Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Davian Aw

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Davian Aw » Tue May 30, 2017 6:25 pm

This one almost broke my heart; from Liminal:

"The story is excellent, but it's not quite right for us. Thanks for the read -- I loved the emotional depth and complexity of this piece, and the multi-layered protagonists felt rounded and real."

wotf017

This story has been getting a lot of similar rejections where editors say they loved it, but no. wotf014

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Davian Aw wrote:This one almost broke my heart; from Liminal:

"The story is excellent, but it's not quite right for us. Thanks for the read -- I loved the emotional depth and complexity of this piece, and the multi-layered protagonists felt rounded and real."

wotf017

This story has been getting a lot of similar rejections where editors say they loved it, but no. wotf014

wotf030 I get it, Davian. Those are always rough. wotf005
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 pm

aww, thanks. XD

At least when rejections tell me about the things they didn't like, I have something to work on before resubmitting. But with these, there's nothing to go on. This and another story keep getting really close - including being shortlisted two or three times - so I know they're good, but they're proving near-impossible to sell.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed May 31, 2017 6:45 am

Davian Aw wrote:aww, thanks. XD

At least when rejections tell me about the things they didn't like, I have something to work on before resubmitting. But with these, there's nothing to go on. This and another story keep getting really close - including being shortlisted two or three times - so I know they're good, but they're proving near-impossible to sell.

Just keep sending it out until it sells. When you get rejections like that it just means you haven't found the right market at the right time. In fact the more places you send a quality story like that before it sells, the better, because you are making a good impression in multiple markets and therefore they are more likely to take a closer look at your next offering.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”