago, so I know the broad outlines (better than I was taught in school, at least); but I'm far from an expert.

Agreed. First, I actually have to "commit" to writing the darn thing. But if I finish it, and if you finish yours, let's revisit the swap idea then. Otherwise, I can't imagine asking someone to read through an early draft novel without my offering something up in return. wotf007
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 pm

hazlett wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I'll have to think about it. "Commit" is the right word. Last time I agreed to review a novel, I dropped the ball. I got too busy. I don't like to fall through on commitments, so I'm trying to learn to commit to less. Over commitment is one of my bad habits, and I want to break it. I'd like to review your novel, but I would hate to let you down.

Agreed. First, I actually have to "commit" to writing the darn thing. But if I finish it, and if you finish yours, let's revisit the swap idea then. Otherwise, I can't imagine asking someone to read through an early draft novel without my offering something up in return. wotf007

Oh, and by the way, D'Alessio's grandfather will be in this book, and well, he's going to be just like D'Alessio (i.e., the lead character in "Spirals and Starways"). wotf015
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 am

hazlett wrote:
I was still in until today. Got my rejection at noon Pacific Time. Oh well. I'll make a professional sale at some point, but getting so close and missing the mark is starting to get really frustrating. ;-)

I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I was hoping we'd both get in. Though I think Hayden is liberalish so I couldn't help thinking, being a Republican, you were at a bit of a disadvantage there assuming your story is recognisably rightist. That might have been all that kept you out. And the length, 2100 words is very short. So don't get discouraged, it might just not have been a good fit for those reasons. Just keep writing, as Martin would say, and you'll get there.

If mine falls at the final hurdle I won't have any of these excuses. Mine is 3700, so only just a bit shorter than their ideal length.

I can't deny I'm getting antsy now. I'll probably find my submission was simply lost or something, then I'll look a complete fool for getting all anxious.

[Edit: I should perhaps add that my comment that Hayden is probably liberal is just a guess... based on the fact that the Senator he works for is a member of the Liberal Party of Canada, which according to Wikipedia is at the centre of Canadian politics. This is the extent of my knowledge on this subject! And no, I don't usually obsessively research the backgrounds/tastes/philosophies of editors I submit to... (ok I lied there, yes, yes I do sometimes! wotf019 ]

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:30 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
hazlett wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I was hoping we'd both get in. Though I think Hayden is liberalish so I couldn't help thinking, being a Republican, you were at a bit of a disadvantage there assuming your story is recognisably rightist. That might have been all that kept you out. And the length, 2100 words is very short. So don't get discouraged, it might just not have been a good fit for those reasons. Just keep writing, as Martin would say, and you'll get there. ]

According to his blog, he's a left libertarian. I consider myself a right libertarian. That said, I'm guessing the story was just too short. The politics in the story really couldn't be classified as left or right, because it was in a post apocalyptic setting, and it was more about the politics that ensue when you have any more than three people engaged in a particular endeavor. I think if it had been a right-leaning story it actually may have had a better shot as he was likely inundated with left-leaning stories and military science fiction.

But I'm not too worried. The story is actually a perfect fit for the Crossed Genre's theme this month. I hope to have better luck there.

Speaking of which, given that the subject of this thread is Analog, does anyone know what the heck is going on there now?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:55 pm

hazlett wrote:
According to his blog, he's a left libertarian. I consider myself a right libertarian. That said, I'm guessing the story was just too short. The politics in the story really couldn't be classified as left or right, because it was in a post apocalyptic setting, and it was more about the politics that ensue when you have any more than three people engaged in a particular endeavor. I think if it had been a right-leaning story it actually may have had a better shot as he was likely inundated with left-leaning stories and military science fiction.

But I'm not too worried. The story is actually a perfect fit for the Crossed Genre's theme this month. I hope to have better luck there.

Speaking of which, given that the subject of this thread is Analog, does anyone know what the heck is going on there now?

There's such a thing a Left libertarian. All I have heard or read have been righties.

And even though you story may not have been political you may have put in right libertarian ideas anyway. Something like blaming the government for whatever caused the apocalypse instead of blaming big business or pollution, or your people live well with hardly any government. That's kind of a simple illustration but it shows my point. Of course even if you did that doesn't mean it was rejected for that reason.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Hellstrom

Postby Hellstrom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:20 am

"Speaking of which, given that the subject of this thread is Analog, does anyone know what the heck is going on there now?"

I know how you feel. I re-read my story and imo it's really good. Since it's my first Analog sub, I'm not expecting an acceptance, but I'm excited to get this out there, if only Analog would hurry and reject it. Sheesh lol

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Hellstrom wrote:"Speaking of which, given that the subject of this thread is Analog, does anyone know what the heck is going on there now?"

I know how you feel. I re-read my story and imo it's really good. Since it's my first Analog sub, I'm not expecting an acceptance, but I'm excited to get this out there, if only Analog would hurry and reject it. Sheesh lol

Seriously. I have two stories at Analog that Asimov's hasn't seen yet, but I can't submit them until Analog rejects them.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:36 am

A friend on another website queried Analog recently. Their story was at ~150 days and Analog said it would be another 2-3 months. Which is about on target for what I expected when I sent mine in back in the beginning of September based on the sparse responses on duotrope and submission grinder.
HM x 6

Hellstrom

Postby Hellstrom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:44 am

How is Asimov's response times?

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Hellstrom wrote:How is Asimov's response times?

Way better than Analog's. About 54 days on average.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Jeffrey wrote:A friend on another website queried Analog recently. Their story was at ~150 days and Analog said it would be another 2-3 months. Which is about on target for what I expected when I sent mine in back in the beginning of September based on the sparse responses on duotrope and submission grinder.

Whoah!

Analog really is the new Tor.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Hellstrom wrote:How is Asimov's response times?

You were answered but I say they slowed down too but not nearly as bad as Analog.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 am

My first, and so far only, submission to Analog just hit 200 days and counting.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

preston

Postby preston » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

215 days, and counting...

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Ouch.

I have 3 in. 144; 99; 57 days. wotf014 I guess I'm going to be waiting a while.

wotf031

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Analog: Where submissions go to die.

Hence forth, anything I submit to Analog will be something that got rejected most other places. I hate sitting here for months, waiting for a yes or no, especially when there are other markets that don't have nearly as long a wait.

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:36 pm

201 days, from April. Last I heard, they were responding to March submissions.
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:54 am

209 day form rejection.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

preston

Postby preston » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Wow, that's a long wait for a rejection. I guess I should expect my rejection shortly: 228 days and counting.

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

katsincommand wrote:201 days, from April. Last I heard, they were responding to March submissions.

He must've heard me - 2 days later my rejection showed up.
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”