Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby LaurieG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Jason Parker wrote:Just got my first personal, from F&SF. wotf007

Wow Jason!!! Congrats!
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects
LaurieG

Postby Jason Parker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:34 pm

LaurieG wrote:
Jason Parker wrote:Just got my first personal, from F&SF. wotf007

Wow Jason!!! Congrats!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy because I got some feedback i can actually use. Apparently I have some structural problems. That I can use.

The message:

Dear Jason,

Thank you for giving me a chance to read "-----------." Unfortunately, this story didn't quite win me over -- it felt more like the first chapter of something longer to me -- and I'm going to pass on it for F&SF. I wish you best of luck finding the right market for it and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future.

Best regards,

C.C. Finlay, Editor
Fantasy & Science Fiction
fandsf.com | @fandsf
Jason Parker

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:02 am

C.C. Finlay seems to be good for personals, I've noticed. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043
disgruntledpeony

Postby LaurieG » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:05 am

OK, my next submission is going to F & SF!
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects
LaurieG

Postby Jason Parker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:16 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:C.C. Finlay seems to be good for personals, I've noticed. wotf007

That's what she said.
Jason Parker

Postby george nik. » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm

It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, but I feel that I must.

Editor's telling me that he enjoyed my story, it held his attention right up to the end, and he goes on to say that it was his favorite for the week.

He doesn't buy it, though.

(sigh)

Give me form acceptances, any time.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 3 HM
Fiction (EN): 32 stories sold, 23 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:43 pm

george nik. wrote:It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, but I feel that I must.

Editor's telling me that he enjoyed my story, it held his attention right up to the end, and he goes on to say that it was his favorite for the week.

(sigh)

That's... That's just rough. wotf030
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
disgruntledpeony

Postby Ishmael » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:44 am

That sounds like a hair's breadth, George. I know how you feel about so close and yet so far. However it's really better for one's self confidence than a form rejection, isn't it? wotf012
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 8 x HM, WotF batting average .500
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.
Ishmael

Postby amoskalik » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 am

Ishmael wrote:That sounds like a hair's breadth, George. I know how you feel about so close and yet so far. However it's really better for one's self confidence than a form rejection, isn't it? wotf012

It is. On the down side, this type of rejection usually comes months later than a form rejection which gives you more time to get your hopes up.

Still it's better than waiting months to find out they never got my submission in the first place because I failed to successfully fill out all the fields on the Submittable form (which happens more times than I'd like to admit).
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R
amoskalik

Postby bobsandiego » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 am

george nik. wrote:It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, but I feel that I must.

(sigh)

That's the sort of thing that drives a person to drink.
(just don't drive back -- that's not safe.)
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0
bobsandiego

Postby george nik. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:

(sigh)

That's... That's just rough. wotf030

Thanks, peony! I needed that wotf007
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Ishmael wrote:That sounds like a hair's breadth, George. I know how you feel about so close and yet so far. However it's really better for one's self confidence than a form rejection, isn't it? wotf012

I don't know, Philip, is it? wotf002

Form rejections annoy me. This... Well, it's cool in a way. In another way, it's just frustrating.

As I'm sure you know very well too, writers oscillate between extreme self confidence and utter self doubt. However, I'm extremely self confident by nature, and I've got enough sales lately to boost my ego even more. So I don't think I need any more proof that I am good enough... I just need acceptances! wotf005 wotf011
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:17 pm

amoskalik wrote:

It is. On the down side, this type of rejection usually comes months later than a form rejection which gives you more time to get your hopes up.

In fact this was a 5-day rejection. On the other hand, I've got 150-day forms. There are fast markets and there are slow... thankfully we've got the Grinder so we know what to expect.

amoskalik wrote:
Still it's better than waiting months to find out they never got my submission in the first place because I failed to successfully fill out all the fields on the Submittable form (which happens more times than I'd like to admit).

That sucks. I've waited for months on AE only to find out I accidentally sent them an attachment instead of pasting the story to the email... but well, I submit to >100 day markets when I'm desperate anyway so I didn't really mind that. I just submitted to them again. There are stories I really feel I must sell and there are stories I just want to send somewhere and forget about for a long time wotf011
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:17 pm

bobsandiego wrote:

(sigh)

That's the sort of thing that drives a person to drink.
(just don't drive back -- that's not safe.)

wotf019
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page
george nik.

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:14 am

Even though this is a "publication," I'm putting it here because it's not really a success. This little ditty made the top cut for both DSF and FFO, but was ultimately rejected. So, on it went to a sure thing, TFFP, grossing me a whopping $3.00. wotf006

Anyway, in case you're interested:

http://www.theflashfictionpress.org/2016/08/29/two-words/
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3
Randy Hulshizer

Postby amoskalik » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:Even though this is a "publication," I'm putting it here because it's not really a success. This little ditty made the top cut for both DSF and FFO, but was ultimately rejected. So, on it went to a sure thing, TFFP, grossing me a whopping $3.00. wotf006

Anyway, in case you're interested:

http://www.theflashfictionpress.org/2016/08/29/two-words/

Great story. A sales a sale. Congrats!
amoskalik

Postby Ishmael » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 am

And a very neat piece too. Well done. wotf008
Ishmael

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks
Randy Hulshizer

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Ok either C.C. Finlay is some kind of power reading machine that plows through every story entry, or he must have really taken a liking to my work. I just got my second personal rejection from F&SF this month. I really hope this is a good sign, and he doesn't just read and critique all entries. Perhaps he's keeping an eye on me now, so I really have to step up my game!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 3x HM, 12x R
IOTF: Before Rankings - 4x R
After Rankings - 1x Semi
Imagination Vortex

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:33 am

I think I've finally graduated from the near 100% form rejection phase to the about 50% personal rejection phase. In the past three months or so, I've received seven personal rejections on various stories including a couple HMs from WotF. Many of the rejections have read something like this (sometimes with more specific suggestions):

"We really enjoyed reading this interesting piece. You should easily be able to get this published, but it's just not a fit for our publication."

I guess if I really want to sell stories I'll need to start "honing" them for particular markets instead of just writing what I want to write. Although something feels a little wrong with that.
Randy Hulshizer

Postby amoskalik » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:22 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:I think I've finally graduated from the near 100% form rejection phase to the about 50% personal rejection phase. In the past three months or so, I've received seven personal rejections on various stories including a couple HMs from WotF. Many of the rejections have read something like this (sometimes with more specific suggestions):

"We really enjoyed reading this interesting piece. You should easily be able to get this published, but it's just not a fit for our publication."

I guess if I really want to sell stories I'll need to start "honing" them for particular markets instead of just writing what I want to write. Although something feels a little wrong with that.

It doesn't hurt to have a particular market in mind. That might raise the odds from say 2% to 5% or maybe even 10% but if that market doesn't take it you're still going to keep sending it out until it sells so wotf017 why not write what you like?
amoskalik

Postby Ishmael » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:24 am

For what it may be worth, my poetry submission just set the Grinder 12 month record for the longest time to a rejection by Rattle (157 days).

It was fairly crazy to submit Tyke poetry to a US publisher, I thought. Maybe not so silly after all since they do seem to have thought about it.

Essentially there appears to be no market in the UK for poetry that (The Horror!) usually both rhymes and scans.

I understand that some other US poetry outlets still do actually publish poetry, so if anyone knows another one, do please point me towards it.

wotf011
Ishmael

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:59 pm

(sigh)

Should see the one I got from Heroic Fantasy Quarterly earlier this year. They informed me that they held my story for publication and then decided not to!

wotf017

Two tries later and my markets exhausted for it, it got a rewrite adding about 3000 words and is now a self-published novelette.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
J'nae Rae

Postby Davian Aw » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:48 am

Got a 140 day personal from Interzone. :P He said he liked a lot of things about the story, but ultimately couldn't convince himself it was right for the magazine, and asked that I send more. Prior to this all I ever got from Interzone were form rejections after 1-2 days, so it's at least an improvement! I'd had my hopes up, though.
Davian Aw

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 am

I got what was either a personal or a general 'This shows promise, please submit more' rejection from Lawless Lands. While the encouragement to submit to them again pleased me, I was hoping I'd actually make the cut.

Oh well. Back to submitting and writing! wotf042
disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 am

Got my first personal from IGMS today! The editor said he loved the idea but the protagonist seemed a bit bland, which means I'm going to look the story over and see if it needs more internal conflict. (He also said he didn't think one of the other characters seemed vicious enough, but I think that's open to interpretation because of the nature of said character and the wide variety of characterizations in the mythos he was inspired by. Also, I was trying to keep the story PG-13.)
disgruntledpeony

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Got my first personal from IGMS today! The editor said he loved the idea but the protagonist seemed a bit bland, which means I'm going to look the story over and see if it needs more internal conflict. (He also said he didn't think one of the other characters seemed vicious enough, but I think that's open to interpretation because of the nature of said character and the wide variety of characterizations in the mythos he was inspired by. Also, I was trying to keep the story PG-13.)

Not too bad at least You seem to be getting close
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html
LDWriter2

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:47 am

LDWriter2 wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Got my first personal from IGMS today! The editor said he loved the idea but the protagonist seemed a bit bland, which means I'm going to look the story over and see if it needs more internal conflict. (He also said he didn't think one of the other characters seemed vicious enough, but I think that's open to interpretation because of the nature of said character and the wide variety of characterizations in the mythos he was inspired by. Also, I was trying to keep the story PG-13.)

Not too bad at least You seem to be getting close

Close, perhaps, but not there yet. I got another personal rejection on the same story, this one from Shimmer. They said that long stories are a hard sell for them right now and the story seemed slower-paced than the ones they usually buy.

...I really could only think of one scene that might be considered slower-paced, and it's necessary to the story.
disgruntledpeony

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:28 am

Funnily enough I recently got a PR for a story being too fast-paced. I don't think this has ever happened to me before, though the reverse frequently has. Maybe I over-corrected.

In this case the entire action of the story takes under three hours so I'm going to need some effort if it's to be slowed down. Probably not worth it for the sake of one PR.
Ishmael

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:28 am

Ishmael wrote:Funnily enough I recently got a PR for a story being too fast-paced. I don't think this has ever happened to me before, though the reverse frequently has. Maybe I over-corrected.

In this case the entire action of the story takes under three hours so I'm going to need some effort if it's to be slowed down. Probably not worth it for the sake of one PR.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless you get that critique multiple times.
disgruntledpeony

Previous

Return to Publishing: The Business Of