Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
jkenton

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby jkenton » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks, all. :)

I'd still shiv a panda for more details on the rejection, but I understand how busy these folks are.

Now where did I put that old toothbrush...

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm

jkenton wrote:And the Penumbra Near Miss is now a Clarke'sworld Near Miss. Still, knowing that my first submission anywhere ever (outside the pending WoTF submission) is some quality work does wonders for me. Knowing the story hit the top 6% of their current crop sweetens the brew considerably. It's nice to know I'm on the write...er, right track at least.

So that makes two near miss for the same story. That's good. Makes it sound like it will get picked soon.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:
jkenton wrote:And the Penumbra Near Miss is now a Clarke'sworld Near Miss. Still, knowing that my first submission anywhere ever (outside the pending WoTF submission) is some quality work does wonders for me. Knowing the story hit the top 6% of their current crop sweetens the brew considerably. It's nice to know I'm on the write...er, right track at least.

So that makes two near miss for the same story. That's good. Makes it sound like it will get picked soon.

Yup. I'm hitting magazines based on their turn-around time really rather than rates. Thinking of Daily SF next. I'd still make things go poorly for Ling Ling to find out for certain if there was a simple technical burr (say a bad transition or rough, clunky spot of dialogue that soured an otherwise printable story, or simply a case where I didn't quite meet the intersection of content/editor desire.

C'mon Ling Ling, back to your box...

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 pm

So I've reached DSF's 2nd round for the 3rd time. 2nd in a row.
Sure there are folks who have 3 or more publications with them, but I'm glad to know I'm at least doing something right. Now - if they'd just buy one...
wotf013
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

liz

Postby liz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:So I've reached DSF's 2nd round for the 3rd time. 2nd in a row.
Sure there are folks who have 3 or more publications with them, but I'm glad to know I'm at least doing something right. Now - if they'd just buy one...
wotf013

Sounds like your on the right track! A promising track, in any case wotf007

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:So I've reached DSF's 2nd round for the 3rd time. 2nd in a row.
wotf013

Congrats!

How many days does it usually take to get the notification for the 2nd round?

Just curious, because I obviously haven't been as successful there.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

wotf013

Good luck, Dustin! I haven't managed to crack the second round there yet. wotf008
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Got my first personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF. I've been looking forward to this since the day I started submitting fiction. Woot! wotf013
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Got my first personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF. I've been looking forward to this since the day I started submitting fiction. Woot! wotf013

Congrats!
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

preston

Postby preston » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
wotf013

Good luck, Dustin! I haven't managed to crack the second round there yet. wotf008

Yay, Dustin! So far I've sent 7 stories to them. Only one has second-rounded. With three under your belt, they've got to recognize you by now. Sounds like you're in the door at least! The longest they've ever taken to respond for me is 21 days. My current submission is now at 22, so...fingers crossed!
Good luck with your story, Dustin.
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)
Last edited by preston on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preston

Postby preston » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Got my first personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF. I've been looking forward to this since the day I started submitting fiction. Woot! wotf013

Congratulations, Rebecca. Second rounding is so inspiring. Can't say I'm surprised though. From what I've read of your stuff, you'll be pro-ing out soon enough. You better win this contest soon! Just saying! wotf009
Hope your story finds a nice expensive home.
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Congrats!

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Did he say anything different then the usual rejection?

Oh and Niiice.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm

wotf013

That's sounds good to me...since I've never gotten past the first stage there. I tried again tonight with my 300 word story but I don't expect much.

So good going to you.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Congrats, Dustin! Hope you make it in soon!

And congrats to you, too, Rebecca! I'm sure my rejection will be following soon. So glad it was a personal!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:55 am

Gratz! wotf006 Bucket list tick!

I think I'm gonna send 'em my first Gator story soon. I hope their first reader has sturdy ankles.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

preston

Postby preston » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm

I got a nice email today. I've made it to the final round at Andromeda! wotf003 Somehow my story got past the first two rounds of readers wotf017 and now it has, I'm told, a "1 in 20 chance" of getting published. wotf010 I'm getting close! I sooo want to post on that darn success thread! wotf007
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

PS: Sorry about all the smilies. Couldn't help it.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Woo-hoo! Good luck!!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

geoedwar

Postby geoedwar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm

preston wrote:I got a nice email today. I've made it to the final round at Andromeda! wotf003 Somehow my story got past the first two rounds of readers wotf017 and now it has, I'm told, a "1 in 20 chance" of getting published. wotf010 I'm getting close! I sooo want to post on that darn success thread! wotf007
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

I went to look up Andromeda because I'd never heard of it (I'm new to all of this) and I found this gem-

.We're just not the best market for doom-laden go-nowhere stories which push the boundaries of the English language into new and unfortunate places.

Sounds like a fun magazine! wotf010
“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” -Voltaire-

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 pm

preston wrote:I got a nice email today. I've made it to the final round at Andromeda! wotf003 Somehow my story got past the first two rounds of readers wotf017 and now it has, I'm told, a "1 in 20 chance" of getting published. wotf010 I'm getting close! I sooo want to post on that darn success thread! wotf007
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

Woohoo! Good luck to you!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

Great news! I've made it past the first round a few times, but that was years and years ago.
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 am

Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

Good luck Preston!

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Woot Preston! Good luck!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

preston

Postby preston » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone!
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

That sounds good, a congrats is in order. Save the E-mail. wotf007

Hopefully a very large Congratulation will be in order.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Go, Preston!!

This isn't an "almost success" but I don't know where else to put it. I got a 54-day form rejection from Tor.com today. The important part of that isn't the form reject; it's the 54 days. Tor.com used to have response time better measured in YEARS than days, and anything under 300 days was considered fast for them.

Their slush team has been hard at it, and response times are under two months now. They say their goal is to have an average response time somewhere around 30 - 45 days. I'll confess that I didn't believe a word of it until I saw the steady downward spiral on Duo (yes, I subscribed).

So - form reject - Boo! BOO!

54 days? Woo hoo!

And, as further proof that the Mayans were right, Tor.com now has a shorter average response time than Analog. About half. :D
Last edited by Kary English on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

jkenton

Postby jkenton » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Kary English wrote:Go, Preston!!

This isn't an "almost success" but I don't know where else to put it. I got a 54-day form rejection from Tor.com today. The important part of that isn't the form reject; it's the 54 days. Tor.com used to have response time better measures in YEARS than days, and anything under 300 days was considered fast for them.

Their slush team has been hard at it, and response times are under two months now. They say their goal is to have an average response time somewhere around 30 - 45 days. I'll confess that I didn't believe a word of it until I saw the steady downward spiral on Duo (yes, I subscribed).

54 days? Woo hoo!

And, as further proof that the Mayans were right, Tor.com now has a shorter average response time than Analog. About half. :D

Thanks for sharing that! Tor was one of many places I wanted to submit material to, but the response time left me shaking my head sadly and looking elsewhere. (Not so much the need for instant gratification so much as the need to get my work generating feedback for me sooner, rather than later so I can learn. The "Near Miss" rejections such as those I've gotten from Clarkesworld and Penumbra" at least tell me I'm on the right track, vs the "not what we're looking for" which could mean "Not what we're looking for" or "Please die in a fire before submitting again." So any place with a reasonable turn-around time is

And the fact that they've bought more slush monkeys suggests some good things on the horizon for our niche in the industry in general.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 am

Kary English wrote:Go, Preston!!

This isn't an "almost success" but I don't know where else to put it. I got a 54-day form rejection from Tor.com today. The important part of that isn't the form reject; it's the 54 days. Tor.com used to have response time better measured in YEARS than days, and anything under 300 days was considered fast for them.

54 days? Woo hoo!

Good news indeed! I think that settles it. Tor is going to go on my magic list, probably above Analog too! wotf009
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Got another personal from Gordon today. Woo-hoo on the personal!

No idea what to send next. His assistant clearly likes my sense of humor, but not so sure about Gordon. Perhaps a black knight with no arms and legs would suit his tastes better? wotf013
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

geoedwar

Postby geoedwar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm

My story to Asimov's is going on 37 days out and the status has changed to "under review" at least two days ago. I'm just happy it's not an immediate reject!!
“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” -Voltaire-

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”