Analog Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
hazlett

Re: Analog Submissions

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Leo T. Lion wrote:Analog just replied to say I am still under consideration. Is this a good sign? Does this mean they might actually like it? Or just that they haven't read it but will do? It feels like quite a positive response...

That sounds like a fantastic reply!

Especially since I just received the boilerplate:

"We received your manuscript (#111111, "Name of Story") on June 6, 2013. We are currently responding to submissions sent to us in June, so you should be hearing back from us very soon. If you do not, please feel free to query again. In the meantime, you can check the submissions system for your story's status by searching its title, tracking number, or email address.

We thank you for your patience.

Best,
The Editors"

I'm hoping that different interns responded to ours. Otherwise, I'm losing hope.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Sorry, Hazlett! They might both be equally meaningless!

I can't even imagine being accepted by Analog. This story is so old I've revised it about three times since!

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Leo T. Lion wrote:Sorry, Hazlett! They might both be equally meaningless!

I can't even imagine being accepted by Analog. This story is so old I've revised it about three times since!

What's most frustrating for me is that this story is the most "Analog" of all the stories I've written, so I can't so easily just dismiss the possibility that it might seriously be considered. If it were any other story, I would have assumed it was lost.

Only time will tell, I guess.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am

How did you query? I replied to their last response - the one inviting us to query again. Maybe that pushed them to take a look?

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Leo T. Lion wrote:How did you query? I replied to their last response - the one inviting us to query again. Maybe that pushed them to take a look?

I did the exact same thing so they would have some context, but the response was literally a cut and paste from Analog's last response to my query.

My best guess is that our stories are both on the bubble. If space opens up in a future issue and Analog doesn't have a story by a big name to fill a story of a certain length, then maybe we have a shot. I can't see any other justification for holding our stories for so long. If Analog had lost either story, I think we both would've received rejections by now, especially after multiple queries.

Martin, do you have any theories?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

I'm not Martin (despite what Ishmael says), but:

No News Is No News.

Ommm.

(Also, not sure I mentioned it here but I got my form rejection on the 25th of February at 145 days, with slightly higher tier language mentioning that Trevor liked my writing style.)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:55 am

I've now hit 200 days, so I'll be querying in a little bit.

Here's hoping I get some kind of movement.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:30 pm

TomKnighton wrote:I've now hit 200 days, so I'll be querying in a little bit.

Here's hoping I get some kind of movement.

I'm at 280 days and counting...
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 am

Hazlett,

How long did it take for you to hear back on your query? I sent it yesterday morning, but figured it would take a couple of days to hear anything. I just have no idea what is normal.

I'm in all new territory on this stuff now.

Thanks!

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 am

TomKnighton wrote:Hazlett,

How long did it take for you to hear back on your query? I sent it yesterday morning, but figured it would take a couple of days to hear anything. I just have no idea what is normal.

I'm in all new territory on this stuff now.

Thanks!

I sent my second query on a Tuesday and I got the exact same answer that I'd received for my first query by Friday.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks!

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:42 am

I'm getting worried now. My story needs to get rejected or accepted quickly - or else I may find myself accepted at Apex. Now I am beginning to regret the rush of irate blood to the head which led me to sim sub it!

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Leo T. Lion wrote:I'm getting worried now. My story needs to get rejected or accepted quickly - or else I may find myself accepted at Apex. Now I am beginning to regret the rush of irate blood to the head which led me to sim sub it!

I wouldn't worry about that. The chance of that happening (i.e., getting an acceptance to both Apex and Analog) is about 0.005% based on Duotrope's latest data.

If Apex accepts your story, then immediately withdraw it from Analog.

After all, they've been sitting on it for 282 days.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Wonder if it means anything that my stories take less time. Easier for him to decide no?
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Wonder if it means anything that my stories take less time. Easier for him to decide no?

Who knows? Analog's rejected three stories I've sent after the 283-day one, so Trevor's had no problem coming to a decision on those.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only two possibilities:

1) The story's under active consideration
2) The story's lost (though I imagine Analog would have told me this when I queried)
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:52 am

hazlett wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:Wonder if it means anything that my stories take less time. Easier for him to decide no?

Who knows? Analog's rejected three stories I've sent after the 283-day one, so Trevor's had no problem coming to a decision on those.

2) The story's lost (though I imagine Analog would have told me this when I queried)

3) Was lost, now found, so back in the To Read pile.
4) Lost, but they sent a form reply to your query.
5) Trevor has actually read it and made a decision, but it's his reply that's lost. (This has happened to me, twice. Both times he realized it when he replied to other stories.)
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
hazlett wrote:

3) Was lost, now found, so back in the To Read pile.
4) Lost, but they sent a form reply to your query.
5) Trevor has actually read it and made a decision, but it's his reply that's lost. (This has happened to me, twice. Both times he realized it when he replied to other stories.)

I really hope it's not 2-5. And if it is, that I at least get a personal rejection.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:53 am

Analog are haunting my dreams!

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:56 am

I can imagine. I know how I'm dealing with my wait, and I'm not quite as long as you guys at this point.

Of course, over 200 days is a long time no matter what. I'm well past the average over at The Grinder, which is not a good feeling, especially when you figure there's a good likelihood of a rejection.

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 am

FWIW, still no word on my query sent on Friday.

I can't say that I don't want to be impatient, because the ship has set sail on that one. I just don't want to seem impatient.

Easier said than done. wotf001

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:40 am

TomKnighton wrote:FWIW, still no word on my query sent on Friday.

I can't say that I don't want to be impatient, because the ship has set sail on that one. I just don't want to seem impatient.

Still waiting at 287 days. I figure I'll send query #3 at 300 days.

The trick will be how to write a query that is insistent but not rude.

Leo, is your piece still being considered at Apex?
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 am

hazlett wrote:

Wait, you sent a story to Analog that's been sitting on their desk for 287 days??? Holy cow, that's a long wait time. I hope it isn't typical.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 am

onelowerlight wrote:
hazlett wrote:

Wait, you sent a story to Analog that's been sitting on their desk for 287 days??? Holy cow, that's a long wait time. I hope it isn't typical.

No, I don't think it's typical. But I don't think it's necessarily uncommon either.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:03 pm

There's at least three of us who've waited over 200 days on this board. I'm the most junior of the three with 207 days so far.

Although, from what I understand, Analog is desperately trying to catch up on their slush. Hopefully they'll knock it out soon and we can all either cash our checks or at least move on. :)

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Well, shoot. I guess I won't be submitting to that market again for a while. And I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the story tied up there isn't one of my better ones.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 pm

TomKnighton wrote:There's at least three of us who've waited over 200 days on this board. I'm the most junior of the three with 207 days so far.

Although, from what I understand, Analog is desperately trying to catch up on their slush. Hopefully they'll knock it out soon and we can all either cash our checks or at least move on. :)

Indeed interesting even though I am not one of you guys. The story I have left there has only been there two months at the most.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Leo T. Lion

Postby Leo T. Lion » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 am

Well, Apex haven't the rejected me yet. I hope we hear something soon. They must be about to do another round of responses.

TomKnighton

Postby TomKnighton » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:34 pm

onelowerlight wrote:Well, shoot. I guess I won't be submitting to that market again for a while. And I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the story tied up there isn't one of my better ones.

Going forward, Analog will probably be my last pro market unless they get their response times down a bit. I don't mind a couple of months, but I'm beginning to think that my story should be fully invested in Analog's 401K program at this point. wotf007

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm

TomKnighton wrote:
onelowerlight wrote:Well, shoot. I guess I won't be submitting to that market again for a while. And I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the story tied up there isn't one of my better ones.

Going forward, Analog will probably be my last pro market unless they get their response times down a bit. I don't mind a couple of months, but I'm beginning to think that my story should be fully invested in Analog's 401K program at this point. wotf007

I spoke with a former editor of one of the pro online magazines yesterday. He said that a 288-day wait time is a good sign, especially if the magazine doesn't tell you the story is lost after multiple queries. He said it is also fairly common before a pro mag takes on a new author.

I don't know if this advice applies in this situation, but at least there's a case for some optimism.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

preston

Postby preston » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm

hazlett wrote:
TomKnighton wrote:

I spoke with a former editor of one of the pro online magazines yesterday. He said that a 288-day wait time is a good sign, especially if the magazine doesn't tell you the story is lost after multiple queries. He said it is also fairly common before a pro mag takes on a new author.

I don't know if this advice applies in this situation, but at least there's a case for some optimism.

Sounds like it. I'm routing for you, Sean!

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”