Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
liz

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby liz » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am

Davian Aw wrote:I just got the most amazing 28 day personal rejection from Cory Skerry at Tor.com for my latest submission. Among other things, it ended with: "Please send us more of your stories in the future. I would consider it a personal favor if you addressed your next cover letter to me so my co-workers will let me be the first to read it."

I don't even have mixed feelings. I'm just emotionally compromised in a good way. :')

It totally makes up for the time when Tor kept my story for almost a year and then gave me a form rejection.

Very nice wotf009

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:31 am

amoskalik wrote:
Davian Aw wrote:I just got the most amazing 28 day personal rejection from Cory Skerry at Tor.com for my latest submission. Among other things, it ended with: "Please send us more of your stories in the future. I would consider it a personal favor if you addressed your next cover letter to me so my co-workers will let me be the first to read it."

I don't even have mixed feelings. I'm just emotionally compromised in a good way. :')

It totally makes up for the time when Tor kept my story for almost a year and then gave me a form rejection.

28 days! That's light speed for them. Or do they have a separate queue for flash fiction that is faster than the normal 120 + days?
Congrats on an awesome personal wotf007

I think that these days Tor has gone from c.365-day responses to c.28-day responses, which is amazing in itself. Funny thing, I had a story I wanted to forget about for a while so I submitted it to Tor; and now my hour of doom is approaching too fast wotf018
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am

george nik. wrote:
amoskalik wrote:

28 days! That's light speed for them. Or do they have a separate queue for flash fiction that is faster than the normal 120 + days?
Congrats on an awesome personal wotf007

I think that these days Tor has gone from c.365-day responses to c.28-day responses, which is amazing in itself. Funny thing, I had a story I wanted to forget about for a while so I submitted it to Tor; and now my hour of doom is approaching too fast wotf018

Ah, I see now. They were closed to submissions for 3 months in which time they whittled down their slush pile by 90 days or so.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, it's really quick for them. I got my submission in right after they reopened in May, so I probably made it before manuscripts started piling up again.

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:26 am

Guess that explains my 31 day rejection. Didn't realize it was three months.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:46 am

I'd been expecting a lot of rejections this week, and many arrived indeed -- I had 5 rejections yesterday, which is a personal record. But there was an acceptance as well, so it wasn't all that bad after all! wotf014 wotf008 wotf005
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 am

george nik. wrote:I'd been expecting a lot of rejections this week, and many arrived indeed -- I had 5 rejections yesterday, which is a personal record. But there was an acceptance as well, so it wasn't all that bad after all! wotf014 wotf008 wotf005

Congrats on the yes, and yeah getting a bunch in one day is downer.
There's story I heard from Connie Willis on how she nearly quiet when she went to the post and there was a stack of rejections, luckily for us she had some to send out and did it anyway and one of those was her first sale.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:29 am

Five! The best I've done is four. Guess I'll have to send 'em out faster.
Congrats on the acceptance.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks, Amos and Bob!

I'm at 93 submissions so far in 2015, but rejections usually come in batches... wotf002
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:57 am

For the first time ever, I reached the second round in Clarkesworld...aaaaand then got a form rejection.

It's a tough market, so 2nd round is awesome, even more so because I think myself a baby writer [both by age and experience]. I'm not sure Neil ever sends out personals, though.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

AliceBrook wrote:For the first time ever, I reached the second round in Clarkesworld...aaaaand then got a form rejection.

It's a tough market, so 2nd round is awesome, even more so because I think myself a baby writer [both by age and experience]. I'm not sure Neil ever sends out personals, though.

Very good. I got a your "story was close" once, or something like that.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am

I got "The story is cute, but I’m afraid it's not quite right for me. I look forward to your next one, though. " from Sheila Williams at Asimov's. I haven't seen this before. Can anyone advise?
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Ishmael wrote:I got "The story is cute, but I’m afraid it's not quite right for me. I look forward to your next one, though. " from Sheila Williams at Asimov's. I haven't seen this before. Can anyone advise?

Personal rejection with a desire for more?
wotf009
Well done
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks Bob, I did wonder about that, though to be frank the only personal word is 'cute.' That does not seem to me like a form rejection word, but I thought I'd check if anyone else had experienced it.

I recall that during my brief membership of Codex I got an awful lot of 'cute' comments from other members. I'm not quite sure what that word means in American, though I suspect it might reflect the influence of H H Munro (Saki) on my writing style.

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:55 am

I'm pretty sure it's a higher tier form. I've had the same, but with sweet instead of cute (and sweet is indeed applicable to the story in question). So it's definitely better than a basic form, which obviously doesn't have a send more request!
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks, Tamlyn. That's very helpful. I'm going to count it as a personal, I think. Mind you, I don't know how easy it will be to produce something similar. wotf012

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Ishmael wrote:Thanks, Tamlyn. That's very helpful. I'm going to count it as a personal, I think. Mind you, I don't know how easy it will be to produce something similar. wotf012

I didn't respond to the first post since I have never seen anything like the cute comment-the best I can do is "send another story"-but it sounded more personal. She at least read the whole thing.

From the other responses it almost sounds like she leaves one word open to leave a mini personal comment.

But would another story have to the same type? She might take anything from you.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:38 am

LDWriter2 wrote:But would another story have to the same type? She might take anything from you.

I guess so, but when you seem to attract a bit of interest it's tempting to try and go with the same sub-genre. This one however is hard to emulate. It's an SF rom-com. It now has three personals and a James White longlist as well as its record-breaking 27 day first round rejection from WotF!

I'm struggling to know where to place it or why it doesn't quite get across the line anywhere.
wotf017

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Ishmael wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:But would another story have to the same type? She might take anything from you.

I guess so, but when you seem to attract a bit of interest it's tempting to try and go with the same sub-genre. This one however is hard to emulate. It's an SF rom-com. It now has three personals and a James White longlist as well as its record-breaking 27 day first round rejection from WotF!

I'm struggling to know where to place it or why it doesn't quite get across the line anywhere.
wotf017

You have three-four-rejections on it? From what I have heard from various sources, a story like that will sell. Once or twice I have heard stories of someone with a story with 10 to 20 rejections and each one has a personal comment or an almost but not quite rejection but usually they sell sooner than later.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:54 am

Ishmael wrote:I got "The story is cute, but I’m afraid it's not quite right for me. I look forward to your next one, though. " from Sheila Williams at Asimov's. I haven't seen this before. Can anyone advise?

Oh that's, dare I say it, cute! wotf006
I think I've had a couple of "personal" Rs from Sheila in the past, I forget the precise wording but I think they were something like, "nicely done..." and "send more". Certainly never seen, or heard, of "cute" before though. Sooo cute... wotf001

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm

wotf060

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:31 am

Grinder shot!

Is the top one Tor?
Anyone else I'd be like, yo, you're holding my story too tight.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:16 am

wotf019 Call that waiting?

The top half of my days out column reads: 438. 207, 187, 147, 116, 97, 97 ,96, 95*, 88, 79, 72, 72, 64#, 63**, 56.

* = Analog # = WotF ** = Tor

All of the top three have been back to me about the submission, so they weren't lost in transit. I study the graphs repeatedly to try to figure out how far each of these stories has got. And I follow the tried and tested principle:

NNINN

wotf017

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:30 am

Heh, yeah that's definitely way longer than mine. wotf007

The first one is from Inscription Magazine. On their Facebook page they say they've sent out all the clear rejections and any story still with them is still under consideration. They're a new mag that pays pro rates, so I'm happy I've gotten this far, but it's been forever.

I seem to have reached that stage where I get lots of hold requests; then a year or so later they send a rejection and break my heart.

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:44 am

Gods, the waiting is the hardest part of this gig.
Do not get into writing unless you can sit and sit and sit.
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 am

Davian Aw wrote:Heh, yeah that's definitely way longer than mine. wotf007
I seem to have reached that stage where I get lots of hold requests; then a year or so later they send a rejection and break my heart.

You can have a really enjoyable time doing that at Andromeda Spaceways. It's hard enough to get into their third round. I have yet to get out of it positively.

On the other hand, one of these days when we are rich and famous authors we shall look back at all those times when editors erroneously threw our work in the trash can after holding on to it for six months, place our thumbs on our noses and wiggle our fingers at them. (Well we do that on my side of the pond anyway.)

On the other side I believe they go wotf004

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I see some here are discussing-venting-obessing on wait times.

I used to wait a lot-months for each market. Ten to twenty at a time. Except for F&SF-they took six to eight days most of the time. One time they took two months and another even longer. Once I sent in a story and the next week sent another, I received the rejection for number two before the rejection for number one. So did they lose it for a week or so, took a second look without telling me?

Anyway, now almost everyone has speeded up. Even IGMS ,who used to take the longest, are down to about two to three weeks the last three times I sent them a story. Of course that could just mean they are used to my writing now so know what to expect, which means faster turnovers. And of course my output has slowed way down which means now I may have five stories out at a time--maybe. I really need to get back into the habit of sending out stories each week.

And F&SF with the new editor is actually taking longer--two full weeks or so. Lightspeed on the other hand can be one day or less. I just get to the point of relaxing and waiting when ding-you got Email. He could give me a day at least to hope. Or they were for a while. My last couple of stories took awhile longer.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 am

Really? Reaaally? wotf012
Story got a 2nd round, then a personal with notes, then one form, I redrafted it, then submitted again.
This time Story's ''lost momentum in the middle''

Now I can't tell whether the ''loss of momentum'' is because of the market itself, or if the story, did, in fact, lose momentum. I mean, the responses I got are positive - even more so considering Story is in 2nd person present tense. Still, I'm at a loss. Should I resubmit or touch it up?

...dammit.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:11 am

I don't have much patience with the slower markets these days, I'd rather just self publish the wretched story. If a market takes longer than 6 months for the average acceptance that's too long in my view. And I've never sent to many non pro-paying markets (with a few exceptions--Interzone; Giganotosaurus).

Anyhow, that said, I've managed to push my submission numbers back up to nine--though of those five are orange and one is red on the Grinder. Aaaargh! wotf027

Actually I'm about to send another query to one of them. I had to query them last time too.... But it has to be done. My purple dot is to the right of all the little red lines and that single green line... wotf005

Green!

Oh hello, G. Yes, we like green, don't we.

Green rocks.

Something we can agree on, at last.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:59 pm

189 days. How 'bout them apples? And I see the others on The Grinder think they got personals. Well I'm sorry but if they got what I got it looks like a form to me. There is nothing specific to the story being rejected, which is the test I use unless I'm being very charitable to myself.

So maybe them swabs didn't get what you got. Ever think of that?

You trying to make me feel better or worse here?

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”