Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who might have advice for such a thing.
On April 6th, I received this email from a place I submitted to:
We have good news and we have bad news. The good news is that your story has made our second round, rarified company that more than 90% of submissions do not reach. While half or more of our second round stories will not ultimately see publication under [name of publication], this story has reached the final go/no-go...
The bad news--and I promised you some bad news--is that it will take us time to make that final decision. Expect an additional two weeks or so, but don't be surprised if it's a month from today. Thanks for your continued patience, and thanks for sending us this worthy submission.
Yesterday was the 30 day mark from when they sent this email, (yes, I am counting the days, don't judge), so I guess I'm wondering how I should handle this. They specifically said "a month from today"... How long should I wait before I query? And what do I even say without sounding too much like: I'm-a-nervous-impatient-obsessive-and-slightly-buggy-writer-oh-my-gosh-why-have-you-not-emailed-me-back-yet!!!! Nobody wants that...
I really appreciate any advice you can give, and thanks ahead of time.