Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
chuckt

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby chuckt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just got an extremely detailed personal rejection from Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores. We're talking almost 350 words. wotf015

On the one hand, they definitely read my story start to finish. On the other hand, a lot of the issues they had stemmed from wanting more depth on the world-building, and I don't want to tweak this story anymore unless I'm expanding it into a novel. This was my finalist piece, and it's basically been to all the other relevant pro markets anyway, so changing it at this point probably won't help anything. wotf017

wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

Personal rejections are awesome. A sale would be better of course but I get a lot of gas out of the few I've gotten. I know lots of people believe the love of writing should be enough but I think it's okay to need that validation.
36.1 R, 36.2 R

czing

Postby czing » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:59 am

disgruntledpeony That is a LOT of feedback. Sounds like a mixed blessing in this case given the submission history. But good feedback can always help the next story (at least that is what I hope for when I get it).

Will you try sending it out to some of the lower paying markets? Or hold onto it for a future anthology of your own stories? Will you extend it to novel/novella length?

Hope you find a home for it!
HM - Q1 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm

czing wrote:disgruntledpeony That is a LOT of feedback. Sounds like a mixed blessing in this case given the submission history. But good feedback can always help the next story (at least that is what I hope for when I get it).

Will you try sending it out to some of the lower paying markets? Or hold onto it for a future anthology of your own stories? Will you extend it to novel/novella length?

Hope you find a home for it!

Yeah, it was the best feedback I've gotten with a rejection from pretty well anywhere. If I'd gotten that back when the story was new and fresh in my mind, I absolutely would be scrounging my mind for possible edits. As it is, I'm much more inclined to simply take those thoughts into account when I work toward expanding that story into part of a novel (which I will definitely be doing as soon as my Q4 is finished).
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, ?

czing

Postby czing » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm

That sounds great. I hope your novelization goes well (I have a longish short story that I have similar plans for so hopefully you'll post something about your progress to inspire me to get to work on mine :) )
HM - Q1 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:24 am

Despite my protests to the contrary, I now find myself editing that story before submitting it to a newly available venue. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

czing

Postby czing » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:27 am

Well that sounds good to me. Hope the edits go very well and there is an acceptance headed your way! It sounds win-win to me since you can always take the novel track you were considering before if you need to :)
HM - Q1 v 36

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:21 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Despite my protests to the contrary, I now find myself editing that story before submitting it to a newly available venue. wotf019

Know the feeling even though the comments don't happen often unless I send a story to BCS. You go get 'em. You can.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

DaneCurley

Postby DaneCurley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am

Made the "Long List" of a beautiful Indie Print magazine. Fingers very crossed for the Short List and Approval. I think the story is an especially good fit, but know so many others are out there writing their hearts out.

WriterGirl0426

Postby WriterGirl0426 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:46 pm

DaneCurley wrote:Made the "Long List" of a beautiful Indie Print magazine. Fingers very crossed for the Short List and Approval. I think the story is an especially good fit, but know so many others are out there writing their hearts out.

Congrats, and good luck!
Tracy

V34 Q3: R
V34 Q4: R
V35 Q1: R
V36 Q1: SHM
V36 Q2: SF!!! wotf015

czing

Postby czing » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

DaneCurley good luck.

My own story which had been held for consideration by Diabolical Plots unfortunately just got a rejection. "Loved the imagery and concept here!" was the comment. I'm not as sad as I thought I would be - it was such a roller coaster watching the progress (you can see the numbers change as they accepted and rejected ones in the second round). I didn't get my rejection until the very end (there were just 4 in the pile the last time I refreshed the page before I got my rejection). So I'm telling myself they thought about it until the very last minute :) Maybe I'll use that one for my Q4 submission.
HM - Q1 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

czing wrote:My own story which had been held for consideration by Diabolical Plots unfortunately just got a rejection.

Same. It's all good, though. They liked my setting and some of the twists I threw into my story. On to F&SF! (It's usually my first market I sub to after WotF, but they were closed for submissions at the time.)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

czing wrote:DaneCurley good luck.

My own story which had been held for consideration by Diabolical Plots unfortunately just got a rejection. "Loved the imagery and concept here!" was the comment. I'm not as sad as I thought I would be - it was such a roller coaster watching the progress (you can see the numbers change as they accepted and rejected ones in the second round). I didn't get my rejection until the very end (there were just 4 in the pile the last time I refreshed the page before I got my rejection). So I'm telling myself they thought about it until the very last minute :) Maybe I'll use that one for my Q4 submission.

Sounds like a good one for Q4. You have proof it already ranked well with another pro market!

Best of success!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:10 am

Got a rejection from DreamForge, but it was a long shot anyway due to the length. Not sure if this is a form rejection or whether it has a personal touch to it:
Helge, Thank you for your patience while we reviewed your story “[redacted],” unfortunately, we're going to pass this time. There is good work here, but it is way too long for our needs at the moment, and we didn’t quite feel it was compelling or engaging enough as it is. We look forward to seeing work from you again in the future, and we wish you luck with submitting this story to other venues (it may be fine as is for another editor.) As we publish more stories and unlock more of them for registered users and visitors, please do read us and you'll get a better sense of what seems to catch our fancy. If you’re interested, I wrote an essay on “How to write for DreamForge.” You’ll find it here: https://dreamforge.mywebportal.app/drea ... eamforge-1 All our best. Scot Noel DreamForge Magazine

Off to the next market wotf001
R, HM, ??
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:44 am

Just got a rejection from Third Flatiron for their Longevity anthology.

I'm sorry your story, “[Redacted]" didn't make the final cut for Third
Flatiron's "Longevity"-themed Fall/Winter 2019 anthology. We hope
you'll be able to find another home for it. We did enjoy reading
this tale about [redacted].

Thanks for submitting it to us, and please keep us in mind for
our next submission period, which we'll advertise on our website.

It's a bit different from what I've gotten from them in the past, which is usually more of a form "Thanks for letting us read [blank], but we've decided we won't be able to use it" type of rejection. Not sure if they've just changed up the text for their rejections or if I made a higher tier this time around, but either way, but it's always nice to get a positive and personalized rejection note.

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for the link, but I had actually already checked on there to see if there was anything. Unfortunately, I don't see Third Flatiron on there anywhere.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:07 pm

WillShadbolt wrote:Not sure if they've just changed up the text for their rejections or if I made a higher tier this time around, but either way, but it's always nice to get a positive and personalized rejection note.

I would argue that if it's personalized in any way it's not really a form (any effort made beyond basic copy/paste is a good sign).

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Very true, disgruntledpony, thanks for the advice

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:38 pm

WillShadbolt wrote:Very true, disgruntledpony, thanks for the advice

No problem. It's the little things that keep us writers sane. wotf019

czing

Postby czing » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Just got a personalized rejection from F&SF - liked my world building but the story didn't quite win them over. So that feels good-ish. That story has gotten a bit of feedback on the quality of the world building but hasn't quite convinced anyone to take it. A couple more places I want to send it and then it can rest for a little while (maybe make another entry in an upcoming quarter in this contest).
HM - Q1 v 36

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”