Analog Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
LDWriter2

Re: Analog Submissions

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:55 pm

katsincommand wrote:
katsincommand wrote:201 days, from April. Last I heard, they were responding to March submissions.

He must've heard me - 2 days later my rejection showed up.

I've had that happen to me. And not just with Analog.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

preston

Postby preston » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Rejected after about 235 days. No email rcvd. I found out by checking the status. So if any of you are waiting for an email rejection, you might try checking the status first. Just sayin'.

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 pm

That's definitely a good point, Preston. I know I'm not getting an email response because I changed email addresses, but I just checked and my story is still marked 'received.'

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Interesting.

I think I just received a rejection for a story that two months ago had been marked as rejected on my list of stories on their web site.

I say I think because evidently I didn't mark it as sent to them. I have another story I sent in Oct waiting but this one
as I said was already marked rejected.

I need to go to the web site and double check though. I see if I can find the conformation E-mail first.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm

The word from codex is that a few rejections are coming down the pipeline, but things are still very, very slow.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm

s_c_baker wrote:The word from codex is that a few rejections are coming down the pipeline, but things are still very, very slow.

Duotrope lists 29 responses since November 18, one as recently as Thursday. That includes form rejections, personal rejections, and one acceptance. Recent responses were in the 190 day range, though Thursday's was 177 days.

As my latest is now at 194 days, I think I am justified in linking to this video.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:16 pm

I got a rejection from Analog a few days ago. I think my story was at ~190 days, if that helps.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm going to have to start counting mine better. Of course he probably doesn't take more than a couple of minutes on mine but still takes awhile.

Oh and I guess they have my new E-mail address after all.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:The word from codex is that a few rejections are coming down the pipeline, but things are still very, very slow.

Duotrope lists 29 responses since November 18, one as recently as Thursday. That includes form rejections, personal rejections, and one acceptance. Recent responses were in the 190 day range, though Thursday's was 177 days.

As my latest is now at 194 days, I think I am justified in linking to this video.

Very strange. Two <180-day rejections on Duotrope in the last 5 days. Mine's at 194 days and I haven't been rejected yet. What's wrong with the world? Shlomo, the slow intern, must be reading mine...Once he does, I'm confident he'll restore balance to the universe...and free up my story so I can submit it to other markets. wotf004
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 pm

The slush pull is not 100% chronological. For one thing, we know Trevor often pulls names he recognizes sooner than others (though not my name lately -- I've been mostly in line with the other responses). I also suspect he sometimes pulls for length: if he only has time or need for shorter works, he pulls those first. There are lots of other reasons why the process is only semi-chronological.

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:The slush pull is not 100% chronological. For one thing, we know Trevor often pulls names he recognizes sooner than others (though not my name lately -- I've been mostly in line with the other responses). I also suspect he sometimes pulls for length: if he only has time or need for shorter works, he pulls those first. There are lots of other reasons why the process is only semi-chronological.

I like my Shlomo explanation better. It's less plausible than yours! wotf004
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Shlomo is always plausible...

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:The slush pull is not 100% chronological. For one thing, we know Trevor often pulls names he recognizes sooner than others (though not my name lately -- I've been mostly in line with the other responses). I also suspect he sometimes pulls for length: if he only has time or need for shorter works, he pulls those first. There are lots of other reasons why the process is only semi-chronological.

I like this explanation considering I recently got a 176 day form. I admit I *was* hoping it was a relatively quick turnaround for something like that or more likely on account of the fact I have 4 stories in the queue. (Yes, I sent another almost immediately that 176-day one came back. wotf013 ) Trevor must be thinking if he doesn't clear out some of my trash he'll soon be drowning in crazy gator woman stories. (And yes, the latest story submitted was my recent WotF HM-winning crazy gator story.)

As for the 176-day form, no great surprises there as this is the one that got a "send more" from Clarkesworld, and Clarkesworld is a very different market from Analog.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:Trevor must be thinking if he doesn't clear out some of my trash he'll soon be drowning in crazy gator woman stories. (And yes, the latest story submitted was my recent WotF HM-winning crazy gator story.)

As for the 176-day form, no great surprises there as this is the one that got a "send more" from Clarkesworld, and Clarkesworld is a very different market from Analog.

If he's trying to clear out Gator stories because you've submitted four, then he's gonna love me. Right now I have 7 in the queue, and if I don't hear from him soon, the next one I send him will be a fantasy story (yeah, I know, Analog doesn't buy fantasy). He's got 15 days (I only submit to Analog once every 30 days). wotf052
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:12 am

hazlett wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:Trevor must be thinking if he doesn't clear out some of my trash he'll soon be drowning in crazy gator woman stories. (And yes, the latest story submitted was my recent WotF HM-winning crazy gator story.)

If he's trying to clear out Gator stories because you've submitted four, then he's gonna love me. Right now I have 7 in the queue, and if I don't hear from him soon, the next one I send him will be a fantasy story (yeah, I know, Analog doesn't buy fantasy). He's got 15 days (I only submit to Analog once every 30 days). wotf052

Bravo! wotf010

Though no, I don't have four crazy gator stories in the queue. I have two. I've only ever written two (I figured I'd see first if anyone finds them funny before writing more.) The other two stories are my regular, hard-ish sf types.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 pm

hazlett wrote:

I had two there until I received this last rejection. I may go ahead and send another one in soon.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I've only got one thing over at Analog, but it's not at 166 days. Honestly, this is driving me up the freaking WALL! I hate waiting this long, especially on a story I really do feel pretty good about. At this point, I almost welcome a rejection.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 am

TomKnighton wrote:I've only got one thing over at Analog, but it's not at 166 days. Honestly, this is driving me up the freaking WALL! I hate waiting this long, especially on a story I really do feel pretty good about. At this point, I almost welcome a rejection.

You think you have problems? I have five stories at Analog, that's over half my total number of current submissions. (Yes I know, I'd resolved to at least stay in the two-figure zone for subs but I've trunked some either because they're never gonna sell or because they need rewriting).

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:17 am

Oh, I'm sure I'm fairly well off compared to others. Unfortunately, this is one of only two stories I have that I feel are the least bit publishable. The other one is working through the system now. I'm leaving Analog for last, since that is where manuscripts go to die apparently wotf007

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 am

So I still have a story out at Analog for 245 days. I queried Analog about it over two weeks ago, and have still heard nothing. I'm assuming it's lost or dead at this point.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:51 am

I am 246 days and also queried a week ago with no reply. I was wondering if they left shorter stories for longer?

Personally, I don't think I'll ever send anything to Analog again as rates and response times are so much better in the rest of the market.

Hellstrom

Postby Hellstrom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:37 am

hazlett wrote:So I still have a story out at Analog for 245 days. I queried Analog about it over two weeks ago, and have still heard nothing. I'm assuming it's lost or dead at this point.

I think it's unprofessional to leave writers hanging that long. I would send them an email withdrawing the story.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 am

hazlett wrote:So I still have a story out at Analog for 245 days. I queried Analog about it over two weeks ago, and have still heard nothing. I'm assuming it's lost or dead at this point.

I'd give them time to respond and write more while you wait. Yes, it sucks to wait, but typically the longer the wait, the better shot you have at acceptance. And under no circumstances would I withdraw your story.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote: Yes, it sucks to wait, but typically the longer the wait, the better shot you have at acceptance.

On the flip side, if you get rejected after the better part of a year, it still sucks. Especially since you start to think your story is just that much closer to acceptance.

Which is why I'm not getting my hopes up. If they accept it, they accept it. If not, no big. It's a good story. It'll find a home somewhere.

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:I'd give them time to respond and write more while you wait. Yes, it sucks to wait, but typically the longer the wait, the better shot you have at acceptance. And under no circumstances would I withdraw your story.

Normally, I'd agree. The problem is both hazlett and Leo have been waiting for 245+ days and their story hasn't even been looked at. The submission system still says received (right?). So it's not like they're sitting on Trevor's desk awaiting final decision. They haven't even been looked at, which if that was normal slush then again I'd still agree to let it sit. But Analog has gone through at least one round of general slush rejection (I actually think two, correct me if I'm wrong Leo), so it looks as if they've been lost in the shuffle of whatever is going on over there. Frustration is understandable and querying in these cases doesn't seem out of line. The long wait past normal slush, coupled with the non-response to a query (which I'm not clear on if Trevor does or the managing editor) raises a legitimate question in my mind of withdrawing.

Curious what others think.
HM x 6

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
ThomasKCarpenter wrote:I'd give them time to respond and write more while you wait. Yes, it sucks to wait, but typically the longer the wait, the better shot you have at acceptance. And under no circumstances would I withdraw your story.

Normally, I'd agree. The problem is both hazlett and Leo have been waiting for 245+ days and their story hasn't even been looked at. The submission system still says received (right?). So it's not like they're sitting on Trevor's desk awaiting final decision. They haven't even been looked at, which if that was normal slush then again I'd still agree to let it sit. But Analog has gone through at least one round of general slush rejection (I actually think two, correct me if I'm wrong Leo), so it looks as if they've been lost in the shuffle of whatever is going on over there. Frustration is understandable and querying in these cases doesn't seem out of line. The long wait past normal slush, coupled with the non-response to a query (which I'm not clear on if Trevor does or the managing editor) raises a legitimate question in my mind of withdrawing.

Curious what others think.

Point of order: Trevor never uses the "Under Review" indicator. Sheila does, but he never has. My stories have been in "Received" state right up to the point that he rejected them (and after, a couple of times). You can't tell from the status whether it has been read or not.

Definitely query if that helps you decide what to do.

NNiNN

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Point of order: Trevor never uses the "Under Review" indicator. Sheila does, but he never has. My stories have been in "Received" state right up to the point that he rejected them (and after, a couple of times). You can't tell from the status whether it has been read or not.

Great info. So this "Under Review" is a conscious user interaction? If I were using this software, I could opt to turn this off?
HM x 6

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Point of order: Trevor never uses the "Under Review" indicator. Sheila does, but he never has. My stories have been in "Received" state right up to the point that he rejected them (and after, a couple of times). You can't tell from the status whether it has been read or not.

Great info. So this "Under Review" is a conscious user interaction? If I were using this software, I could opt to turn this off?

I really don't know how it works from their end. I just known that with Sheila, I see "Under Review" a couple of days before she answers, but I never do with Trevor.

NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
Point of order: Trevor never uses the "Under Review" indicator. Sheila does, but he never has. My stories have been in "Received" state right up to the point that he rejected them (and after, a couple of times). You can't tell from the status whether it has been read or not.

I always figured the under review lasts only a couple of hours, maybe half a day at most so I never expected to hit it just right with either Asimov's and Analog.

And I need to get down and send a story to each.

I don't know if Sheila sends a personal comment or has any levels of rejections but she has been reading my stuff since she took over so it would be nice if she recalled my name at least.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Very interesting that not all readers use the under the review button. I can't help feeling that I am simply lost in the machine though. Not sure why they are ignoring queries...

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”