Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
User avatar
DaneCurley
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby DaneCurley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:09 am

chuckt wrote:
I didn't. Looking at my old emails, looks like they don't use one of those submission systems. You just email your story.


Appreciate knowing that. Feel less like my work is floating in limbo, now.

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby chuckt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Man! Got a "Didn't quite grab me" from F&FS along with a couple of tips on the story. Close but no cigar?
36.1 R

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby RSchibler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:16 pm

chuckt wrote:Man! Got a "Didn't quite grab me" from F&FS along with a couple of tips on the story. Close but no cigar?


I count those as wins. wotf009
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, pending, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

User avatar
DaneCurley
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby DaneCurley » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm

chuckt wrote:Man! Got a "Didn't quite grab me" from F&FS along with a couple of tips on the story. Close but no cigar?


Free Feedback from a Professional Editor = Good stuff!

User avatar
DaneCurley
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby DaneCurley » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 am

After 80 days, I heard back from GE:

"...We’re overflowing with submissions right now, and so I must be extra-picky. Your* writing is strong, but not quite up to the other pieces I’m passing... Wish I had better news. Good fortune on submitting to another market..."

Never made it to Mike's desk. On the bright side, nice to hear the rejection was due to a seasonal need to be "extra-picky." And I guess that keeps the submission alive as a "blind" submission to WotF!

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby chuckt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 pm

DaneCurley wrote:After 80 days, I heard back from GE:

"...We’re overflowing with submissions right now, and so I must be extra-picky. Your* writing is strong, but not quite up to the other pieces I’m passing... Wish I had better news. Good fortune on submitting to another market..."

Never made it to Mike's desk. On the bright side, nice to hear the rejection was due to a seasonal need to be "extra-picky." And I guess that keeps the submission alive as a "blind" submission to WotF!


Hey! Personal notes are great. On the right track. Good job. wotf010
36.1 R

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm

I got a Charlie from F&SF today.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, ?

User avatar
Thomas Woodward
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 am

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Thomas Woodward » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:45 pm

I just got the following rejection letter from F&SF on a previous HM of mine:

From: CC Finlay <notify@moksha.io>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 1:37 PM
Subject: "[my Story Title]" / F&SF
To: Thomas C Woodward <[my email address]>


Dear Tom,

Thank you for giving me a chance to read "[my Story Title]." Unfortunately, this story didn't win me over for Fantasy & Science Fiction and I'm going to pass. But I wish you best of luck finding the right market for it and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.

Best regards,

Charlie
--
C.C. Finlay, Editor
Fantasy & Science Fiction

fandsf.com | @fandsf


Can anyone confirm if this is a form or personal? (I checked the rejection wiki and it didn't quite fit any of the templates listed)
3x R
5x HM

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

Helge Mahrt
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Helge Mahrt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

I got a similar rejection for my HM today. I'd say these are personal :)
"
Dear Helge,

Thank you for giving me a chance to read "<story title>." I liked the quality of the prose and I liked the beginning of the story, but the narrative lost momentum for me and overall the story didn't quite grab me. I'm going to pass on this one for Fantasy & Science Fiction, but I wish you best of luck finding the right market for it and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.

Best regards,

Charlie
"

Helge Mahrt
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Helge Mahrt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:19 am

I read some more on this. Looks like Finlay uses 3 tiers of templates, according to this blog post: http://www.ccfinlay.com/blog/nectar-for-rejectomancers.html
Mine would be the lowest tier rejection and yours the highest. wotf010

User avatar
DaneCurley
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby DaneCurley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am

Thomas Woodward wrote:I just got the following rejection letter from F&SF on a previous HM of mine:

From: CC Finlay <notify@moksha.io>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 1:37 PM
Subject: "[my Story Title]" / F&SF
To: Thomas C Woodward <[my email address]>


Dear Tom,

Thank you for giving me a chance to read "[my Story Title]." Unfortunately, this story didn't win me over for Fantasy & Science Fiction and I'm going to pass. But I wish you best of luck finding the right market for it and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.

Best regards,

Charlie
--
C.C. Finlay, Editor
Fantasy & Science Fiction

fandsf.com | @fandsf


Can anyone confirm if this is a form or personal? (I checked the rejection wiki and it didn't quite fit any of the templates listed)


High tier Form, according to his blog.
I got one myself from him recently.

It seems the absence of criticism or comment in this form reply is meant as a compliment. As in, we didn't win HIM over, but he read it through, recognized it was high level writing, that there were no glaring problems, and that we should move onto the next editor who might really enjoy our work, unchanged.

Good luck with yours! Unfortunately, mine is super niche. I don't think anyone wants it. DM me for conversation about our stories and markets we can try for.

Dane

User avatar
Thomas Woodward
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 am

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Thomas Woodward » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 pm

I did some digging and found an interesting post on the subject on the absolutewrite forums:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/archiv ... -p-33.html

*********************************
JJ Litke
07-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Here they are: https://twitter.com/ccfinlay/status/622077408154222593
https://twitter.com/ccfinlay/status/622077808525729792

He says: "Didn't grab me" - opening hook didn't grab me "Lost momentum" - middle didn't hold me
and
"Didn't win me over" - ending didn't work for me "Pieces didn't come together" - story didn't feel cohesive to me

I've gotten the "didn't win me over" one, and I started working on a new ending for that story.

Oh oh, and to get a direct link to a tweet, click on the time stamp for that tweet. I had to look it up some time ago when I was trying to do that, it's really not intuitive at all.

*****************************************

I sent my HM out to Clarkesworld (form R), Asimov's (form R), F&SF (form tier 3 template - see above post), and now sending to BCS.

this post, if true, is very helpful - this means I can work on my ending :)
Last edited by Thomas Woodward on Fri May 03, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3x R
5x HM

"No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." — Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 am

TFW you scroll back through old F&SF rejections and realize that half your stories have received Charlies, actually. wotf015
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, ?

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby chuckt » Sun May 05, 2019 5:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:TFW you scroll back through old F&SF rejections and realize that half your stories have received Charlies, actually. wotf015


He seems like a nice guy. I'm sure that takes a lot of time.

What does an acceptance note look like? I'm beginning to think I will never learn the answer from first-hand experience.
36.1 R

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 am

chuckt wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:TFW you scroll back through old F&SF rejections and realize that half your stories have received Charlies, actually. wotf015


He seems like a nice guy. I'm sure that takes a lot of time.

What does an acceptance note look like? I'm beginning to think I will never learn the answer from first-hand experience.

Couldn't tell you yet. Keep trying, though! Write what you care about, and sooner or later someone else will care too.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, ?


Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest