Penumbra Submissions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Rebecca Birch

Re: Penumbra Submissions

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:35 pm

preston wrote:Well, after re-reading my Fairy story, I hate it. So I wrote another one and I'm much happier with it. Just sent it in. I think I have a fairy good chance this time.
Good luck to all who entered. Oh, and Stewart, I just saw your name on the cover of the upcoming Japanese mythology issue. Congrats again.

Good luck, Preston!

I expect everyone still waiting on the Fae issue will probably hear back in the not-too-distant future. Mine's been out so long, I've almost forgotten what the heck I wrote.

wotf004
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

preston

Postby preston » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks Rebecca, Good luck to you too. Looks like we got a lot of us entering this time, so hopefully we'll own the entire issue! It could happen.
wotf001

Serrain

Postby Serrain » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:26 pm

That would be pretty damn awesome. wotf007 I submitted for this one too, after sitting a few issues out due to lack of appropriate stories. Never written a Fae-type story, ever, but eh, figured it was worth a shot. It was also my latest HM story. Thankfully I got it back with plenty of time to edit down the word count. >.>

Good luck everyone!
Laura Hardgrave
I look up, and stars dive into sunlight.
5 HMs
[blog] [fb] [twitter]

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm out. Apparently, my hook wasn't strong enough for them. wotf005

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:07 pm

I sent mine in...finally.

The one I really wanted to send in still hasn't come back yet, according to their return time I still have a month and a half before its late. It would have fit their sensibilities too. Another one that could fit was way too long for them.

I had two that were short enough even though both were more light hearted. One had a better theme so I sent that one.

wotf017 My more serious pieces never do well so I'm not expecting much from this one here but it's in.

The next one, which is right now, I may sit out, an Alfred Hitchcock story??? Yikes. But it would be wild to try one...stretching too.

The Gaslight Fantasy may or may not be fun but I think could do it. If I gave myself time.

Family Traditions of the type they seem to want...well...hmmm. Even though I want to do one where someone really grabs the Turkey and runs.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

preston

Postby preston » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm out too. But they were really nice about it:

Dear Preston,

Thank you for submitting to Penumbra eMag. Turning this story down was a very hard decision for me because it almost has what it needs to make our issue. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass. Your story has a very interesting take on the fairy-human relationship, but it feels like it's missing some of the build up.

Then they provided an example, which was definitely helpful. So close...but no go for me. Good luck to all still in, and on to the next theme. Alfred. Yes...I've heard of him.

Serrain

Postby Serrain » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Bah, mine was rejected too. I did get a couple sentences of feedback that may help me strengthen the beginning of the piece though, so it's not all a loss.
Laura Hardgrave
I look up, and stars dive into sunlight.
5 HMs
[blog] [fb] [twitter]

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

I got nothing on my rejection, they didn't like the story or the writing. I guess.

nice going to everyone else, at least a couple must have come close.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Well, here's a thing. I just received a personal rejection of my fae submission. Apparently it made the final round but not the issue. However the editor enjoyed my work and will be glad to see more.

Three other rejections arrived whilst I was away, but two of those (Waylines and Shimmer) also contained editorial comment on the submission, making a first, second and third such response in my experience of short story rejections.

These were my second submissions to Penumbra and Shimmer and in neither case did the rejection of the first submission contain comment on my story. I don't want to read too much into this, but I can't help a sneaking feeling that I may at last be beginning to do something right.

Now if I can only get my WotF batting average back above the Mendoza Line ...
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

I also received a final round rejection from the Penumbra Fae issue.

Congratulations on getting so close, Ishmael, and on the personal rejections at other markets as well. It's always a good feeling.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Ishmael wrote:Well, here's a thing. I just received a personal rejection of my fae submission. Apparently it made the final round but not the issue. However the editor enjoyed my work and will be glad to see more.

Three other rejections arrived whilst I was away, but two of those (Waylines and Shimmer) also contained editorial comment on the submission, making a first, second and third such response in my experience of short story rejections.

These were my second submissions to Penumbra and Shimmer and in neither case did the rejection of the first submission contain comment on my story. I don't want to read too much into this, but I can't help a sneaking feeling that I may at last be beginning to do something right.

Now if I can only get my WotF batting average back above the Mendoza Line ...

I don't know if this is an encouragement or not but you're doing better than I am. I have received a personal comment only from Shimmer. And my Fae story was a total reject. Still wish I could have sent that other one that is still out. I think it was more what they wanted.

Next time you'll get them...you're closer and closer.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks LD and congratulatory commiserations to Rebecca. I do actually like this story a lot and I just wonder if it finally missed out for being insufficiently fae. As you know, I am usually to be found astride genre boundaries rather than unequivocally definable. This one is fae / modern comic fantasy.

Does anybody have any tips for where I should send it next?

hlf

Postby hlf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 am

My story made it into the fae issue!
HL Fullerton

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 am

hlf wrote:My story made it into the fae issue!

Congratulations, HL! Way to go. wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 am

Grats, hlf, that's awesome :)
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:35 am

wotf010 Congrats!

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 am

Outstanding! Look forward to reading it!

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:13 am

Congratulations
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Congrats

It's good someone from here made it especially all those close calls. You guys are all good writers after all.

Again Congrats to hlf.

Be sure to tell us when that issue is on sale. Know the month but not the date.
Last edited by LDWriter2 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

preston

Postby preston » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Congrats HL, and to all those who almost made it.

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:55 am

Congrats, hlf! wotf010

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:01 am

Right, so I'm in for Hitchcock and my second attempt at Gaslight (the first became 10,000 words) has been launched and tips the scale at just 3,500. I have no takers for the 10,000 over in the exchange thread, but if anyone feels they could cope with 3,500 I should appreciate it. I'm still feeling my way with steampunk.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Good going there with the writing.

I didn't even try because I don't do Alfred Hitchcock type of stories but maybe I do have something that has been floating around in my head for a couple of years that might work but no time right now to do it.

The Gaslight Fantasy sounds fun, I have done steampunk but this is different--they want more suspense than usual--at the same time like I said it sounds fun. And I would have another month to write one. I could do it, at least get the basic plot right, hmmm.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 am

LDWriter2 wrote: Good going there with the writing.

Thanks. I'm still running with the jump start from the last story in a day challenge. For me 17,000 words and three complete stories in three weeks is quite astonishing. I don't doubt that for some it would be slow, but I'm very pleased.

LDWriter2 wrote:The Gaslight Fantasy sounds fun, I have done steampunk but this is different--they want more suspense than usual--.

Do you think so? I think the brief will stand various interpretations. If we all wrote creature features it would be a rather standardised issue.

However, here is an opportunity for this former Edinburgh worker to point out to all and sundry that the world seems unable to pronounce that good old Scottish name Jekyll - that's JEEKILL folks, just as in the famous garden designer Gertrude Jekyll, well known for collaborations with the architect Edwin Lutyens. (At least that's the view from this side of the border, which is the side RLS hails from.)

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 am

Congrats Hlf!

I'm not surprised at all. I remember reading a story of your a long while ago during a critique and just loved the tone and style! Can't wait to read it.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Ishmael wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:The Gaslight Fantasy sounds fun, I have done steampunk but this is different--they want more suspense than usual--.

Do you think so? I think the brief will stand various interpretations. If we all wrote creature features it would be a rather standardised issue.

However, here is an opportunity for this former Edinburgh worker to point out to all and sundry that the world seems unable to pronounce that good old Scottish name Jekyll - that's JEEKILL folks, just as in the famous garden designer Gertrude Jekyll, well known for collaborations with the architect Edwin Lutyens. (At least that's the view from this side of the border, which is the side RLS hails from.)

Well, they call it gaslight fantasy for a reason. I don't think you need a monster, nor as they say, blood splattered street walkers but I would think suspense would be good. I have the beginning of a basic idea. Actually, it's a take off from a steampunk novel I read about two months ago. Rather dark and full of dark creations.

But Ohhhh, boy I just weirded myself out,

I reread my phrase "Street walker" and a new definition came to mind. Zombies wondering around the streets. Okay that isn't so bad but it's what they do for a living that got me saying Yuck and worse. Something that belongs in the Nightside or Um, someone whose name I forgot twisted humor.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:00 pm

I went over a story in my head. If I can remember it all, I have one to send it. It will be more lighthearted but still have suspense--I hope.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 am

When do they decide/open the next lot of themes? I'm not really feeling any of the remainder for this year.
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 am

Tamlyn wrote:When do they decide/open the next lot of themes? I'm not really feeling any of the remainder for this year.

They do say that's when a professional writes his / her best stuff. So let's all try writing down a first sentence on Family Traditions and see where it goes. Actually I wrote my last piece on the strength of having a good title that really needed a story. Of course it does remain to be seen whether they consider it a good story, but at least it exists.
wotf002

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Tamlyn wrote:When do they decide/open the next lot of themes? I'm not really feeling any of the remainder for this year.

They do say that's when a professional writes his / her best stuff. So let's all try writing down a first sentence on Family Traditions and see where it goes. Actually I wrote my last piece on the strength of having a good title that really needed a story. Of course it does remain to be seen whether they consider it a good story, but at least it exists.
wotf002

Ishmael has a good point there.

I've attended 3 Kris Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith coast workshops and each time they give out the themes for short stories, a few I would have never tried if not for them forcing the theme on me. Some of my best stories have come out of those workshops (even had a sale from one of them).

Luckily not all of Penumbra's themes are too specific, there's some wiggle room. Even with Family Traditions it could be almost anything in any time period or milieu.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”